DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Warranty question for a laptop
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 10:19

Hi all on the scrounge for some consumer advice on the off chance anyone here is an expert on warranties.

I bought a laptop in March 2019 and it always seemed to have a slightly loose connection that meant the connection from the power adapter would occasionally be lost and the laptop would revert to battery. This progressively got worse over time until the laptop became almost unusable and I sent it back for repair in Jan this year.

The laptop came back with a repaired motherboard but it almost seemed to reset the problem to what it was when I first bought the laptop. I called the repair facility and they said I would have to go back to ASUS to rebook a new repair so I decided to leave it to see if it would work but the problem is heading the same direction. I've contacted ASUS to re-book a repair but they've just declined it as the warranty is apparently only for two years which I hadn't noticed and expired in March. They are now saying that there will be a £45 charge plus parts to repair it. The power adapters seem to be a £100+ a pop and there are two of them so even if it's them that's the problem it's a pricey fix.

Question for me is do I have any recourse for the repair under warranty being botched or do I just have to suck this one up for not keeping on top of the warranty dates and fork out the cash?

Thanks all in advance.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Warranty question for a laptop
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 11:40

Phone consumer rights, as it was a repair that failed you may have some recourse. They will be able to define better for you.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 12:11

Cheers Shrek.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 12:23

What model is it, LPF?

When you sent the laptop away, did you also send the power adaptor?

Did you get the same one back?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 12:37

Surely the repair is then warrantied?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 13:04

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Tue 13 Apr 12:23

What model is it, LPF?

When you sent the laptop away, did you also send the power adaptor?

Did you get the same one back?

It's an ASUS G703GI and it actually has two power adapters which I sent back and did say they might have been the issue. I'd done a basic test on them myself with a voltmeter and they seemed to by providing a steady voltage but I'm not 100% sure they're OK so flagged they might have been the issue. Apparently they were tested and deemed OK and definitely looked like the same one I got back. Had a look on line and I can't see any recurring complaints about a similar issue for the model so not too sure what the problem is.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 13:05

Quote:

jake89, Tue 13 Apr 12:37

Surely the repair is then warrantied?

I'd hoped so but not sure, that's sort of what I was hoping for advice on but guess it's always different
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 13:10

If the original fix was done within the warranty period and is repair is unsatisfactory you should be able to claim as it’s still an on going problem. If they don’t fix it within the warranty period then they are in breach of contact and you could threaten to sue them.however this may be difficult to prove because you may have waited too long to get back in touch with them.

Buy replacements power packs from eBay might be your best bet

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 13:27

Thanks Dover Par. I was put off by the replacement packs from Ebay as I'm not sure it's the adapters that are the problem (the entire motherboard had to be replaced last time as it was apparently there that the power connectors were) and I wasn't sure which ones would be reliable.

I know my original adapters were probably built there but wasn't too sure which ones would be OK.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 16:10

I`d be very surprised if you had to replace the motherboard, even assuming that the power connector is faulty.
It could be that the legs just need re-soldered? This will be a through hole component

Chance are that this workaround will do the job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msbmuZ3Gk-E

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 16:31

I was surprised too to be honest as I'd been youtubing whether I could take the power connectors out and replace them and actually came across that video as I originally thought it was a 12 month warranty not 24. Cheers for digging that out though.

Motherboard was definitely replaced as it was confirmed on the repair list and I could see "it" in East Kilbride on the map using the laptop finder software I've got when I powered up my laptop. Seemed excessive but I'm not an expert.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 17:41

Surprised Asus haven't sorted these problems out, I've a laptop from them, coming up to 5 years old, with the same loose connection problem!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 18:28

That's not good LA. Hope you get yours sorted. I'm at the stage where the laptop is almost unusable so hope you're not at that stage!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 20:20

Quote:

londonparsfan, Tue 13 Apr 18:28

That's not good LA. Hope you get yours sorted. I'm at the stage where the laptop is almost unusable so hope you're not at that stage!

I can live with it LPP as I use my mobile more than my laptop now, I'll drop some hints for my 70th birthday, maybe my kids will have a whipround!

ASUS components seem to be junk, from network cards to graphic cards, all just flung together. I've upgraded the RAM and changed drive to solid state, installed Windows 10 to try and get more life out of it!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net