DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Street views on Google Maps
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 12:01

As I get older, one of the real pleasures that I get is utilising the "street view" on Google Maps. Placing the little stick man on a street allows me to take long virtual walks to revisit my far off past to see what once familiar places look like now.

Some places remain utterly unchanged, which gives me great joy, while others are almost unrecognisable given the scale of development.

I have noticed in recent times that Google now has dates on many street views signalling that they are updating the photos of most streets on a fairly regular basis.

Already, I can look at how the trees that I planted have grown around the first house that I bought in Bridge of Earn in the late 1970s pretty much at 3-year intervals since about 2008.

So cast your mind forward 100, maybe even 200 years and just imagine what a wonderful visual library will be available to our great great great great-grandchildren and beyond.

Today, we look at sepia still photographs of life as it was 100 years ago. For 200 years ago, we rely on oil and watercolour paintings. Just imagine what those kids of the future will be thinking as they take a virtual stroll down the streets as we know them today...

Of course, this assumes that we haven`t mucked up our planet in the interim and no longer have the resources to use such technology.

:)

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Street views on Google Maps
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 12:10

When I look at my street on Google maps there's still my old works transit van sitting outside my hoose... I haven't had that van since 2011.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 13:05

My street view has an old neighbour, who was also one of my old high school teachers, walking along the street. He died a good few years ago. Spooky

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 14:16

Got two cars in my drive I've never owned must be pre 2012.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 16:16

Our old place has been updated as there's a skip in the driveway from the new owners (who have since sold it again). Our current place has a couple of views, both with the previous owners cars in the drive.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 21:37

My street must have been captured about 10 years ago at least judging by the cars in the driveway

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net