DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Snagging Report
Topic Originator: ParCrombie  
Date:   Thu 11 Feb 12:50

In the process of buying a new build house and been told to get an independent snagging report done.

Has anyone done this? I know the builder is meant to do their own but you hear stories of people chasing and chasing to get things fixed.

Any help is appreciated

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Snagging Report
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Thu 11 Feb 13:14

Money well spent with inarguable facts.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Thu 11 Feb 14:52

Take loads of photos, dates recorded and problem found

Load the photos into a document with description
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 11 Feb 15:35

Never had to use one but have seen videos if people doing it and would say it's well worth it. These guys spot some incredible things that most wouldn't.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 11 Feb 16:48

Would advise you get it done. Friend of mine bought a new property a fair few years back - probably 10. He is still fighting the builders to get money back for repairs he needed to make. He had some photos but he'd been in the house 2 weeks or so before he noticed. They are trying to say he caused it. Not helped by the fact the builder was bought out by another.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 11 Feb 20:16

Defo get it done.

My friend bought a new build behind Broadwood a couple of years ago and amongst all the usual canvassing leaflets for garden landscaping, cctv and alarms systems was a 'professional snagger' who turned out to be a retired director of one of the big building firms so he knew all the dark arts and tricks of the trade.

He was also fortunate that there was a secondary phase still being built after he moved in so the guy was all over the site manager like a cheap suit as hs was still floating about most days.

Think he had something like 4+ pages of stuff he managed to find including some real underhanded stuff that would make you think twice about a new build.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Thu 11 Feb 20:17)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 11 Feb 21:20

I'd also agree that it's definitely money well spent but anyone can offer a service like this. I'd want to engage someone with the right experience.
I've been doing snagging lists for many years and there are a few golden rules.
Write the lists in a logical order going round each room/area in turn.
Explain the issue clearly as well as explaining where it is. Mark up a plan (or elevation) drawing. If the builder understands that giving you a copy of a drawing will make their life easier because they'll get better info, they might do it for you.
And most importantly. You can guarantee they will resist doing some of what you ask for. So be picky and list more things than you are really bothered about. There will be some things that are really difficult (aka costly) for them to fix. These are your leverage to get the things done that are important to you.
Edited to add. My mother in law moved into a new Taylor Wimpey house in 2018 and I have to say their attention to detail and quality of finish was far better than new houses I've had in the past. I think the industry has smartened up it's act in that respect.

Post Edited (Thu 11 Feb 21:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 11 Feb 23:30

I think the other rule is "Don't buy Persimmon".
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Wed 17 Feb 13:26

I did this once when I couldnt snag the house myself. Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Wed 17 Feb 15:58

I deal with various housing companies at my work. Persimmon make 100% profit on every 3rd house built. They may look nice when they are built but looks are deceiving. Trust me.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Wed 17 Feb 18:59

Quote:

General Zod, Wed 17 Feb 15:58

I deal with various housing companies at my work. Persimmon make 100% profit on every 3rd house built. They may look nice when they are built but looks are deceiving. Trust me.

The quality may be questionable but a ~30% profit on each house doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

What's the industry standard for profit per house?

Post Edited (Wed 17 Feb 19:01)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Wed 17 Feb 20:18

Must say that it depends on the builder, I bought from Bellway and they were very proactive with regards snagging our new house.inspected (with us) a week before we moved in and a week after. All the issues were noted on an official form which was carbon copied to the site manager and Bellway head office. The issues we had were purely cosmetic but dealt with in a professional manner.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Wed 17 Feb 22:29

A building surveyor should be able to do it for you. You but you might have to ask him what you want checked.

Obvious things are if the builder provides them

Gas certificate including boiler commissioning cert
Electrical certificate
Check operation and sealing of windows and doors (make sure the doors are undercut for carpet or flooring)
Check window glazing fir scratches, windows seal properly, correctly sealed externally
Check hot and cold water systems for leaks. Check WCs, taps etc
Check open vents through roof
Check roof spaces, roof tiles etc
Check rainwater gutters and downpipes
Make sure you have the house information pack including warranties
Check kitchen cupboards and doors. Check tiling, grout and silicon sealant
Check flooring for creaking
Check heating pipes and radiators (scratches, correctly fixed) also check flow balance (all radiators come up to temp at the same time)
Check externals, paving, laid turf, fencing etc.
Check internal and external lights, doorbell etc.
Check brickwork and harling, vents etc.
Check any appliances fitted.

There is quite alot. I'd expect it to take a couple of hours.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net