DAFC.net
Home 20 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Instagram queues
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 10 Dec 04:01

I am fortunate enough to live in a very picturesque part of Australia, on the southern shores of the Mornington Peninsula about an hour`s drive south of Melbourne.

On the side of the peninsula where I live, we have long sandy beaches and face the open ocean, with thousands of miles of nothingness between us and Antarctica. It is a paradise for photographers, walkers and surfers alike.

Less than 10 minutes drive away on the other side of the peninsula is the bay where pretty touristy townships, many with long wooden piers, form a conurbation that stretches all the way to the outskirts of Melbourne.

Driving to my north for about 15 minutes and I come to hills with vineyards and strawberry farms and orchards on their slopes. Dairy farms with cows and goats, even llamas graze at pasture. It is a rural picture reminiscent of the prettiest countryside of France. You can even take a cable car to the top of one of these hills and enjoy epic views in all directions.

If you were to buy a calendar of Australia, there`s a 90% chance that at least one of the months will have a picture of a location that`s within a short ride from home for me.

It`s the same for you in Scotland - Rannoch Moor, Ben Nevis, Eilean Donan, Fife`s East Neuk, Edinburgh Castle, etc. It is always the same places in the pictures.

So, what am I trying to say here?

Well, it is just that I have noticed this very strange phenomenon in recent times where I see people queuing to take photos in those scenic spots near my home.

But what is oddest about it is that they are all aiming to stand in precisely the same spot in exactly the same pose. These queues can be quite long!

I have since discovered that this `selfie` craze is for people`s Instagram page. I don`t use Instagram, but I must say that it does seem to be one of the stranger trends in modern life.

:)

Post Edited (Thu 10 Dec 04:21)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Instagram queues
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 10 Dec 07:53

If it's not the lighthouse from Round the Twist then I'm not interested. 😂

I think most tourists go for the same stuff. I know someone who air BnB's his spare room. Everyone follows the same route - Edinburgh, Stirling Castle, Loch Ness, Glasgow.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 10 Dec 08:38

[If it`s not the lighthouse from Round the Twist then I`m not interested. 😂]

On clear evenings, standing on the clifftops, I can see that lighthouse flashing its light every 20 seconds or so. It is the known as the Split Point Lighthouse. I haven`t spotted any ghouls or dragons or Swirling Derfish flying around it yet, but you never know...

Round the Twist was just such a great show.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Dec 09:08

It may be a cliche, but they don't make them like that anymore! It's a beautiful part of the world too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 10 Dec 09:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-aoeituE38

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 10 Dec 12:22

Robert Louis Stevenson`s father and grandfather (?) were famous lighthouse builders - did they ever make it out to Aus ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Dec 19:06

It's an impressive light house and there's a nice walk round behind it. I think when we were there the house Nell lived in was gone though I may be making that up.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net