DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Gramer and, Speling.
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 17:35

Some folk take umbrage when errors are pointed out. I don't mind being corrected.
It is more important than some suggest.

Classic example from Myles Brandreth's book on the subject...

"Have you eaten, Gran'ma?"
"Have you eaten Gran'ma?"

If someone points out your error, you can get it right next time. What's the problem?

Post Edited (Mon 01 Mar 18:27)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Gramer and, Speling.
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 18:32

1st one is a question you would ask Gran ma
2nd one is a question you'd ask grand pa

Sorry, I'll get ma coat

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 18:42

There's always the classic "eats shoots and leaves"....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 19:13

But on an Internet chat forum where several people will be using mobiles/tablets with swipe texting, fat fingers, autocorrect, etc. I personally find pointing out stuff like that unnecessary and what used to be known as bad netiquette

For example, I know the difference between their, there and they’re and just because my phone doesn’t always know which one I meant and the screen a bit small to proof read the whole message before I summit - nobody is scoring any points but highlighting the wrong one came through

Edited to say there’s an example above, I swiped for ‘by highlighting’ and the phone output ’but highlighted’ (and it replaced above with about in this sentence, but I spotted that one)

Post Edited (Mon 01 Mar 19:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 21:46

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Mon 1 Mar 18:32

1st one is a question you would ask Gran ma
2nd one is a question you'd ask grand pa

Sorry, I'll get ma coat

Yellow card 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 22:40

[But on an Internet chat forum where several people will be using mobiles/tablets with swipe texting, fat fingers, autocorrect, etc. I personally find pointing out stuff like that unnecessary and what used to be known as bad netiquette]

I think that it is fair to say most people recognise when a simple input error has occurred or where predictive text has interfered with a person`s post. That is not the issue.

The issue is, where people are genuinely making mistakes, there is more to be gained than lost by pointing out the correct way to do something. This applies in every facet of life.

In the world outside of this forum, poor spelling and grammar is the very first filter an employer looks at when sorting through job applications. Similarly, if one has reason to complain about something, the complaint is more likely to be taken seriously if the letter is not littered with errors.

It might not be good netiquette, but I see it as a supportive thing to do.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 08:14

But oz there’s a world of difference between me telling someone they’re talking pihs (IMHO) after a couple of pints in the evening and me submitting a job application to a potential employer!

What I often find is that if spell check doesn’t get a word right and offers something random instead, I’ll pick the original even if I know it’s not quite spelt right ... beats re swiping a word over and over until it recognises what I meant

The other problem is that in a forum of opinions, pointing out spelling mistakes or grammatical errors is normally received as a lame rebuttal to your point, so while it can sometimes be well intentioned, I don’t believe it’s the really the forum to have your queens English marked and feedback

Lastly, I also think that common parlance and in turn language evolves, so it used to be people corrected the word youz all the time... as a ‘reasonable’ speaker of other languages that have a plural form of you (although very Rusty now), I love it when I hear stuff like that as it shows that potential evolution... so why stifle it - we don’t need to speak the same as they did generations ago (if we didn’t allow for any change and held fast to the perceived spelling, grammar and words then I’m not sure what language we’d be speaking now)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 09:04

I have to be honest and say, sometimes I don`t pay attention to the grammar. More so when using my phone, where it takes a little more effort to insert punctuation marks, for example.

PS - I did scrutinise your post, Oz, for any errors :-)

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 09:05

On the forum I have been spell checked a couple of times, but the people pointed it out in a humorous way that made me chuckle at my mistake.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 09:54

I don`t think we should be too pedantic but there are some posts which are unintelligible or ambiguous due to bad grammar, punctuation, spelling etc.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 09:58

Clevir threed title burdbrain lol

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 10:13

peter was great for this now we have big donnie the peoples poet his posts are always classic no punctuation needed here and why not mon the pars

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 10:37

LOL

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 18:54

Their is no reason for people not knowing there spelling protocols.

Or is they’re ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 20:58

Thought you would of known better vee

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 21:01

‘In the world outside of this forum, poor spelling and grammar is the very first filter an employer looks at when sorting through job applications‘

Is that really true? Sounds like the approach of the 60’s when it was thought having dislexia= stupid when it’s clearly not the case.

I doubt most employers have the time to scruitise a CV for spelling mistakes. Far quicker to skim read and takes out the important info on qualifications and experience. 99.9% of the time you are not looking to employ someone with spelling being the most important part of the role.

If you are being petty enough to point out spelling/grammar then you clearly understood the meaning of the post, it’s not like you are clarifying a potential misunderstanding.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 21:21

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Tue 02 Mar 20:58

Thought you would of known better vee

I wood have thought so.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 21:37

Quote:

pars4life1, Tue 02 Mar 21:01

‘In the world outside of this forum, poor spelling and grammar is the very first filter an employer looks at when sorting through job applications‘

Is that really true? Sounds like the approach of the 60’s when it was thought having dislexia= stupid when it’s clearly not the case.

I doubt most employers have the time to scruitise a CV for spelling mistakes. Far quicker to skim read and takes out the important info on qualifications and experience. 99.9% of the time you are not looking to employ someone with spelling being the most important part of the role.

If you are being petty enough to point out spelling/grammar then you clearly understood the meaning of the post, it’s not like you are clarifying a potential misunderstanding.

If someone’s CV has poor spelling and grammar, what does that say about the person ?
Personally, I wouldn’t employ them. If they cannot make the effort to have their CV correct or checked by someone, then how much effort will they put into their job?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 22:28

Spelling mistakes (and failing to identify them on a read through) is nothing to often nothing to with lack of effort.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 23:17

Quote:

pars4life1, Tue 2 Mar 22:28

Spelling mistakes (and failing to identify them on a read through) is nothing to often nothing to with lack of effort.

Yes, you should always read through your posts before hitting "submit".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 23:39

Some tips which may be helpful.

Apostrophes are a problem in English because they have two functions- to indicate missing letter(s) or to indicate possession. A missed apostrophe tends to be less obtrusive than an apostrophe inserted where it is not needed. So if in doubt- miss it out; based on Winston Churchill’s advice that it is better to say nothing and be suspected of being an idiot, than to open one’s mouth and confirm the matter. (“Brendan Rodgers tactics were wrong” is less grating than “Brendan Rodger’s tactic’s were wrong.”

‘Loose’ and ‘lose’ are often confused because we say the second word with a long vowel sound and instinctively feel that it needs a double vowel in the middle. In Scots we say ‘loss’ for ‘lose’ (“How did ye manage tae loss it?”) with a short vowel which may act as a reminder.

The possessives ‘his’ and ‘hers’ do not have an apostrophe, so ‘its’ does not require one either when used as a possessive.

The ‘of’ and ‘off’ mistake is usually due to not reading a piece back inside your head. They sound different when you say them and are never mixed up in everyday speech.

Making mistakes is common to everyone who ever wrote a sentence and is a healthy sign on a website, for the reason that no AI system has yet been able to convincingly imitate the type of irregular errors that we humans do. Long live bad grammar.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 14:32

Sorry sammer, but I hate bad grammar. I have absolutely no problem with irregular errors, just regular ones. We are all prone to make the occasional mistake. I happen to believe that it is right to point regular errors out. For maybe, just maybe, the message of what is correct and what is not will get through.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 17:12

If you advertise a position and get a whole load of CV`s sent in, as is pretty common these days, then the first process of elimination is weeding out the poor ones.Of course everyone can make mistakes but if you`re sending in a piece of paper to give you the best chance of getting a job it should be double and triple checked by you and by somebody else if you aren`t confident in your ability.You should take pride in it as ultimately it`s the only representation of you an employer sees until the interview process. First impressions count as they say.

If I get 2 similar CV`s in terms of qualifications and experience but one has poor grammar and spelling mistakes I know who I would be more likely to give an interview to-rightly or wrongly.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net