DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Oxford-AstraZenica Vaccine
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 08:32

The chances are that we will be offered the Oxford vaccine, rather than the Pfizer one, now that it's been approved, as it's much cheaper and far easier to store and transport. There will be people who will understandably be wary and apprehensive about receiving it, given how quickly it's been developed, trialled and rolled out for mass use. Some of the misinformation circulating on social media hasn't helped to allay these fears. e.g. the first person to be vaccinated in the trial was reported to have died and even when she was interviewed afterwards, there were claims that it had been faked, so she had to be photographed with a copy of that day's newspaper.

There's a good article on the BBC website, which contains three others linking to it, when you scroll further down:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55308216

Of course, whether you decide to have the vaccine or not is a personal decision, but articles like this may help to reassure anyone who is swithering. Younger people will also have the advantage of seeing how older ones have reacted to the vaccine, since they will be at the end of the queue.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Oxford-AstraZenica Vaccine
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 08:40

There was a Panorama documentary on a couple of weeks ago about this vaccine. I can't recommend it highly enough. Please watch it.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 08:51

The odds are that there`s going to be growing pressure on the public to take the vaccine. It will likely initially come in the form of conditional access to social benefits like unemployment or child support.

Additionally, it looks like you`ll need the Covid-19 vaccine to visit ANYWHERE abroad in 2021. That`s what the boss of Qantas, Alan Joyce, said the international airlines had agreed to recently. No vaccine no travel.

Here, Australia is likely to apply the 14-day quarantine rule to all international travellers, including repatriates, for at least the next two years, and possibly a variation of it up to five years. That will be until enough people have been vaccinated in the country to achieve a level of herd immunity. This is according to the president of the Australian Medical Association.

These are highly reliable sources, not social media gossips.

I doubt that Australia will be alone in this approach. The UK seems to mirror much of what we do here eventually.

All the pointers suggest that international travel is going to be radically changed after Covid-19. We will never return to the "norm" that existed before. That is likely gone forever.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 09:15

I read the link yesterday G.G. the one How did they make it so quick

It has re-assured and certainly put my mind at rest There are some bloody clever folk out there

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 09:59

Happy New Year Ozpar! Ending the year as you've spent the whole of 2020......as a right wee ray of sunshine eh?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 10:40

Like everyone else, I welcome the quick development of the vaccines, da no 1, and I will certainly take the two doses at the first opportunity I get. But there is no point in hiding away from the reality of what is happening.

A happy new year to you too.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 11:34

Quote:

OzPar, Thu 31 Dec 10:40

Like everyone else, I welcome the quick development of the vaccines, da no 1, and I will certainly take the two doses at the first opportunity I get. But there is no point in hiding away from the reality of what is happening.

A happy new year to you too.

Oz you choose to believe just about every rumour you read on the net. I wait and see rather than get depressed about stuff that hasn't happened or even if it does won't affect me in the slightest. If that sounds selfish then tough. We all have our own crosses to bear and trawling the net looking for "stories" isn't my thing. Reading your end of the world bad news updates first thing in the morning is depressing to say the least. I don't know where you get off on it?

Anyway I'm away to try and enjoy Hogmanay. Try and do the same. Aw the best for 2021

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 11:37

To be fair to Oz he ain`t posting first thing in the morning where he is. As it is I happen to think he is wrong. In less than twelve months I reckon everything will be back to normal for the vast majority.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 11:48

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 31 Dec 11:37

To be fair to Oz he ain`t posting first thing in the morning where he is. As it is I happen to think he is wrong. In less than twelve months I reckon everything will be back to normal for the vast majority.

I realise that (the username is a bit of a clue!) I'm just saying he usually updates first thing our time and it fair sets you up for the day so it does

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 19:25

Oz is actually not posting his own opinion he is posting what high ranking business and medical people are saying

Post Edited (Thu 31 Dec 19:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 19:39

Any links to their being conditional access to social benefits like unemployment or child support in the UK related to the vaccine as I find that hard to believe particularly as an initial approach? (I wouldn’t put it past the tories to put the unemployed to the very back of the queue)

Post Edited (Thu 31 Dec 19:41)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 22:33

Quote:

Buspasspar, Thu 31 Dec 19:25

Oz is actually not posting his own opinion he is posting what high ranking business and medical people are saying

If you take the time to quote it surely you kinda believe it

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 22:46

P, In the case of conditional access to social benefits, the initial remark came from none other than our prime minister, Scott Morrison, or "Scotty from marketing" as we like to call him. He is a slimy little git that seems capable of any trick in the book to gain an advantage. Am I showing my political colours here? :)

What he said that raised people`s hackles was that a COVID-19 vaccine would be “as mandatory as you could possibly make it”.

He later backtracked, but understandably, many Aussies felt that he had let the cat out of the bag and what he was implying was that benefits and other civil rights would be conditional on taking the vaccine.

It is probably worth pointing out that your Tory government has several Australian political advisors in key positions these days, including our odious former PM, Tony Abbott, who is closely aligned to Scott Morrison`s views on life.

There`s an interesting article here on the legality of such action. Australian law is not a million miles away from English or Scottish law in most respects.

https://theconversation.com/can-the-government-or-my-employer-force-me-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-under-the-law-144739

Thanks to Busspasspar for highlighting that the sources that I referred to in my initial post were not from social media gossip but from high ranking figures in the business and medical community.

I am not out to sensationalise things or scare people. I am simply trying to share reliable information. It shouldn`t need highlighting that this is a global pandemic, not a local outbreak. What is occurring on one side of the world tends to be replicated on the other in due course.

This has proven to be the case time and time again during this pandemic.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 08:07

Thanks OzPar would be curious to see how it played out if the take up was not there, I imagine focus would be on making it mandatory for travel and hospitality before social benefits approach. Thankfully I don’t know anyone who is going to reject it so hopefully that’s representative of a chunk of population. Some understandably worried at perceived pace but not enough to say no.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 09:13

Quote:

OzPar, Thu 31 Dec 08:51

The odds are that there`s going to be growing pressure on the public to take the vaccine. It will likely initially come in the form of conditional access to social benefits like unemployment or child support.

Additionally, it looks like you`ll need the Covid-19 vaccine to visit ANYWHERE abroad in 2021. That`s what the boss of Qantas, Alan Joyce, said the international airlines had agreed to recently. No vaccine no travel.

Here, Australia is likely to apply the 14-day quarantine rule to all international travellers, including repatriates, for at least the next two years, and possibly a variation of it up to five years. That will be until enough people have been vaccinated in the country to achieve a level of herd immunity. This is according to the president of the Australian Medical Association.

These are highly reliable sources, not social media gossips.

I doubt that Australia will be alone in this approach. The UK seems to mirror much of what we do here eventually.

All the pointers suggest that international travel is going to be radically changed after Covid-19. We will never return to the "norm" that existed before. That is likely gone forever.

And yet when I said pretty much this I was a conspiracy theorist.
How does that tim foil hat feel?
When did you start taking drugs?

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 10:51

So Government trying to extend time between doses, against manufacturers advice!

Ain't going to end well, is there anything that they don't f*ck up?🤔🤬🤬🤬
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 11:24

It's the JCVI rather than the government and probably with good reason. The first dose gives a good amount of protection. There are around 70m people to immunise and things are getting worse very quickly. Better that a lot of people have some protection the a small minority have full protection.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 12:55

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Fri 1 Jan 10:51

So Government trying to extend time between doses, against manufacturers advice!

Ain't going to end well, is there anything that they don't f*ck up?🤔🤬🤬🤬

Which government are we slagging off? If you put politics to one side it actually makes quite a lot of sense.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 13:16

JCVI = government joint committee.

https://skwawkbox.org/2020/12/31/leading-medic-says-bma-and-pfizer-agree-hancocks-decision-to-issue-single-vaccine-doses-will-do-little-but-destroy-its-effectiveness/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 13:24

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Fri 1 Jan 13:16

JCVI = government joint committee.

https://skwawkbox.org/2020/12/31/leading-medic-says-bma-and-pfizer-agree-hancocks-decision-to-issue-single-vaccine-doses-will-do-little-but-destroy-its-effectiveness/

Made up of independent medical professionals rather than members of government. They advise the government who ultimately make the decision, but it's highly unlikely they would go against JCVI recommendations. Would you trust medical advice from Johnson or Sturgeon?!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 13:54

Seems to be a big difference of opinion within the medical profession!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/jcvi-issues-advice-on-the-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 15:16

The JCVI us suggesting something sensible imo - give everyone who needs it some initial protection NOW rather than waiting on the most vulnerable to have had two doses.

Pfizer and AZ may advise this is risky but that's because it IS, but then it's also risky not immunising someone with diabetes for another 3 months.

The biggest failure here has been planning. It seems to me that we don't have enough doses or we don't have enough people to immunise. GPs must be furious.

What I'm interested in is how it works if someone turns down the vaccine. Is that the end of it? The advice right now is simply to get it if offered. It doesn't say you have to.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 15:41

I don`t think it`s mandatory, just advisable - like the flu jab. Aren`t all vaccinations in this country optional? I remember getting jabs for polio and TB when at school but I don`t think they were mandatory.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 15:45

Airline industry seem to be advocating a no jab no fly policy, Qantas taking the lead.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 16:45

Can’t make it mandatory but a refusal and back of the queue you go if you change your mind.

That report has 9 groups down to over 50’s so you have to think local restrictions ease right off once that’s done but I can see countries not being thrilled about people travelling that have not had the vaccine.

Many were up in arms that we allowed flights to continue at the start of the pandemic so it works both ways.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jan 19:52

The list isn't quite right. They've already started healthcare workers and social care workers well before the over 80s has started (excluding those in care homes).

If you use that list as an example though, you'll see how far down the list most people are. Some of us aren't even listed!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 18:55

So manufacturer saying that there are millions of doses, what's going on?

Excellent album by the way!👍
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 2 Jan 19:40

Quote:

jake89, Fri 1 Jan 19:52

The list isn't quite right. They've already started healthcare workers and social care workers well before the over 80s has started (excluding those in care homes).

If you use that list as an example though, you'll see how far down the list most people are. Some of us aren't even listed!

As it should be with over 95% of deaths in the elderly bracket.
Treat them first and deaths overall from Covid will nosedive big time.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net