DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Nurses pay
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 08:30

1% pay rise really?

Government really shot themselves in the foot here. What a bunch if two faced hypocrites

I know money is going to be tight but this should be a priority and an exception.

10 per cent rise imho.

Clap for NHS

more like crap for NHS

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Nurses pay
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 09:30

I understand it would cost an absolute fortune to give every NHS worker a hefty pay rise but surely more than 1% could have been found for those in the NHS most deserving. If you are on 50k plus a year then you`ll only get the minimum. I know the doctors were taking just the same risks as the nurses and cleaners and carers during the last twelve months but they are already, quite rightly, well rewarded financially. Front line NHS staff should be rewarded more than the rest. I appreciate that the administrators and IT support staff do an important job but they weren`t the people we were clapping for.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 12:08

The One Who Knocks wrote:

> I understand it would cost an absolute fortune to give every
> NHS worker a hefty pay rise but surely more than 1% could have
> been found for those in the NHS most deserving. If you are on
> 50k plus a year then you`ll only get the minimum. I know the
> doctors were taking just the same risks as the nurses and
> cleaners and carers during the last twelve months but they are
> already, quite rightly, well rewarded financially. Front line
> NHS staff should be rewarded more than the rest. I appreciate
> that the administrators and IT support staff do an important
> job but they weren`t the people we were clapping for.
>
>

What about Pharmacists providing medication to patients on wards? What about physios getting patients remobilised for discharge? What about the staff that fix medical equipment on the ward or maintain the facilities? Teams assessing if the patient can care for themselves at home and arranging appropriate social care for after discharge?

If we applaud or pay people based on who is at the most risk then the laboratory staff checking samples or the security staff could be pretty high up the at risk stakes too going about their jobs.

Nurses and doctors get the bulk of publicity but I was applauding all.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 12:20

Yep all front line staff.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 12:55

Another £15 billion for track and trace though!

Tories lining their own pockets again, on something that doesn't track nor trace. 🤔

Anyone seen Dido?🤬

Post Edited (Fri 05 Mar 13:11)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 13:22

Can`t we just give nurses the £350 million a week saving from Brexit?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 13:41

Because money's tight says a government spending 37 billion on a track and trace that doesn't work, billions on fake ppe companies, thieving moner for already rich party donors etc.

I hope the nurses didn't spend all those claps.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 13:55

Absolute w@nkers IMHO, NHS staff have been sh@t on for many years, Government automatically expected them to put thier lives at risk , especially over the 1st months of the pandemic. And whats thier reward ?.... a couple of quid a week extra

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 14:45

Why just the frontline? What about all the researchers and analysts? What about all the admins supporting them?

What about the bin men? What about all those in local government sorting out the schools, delivering support to the vulnerable and delivering care? What about the posties?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 15:27

Agree Jake.

Another example would be the IT guys going in to covid wards repairing computers/networks/iPads.

You can`t give those guys an uplift and not the ones that have the ability to do their jobs remotely.

It`s all one organisation and every part is important, or those parts wouldn`t exist.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 16:07

I know back office guys who were working through the festive period to ensure everything was ready for the vaccine programme.

This is going to sound harsh, but everyone is doing the job they were paid to do. EVERYONE should be getting a cost of living pay rise.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 16:18

You probably couldn`t financially differentiate from those who have been working from home and those who had to work on site because I suspect it may contravene some employment law and also because it would probably be an administrative nightmare to sort it all out. Maybe the clerical staff working that out (from home naturally) should get a bonus . I`m not saying what the back room administrative staff do isn`t vital because of course it is. However let`s not pretend that an nhs accountant who has been working from home the past twelve months and already makes considerably more than the average ward nurse was facing anywhere near the same risk.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 16:23

I agree Jake everyone should get a cost of living increase. In fact I think certain workers have a case for getting an above inflation pay increase.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 16:27

I think Jbob nails it in the OP.

The Government has money to spend but has chosen not to prioritise nurses. As other posters have alluded, they have wasted - and continue to waste - £billions in far less worthy sectors and even on technology which is unworkable.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 18:11

It's amazing how compliant we are in this country. We are quite happy to let a corrupt Government give OUR money to THEIR friends. Really we should be hanging them from lamp posts
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 19:00

Depends on your viewpoint. Some of us favour independence and oppose the FPTP voting system - either of which would have minimised the risk of the current shower being anywhere near power.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 21:59

What level of pay rise is Matt Hancock on 2021/22 ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 23:00

The Scottish government delayed pay negotiations for NHS staff until the summer earlier in the week which has already upset the unions.Will be interesting to see what they eventually come up with

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/policies-and-guidance/delay-to-full-pay-deal-for-scottish-nurses-unacceptable-warn-unions-02-03-2021/

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 08:42

We do have tax raising powers in Scotland. By my back of a fag packet calculations if every higher rate income tax payer paid another 1300 pounds per year we could give every NHS Scotland worker a 3k pay rise.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 09:54

Towk ... Factor in my fag packet calculation of £70 million a month that the government are saving ... due to all the poor over 65`s who passed away over the last year :(

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 12:28

Maybe a one-off compensation bonus for all NHS workers who can say they've been front-line during the pandemic (whatever their role). The issue of pay rises - and what nurses etc. deserve could be argued separately, as pandemics should be rare (!) events. I suspect the bulk of the private sector won't be paying bonuses or pay rises this year, so an effective pay cut this year for most of society.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 12:54

Sure I read that any tax raised by Scotland takes 2 years to come back from the inland revenue.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 14:19

I suspect the bulk of the private sector won`t be paying bonuses or pay rises this year, so an effective pay cut this year for most of society.

That`s because the bulk of the private sector was exposed as being a bit of a luxury and not needed for society to function well. Why continue giving those folk a bonus now that everybody can see how pointless they actually are?

NHS staff showed why they are valuable - priceless even - and that they have been hugely and criminally undervalued (and often underpaid) for years or decades.

So it`s not about rewarding them for the amazing work they did during the pandemic (when more of us than usual saw how we literally can`t live without them) but giving them what the work that they have been doing for years, pandemic or not, is worth. It`s just that the context of the pandemic has made this impossible to ignore now.

If NHS staff strike now nobody is going to fall for the usual media rubbish about them being lazy and greedy or deliberately putting patients` lives at risk - that won`t wash now that the public has seen what they actually do. It would be, given how diligently their pleas have been ignored for 40-odd years, daft of them not to use this rare social capitol to somewhat square themselves up to a level which most reasonable people would say they deserve.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 14:57

Good Post Wotsit

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 15:14

Wouldn't disagree with that, Wotsit. Definitely underpaid for what is a tough job for the most part. Though I'd be much more in favour of going after the tax dodgers than putting up tax for everyone, which may simply end up subduing the economy, and you end up erodng a lot of the extra tax you'd hoped to raise.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 16:48

It’s claimed the average nurse’s pay is £34k. Is that right ?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 17:00

If 34k is the average, then there's a lot of people due more than 1% then.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 17:04

I doubt the 34k average

Friend who is a nurse reckons more like 24k

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 17:18

Quote:

Jbob, Sat 6 Mar 17:04

I doubt the 34k average

Friend who is a nurse reckons more like 24k

From the nurses.uk site. They state that the starting salary is £24k with the average salary between £33k & £35k.

Direct quote:-
What is the average salary for a Nurse?

The Royal College of Nursing have estimated that the average annual salary of an NHS Nurse is £33,384.

More broadly, we estimate that the average salary for a Nurse is somewhere between £33,000 and £35,000.

Post Edited (Sat 06 Mar 17:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 18:52

It will be interesting to see what percentage the Scottish government gives NHS and other front line staff like care workers and home carers for example.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 19:14

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 20:10

You sure EEP?

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 20:23

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 20:24

Quote:

Jbob, Sat 6 Mar 20:10

You sure EEP?

Some people up here have had their £500 in Aberdeen. It will be in most peoples March salaries. My wife is due to get hers then. Think it just depends on when your employer decides but it should be your last March payment before you go into new tax year.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 20:40

EEP, are you sure her indoors isn`t just saying that so it gives a bit extra to play with down at the bookies?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 22:00

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Mar 22:21

34k my backside. Band 5 starts as £25k with a max of £30k.

They'll be averaging including nurse practitioners, district nurses and others.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 07:53

Quote:

jake89, Sat 6 Mar 22:21

34k my backside. Band 5 starts as £25k with a max of £30k.

They'll be averaging including nurse practitioners, district nurses and others.

If they are they're not doing themselves act favours because it's from the nurses own website.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 07:58

!

Post Edited (Sun 07 Mar 08:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 08:02

So most of those nurses helping on the frontline will be band 5. The ones doing the vaccinations will be band 5.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 08:05

Quote:

jake89, Sun 7 Mar 08:02

So most of those nurses helping on the frontline will be band 5. The ones doing the vaccinations will be band 5.

Most probably will be in band 5 bit there are another 4 bands.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 10:20

To be fair they're all nurses so it does impact the average. Some will be on more some will be on less.

That being said they all deserve a pay rise irrespective of their current salary and I think that should extend to most people in the NHS.

If we got tech companies to pay their way, ensured revenue generated in the UK was taxed in the UK, cut back on the dodgy deductions and put the CT rate back towards a more reasonable rate we could probably leave individual tax rates alone for a bit.

We could go completely loko and return profit generating companies back to public ownership and ensure that advances in renewables are joint public/private initiatives similar to the way Norway has shed loads of joint ventures that return profit to their people to have even more money to invest in services and people but that's some extreme Marxism apparently..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 10:39

They'll never tax the big tech companies. We've spent 50 years encouraging offices and retail to move out of town by offering low rates and acres of parking. We then wonder why town centres are failing. Now it's online businesses. Now we'll be wondering why retail and business parks are failing.

We always seem to offer the breaks to those least in need of them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 11:04

Nurses apparently cannot get shifts doing the vaccinations due to retired GPS, dentists etc getting £65 an hour compared to a nurse's £12 ph.

Heard about this a few weeks ago, but saw it in writing yesterday, the former group are bagging all the shifts.

On another note, I am hearing a lot of the vaccine being dumped due to non attendance of recipients at Lochgelly Centre!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 11:39

Not sure that's true. There was a big call out around a month ago to all nurses to sign up to do vaccinations.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 13:30

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19130120.anger-unprofessional-attitudes-email-warning-nurses-amid-row-pay-gulf-vaccinators/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 13:38

I think it`s a wee bit disingenuous to concentrate on nurses` pay given how many other roles are essential to the operation of the NHS.

Off the top of my head there are porters, pharmacists, radiographers, receptionists, auxiliaries, chaplains, admin assistants, catering staff, cleaners and a ton more jobs that I have never heard of and genuinely hope that I never meet any in their professional capacity.

In my job I spend a lot of time around the Edinburgh Access Practice which serves folk in Edinburgh with chaotic and complex lives, often dealing with the medical fallout from decades of substance misuse, poor mental health and homelessness.

Sadly, the staff there are dealing with two epidemics right now with covid being by far the less fatal as in the past three weeks around 20 individuals have died as a result of taking street benzos ("fake vallies.")

These are people, with an average age of about 43, who the staff know and had formed relationships with, often over many years - including the receptionists who are on close to minimum wage and who haven`t had the advantage of a four-to-six-year medical training to help them compartmentalise what happens at work.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Mar 13:41

And in the world of mental health work the negative impact of long term cannabis use continues to impact many many people.

I have 30 years experience in this area of health.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Mon 8 Mar 20:09

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 7 Mar 13:30

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19130120.anger-unprofessional-attitudes-email-warning-nurses-amid-row-pay-gulf-vaccinators/

If true that is appalling.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Mar 21:04

https://twitter.com/reid6peter/status/1368976957870911495?s=09
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Mar 21:13

She must have been to the same speech therapist as Boris the Brave

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net