DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hebrides - Recomendations
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 15:48

When all this is over and we can travel again, I’d like to visit for a week (ideally late March for birthday) and wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

I’d be interested in seeing a whisky distillery, spending time near the water (walking) and being somewhere quiet but not to remote, eg pub nearby for evening (and if there’s other stuff to see that works be a bonus(castles, traditional crafts, wildlife - I’d love to see whales which I think are to that way sometimes?). Of there was a sauna or hot tub that works be cool also.

I love learning basics of language and always use stuff wherever I go, so would happily order things/basic chat in Gaelic if required.

Anyway, never really been up that way so wondered if anyone could recommend somewhere to go/stay?

Cheers
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hebrides - Recomendations
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 16:17

Islays a place to consider.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 16:37

Islay is good and plenty distilleries but can be a bit remote outside Bowmore

Also Arran is lovely with a distillery and all the things your looking for

We`ve done both and if the quality of the whisky is not important then I would go back to Arran

Edit to say sorry just noticed the Hebrides oops

Post Edited (Sun 20 Dec 16:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 20:41

Barra is hard to beat. A pleasant ferry ride from Oban. Wonderful walks, Gaelic-speaking locals, fabulous beaches, a couple of decent pubs. There`s Kismuil Castle of course, and while I have never seen whales there, I have seen huge basking sharks swimming in the waters off the north of the island.

No whisky distilleries as far as I know, but in its defence, Barra is where they filmed the first and best version of Whisky Galore.

:)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 21:06

Eriskay is where the event of Whisky Galore actually happened. Going in March will still have the chance of heavy Atlantic storms. Agree Barra is great. Try to see all the islands and take wet suits if the swell is not too high. The Thai tourist board cheekily used the Hebridean beaches in their travel brochures.
If you are looking for places to stay I can recommend a few places. I have been many times and can speak some Gaelic but it is not really required unless you want to try your skills at the language. Just send me an email and I will forward the details.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Mon 21 Dec 10:51

Flight to Barra is on my bucket list since they land on the beach - must be like a rubbish weather Fantasy Island

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 21 Dec 16:30

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/features/8384/the-true-story-behind-whisky-galore/

My pal Derek has a cottage on Eriskay there is a great wee documentary about the island football team I think its on you tube
The pitch is on a slope and the players have to pick up all the sheep purls before they kick off

Post Edited (Mon 21 Dec 16:33)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Mon 21 Dec 18:23

We`re away to Harris & Lewis in May, booked our digs in April this year and just bought our ferry tickets last week when Calmac released the summer timetable. Can`t wait, Harris & Lewis have been on our bucket list, got a cracking cottage on the West Coast of Lewis.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 22 Dec 13:00

thanks for all responses...

parsmad68: would love to get recommendations please - couldn`t see an email in your user profile, but i`ve got one in mine if you wanted to ping something over?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Thu 24 Dec 16:36

We went to Harris a couple of years back. Stayed in a cottage not far from Tarbert. Stunning scenery & beaches. A really beautiful & relatively untouched part of the country. Plenty of cracking walks & places to go, Huisinis, North Harris Eagle Observatory, Calanais Standing Stones + home of the worlds first Rocket Post!

Good place to go......I’d go back.

“.........it ain’t over till the Pars score!”
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net