DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The impact on the NHS
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 09:27

The impact is starting to become a bit more visible.to me at a personal level.

I've been told that I need an eye op and have previously been told if I did need one it would be realtovely urgent to avoid long term damage.

I'm now being told they can't tell me when I can have an op or even when they will be able to give me a date just that I'm on the list but the list is massive and it will be a while before I am given a date.

The next period is going to make it very clear that there's a huge difference between those who are reliant on the NHS and those who are not.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The impact on the NHS
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 09:47

I`ve been told I`m on a waiting list for a hospital appointment but have been given no indication how long the list is. Hopefully all that money we`ve saved from leaving the EU which will be invested in the NHS will have a beneficial effect on waiting times.😊😊😊

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndBoy  
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 09:48

I tried to make an appointment at the doctor on Thursday. I was told they weren't doing routine appointments. Basically, they would give me an appointment if I thought it was urgent, effectively putting the patient in a position where they have to make a judgement themselves. That's not how it should work. I've got a sore hip and my physio suggested I go that route for an xray, but I can live with it. How many others are being put off in the same way?

They're not even doing face to face appointments, so what are the GPs doing just now?

...ken?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 10:10

My GP is operating a `triage` system. The receptionist arranges for a duty doctor to phone you to discuss your symptoms and decide the treatment. I think a face-to-face consultation may be arranged if considered necessary. I have had loads of appointments for blood tests in the last 12 months.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 16:13

A friend of ours has been diagnosed with cancer of the oesophigus and was given an appointment late April for a CT scan.

He is self employed so has gone through BUPA, scan has been done and started his chemo last week, maybe the urgency will save his life.🤞

Post Edited (Sun 11 Apr 16:14)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 19:08

I hopr your mate does well. I ended up getting a scan the same day. The NHS id amazing when it works well.

Too them about 2 months to get the operation sorted as I needed 4 surgeons and 2 of them got covid.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 19:49

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 11 Apr 16:13

A friend of ours has been diagnosed with cancer of the oesophigus and was given an appointment late April for a CT scan.

He is self employed so has gone through BUPA, scan has been done and started his chemo last week, maybe the urgency will save his life.🤞

Post Edited (Sun 11 Apr 16:14)

I hope all goes well for your friend.

In preparation for the impending issues of the NHS I also joined BUPA along with my wife. The dilemma I face is that I want to believe in the NHS but it is horrifically underfunded and again we will see those who have and have not being segmented in society and sadly I have to subscribe to it to take care of my family.
The disgrace is that I would gladly pay the BUPA insurance to the NHS as PAYE but our government seem incapable of understanding this and by proxy seem to be effectively privatising healthcare.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 19:59

I didn't know until recently that some BUPA products actually pay you if you use the NHS services. Amazed me when I found that out.

I can't remember who my provider was but I'm sure they all do the same.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sun 11 Apr 20:03

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars232  
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 09:54

I’m going through chemo right now, after being diagnosed with cancer last September. NHS have been amazing, diagnosed quickly, surgery, chemo and radiotherapy planned for June. My GP was quick to take action at the outset, but yes I was deemed very much as a priority case. Unfortunately you don’t know who else is deemed to be more of a priority for you, but if you are worried I’d keep pressing them to try to take action.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 10:10

Best wishes to Ipswich and Pars232

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 10:11

Quote:

Pars232, Mon 12 Apr 09:54

I’m going through chemo right now, after being diagnosed with cancer last September. NHS have been amazing, diagnosed quickly, surgery, chemo and radiotherapy planned for June. My GP was quick to take action at the outset, but yes I was deemed very much as a priority case. Unfortunately you don’t know who else is deemed to be more of a priority for you, but if you are worried I’d keep pressing them to try to take action.

The very Best wishes to you 👊👊

You are in the best of hands, as you know, I would imagine. When I was diagnosed, it truly felt like the beginning of the end and there were many times that was the case, but the care, love and expertise of the NHS was incredible. Despite being "terminal", 9 years later I'm still here.

Take care my friend and best wishes to Ipswich.

Post Edited (Mon 12 Apr 10:17)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 11:06

Thanks Raymie
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 11:39

Goodness, I have just caught up with this thread. I would like to join the others in offering my best wishes to Ipswichpar and Pars232.

Keep strong fellas.

Warmest regards,

Oz

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 11:50

Best wishes to Ipswichpar and Pars232, keep fighting!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 13:29

Cheers Big T....you are an nspiration.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 13:30

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Mon 12 Apr 11:50

Best wishes to Ipswichpar and Pars232, keep fighting!

Cheers bud. I've been relatively lucky but it has been bloody hard work!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 13:32

Best wishes to you guys, wishing you a future of good health.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 13:47

+1 to the well wishes and speedy recovery guys.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 15:22

All the best lads, keep us posted on your progress and let us know when you're out of the woods.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 19:49

Pars232
Did you not get offered Immunotherapy ,?

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Apr 22:39

Quote:

dave67, Mon 12 Apr 19:49

Pars232
Did you not get offered Immunotherapy ,?

You only get immunotherapy for certain cancer types. Doesn't work for them all. Thankfully, for me, the immunotherapy that I got (Pembrolizumab) saved my life.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 01:53

Thanks guys, hadn’t expected so many kind messages.

No immunotherapy wasn’t something considered for my type of cancer, not something I’ve discussed with my oncologist.
I’ve been lucky I’m so many ways, surgery and chemo happens at QMH, really due to covid. However for others it’s meant they’ve had to travel to Dunfermline rather than being treated at the Vic.
I’m in the hospital most weeks, my blood counts have been low so chemo hasn’t always happened fortnightly as planned. But the guys at QMH have been awesome and looked after me every step of the way.
Once this part is over is a daily trip to the Western for rads. Just had the schedule through and plan is for me to attend late morning, which again makes sense to help with travel and recovery.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 07:15

If your going by car to the western. Always take your rainbow letter with you. As soon as car park guys see it. They`ll get you parked close to the unit

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 07:34

Nice one, thanks Dave. I was over there the other week for my first consultation. There’s a lot of work being done at the Western. With little or no access via Crewe Road South.
The car park I had chosen had to have been the further from the Cancer Centre. At least I know where I need to be. Back over there mid May with rads starting early June.
I’d also forgotten how bad the roads are to drive in Edinburgh. It’s been a while.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 08:31

The Maggie`s centre is just along the road. They`ll let you park in there
And fingers crossed for you

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 09:08

Cheers mate
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 09:26

Best wishes guys .. hope you both make a full recovery

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 10:08

The staff in the Western are absolutely different class. You'll be well looked after mate.

Good luck with the radiotherapy. I had 6 weeks of it, 30 blasts, and I'm not gonna lie, it was absolutely horrendous, due in part that it was my mouth that was getting it.

Even although it's 8 years since I had it, my sense of taste is goosed and I have a constant dry mouth 😔, but I Know a few people who have had it on different parts of their body and they found it fine, hopefully that's your experience mate and it does the job.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 10:32

Mine was in my brain. Other than the first couple of days feeling like I was being waterboarded it was fine.

Technology will have improved massively over the years.

I'm now completely deaf in one ear which makes music a bit less fun. But in the grand scheme of things it is a small price to pay. I've learned a lot going through this too....I hope it has made me a better person.

All the best bud.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 10:38

👊👊

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Apr 10:41

Wow 6 weeks that’s tough. I have 15 rounds, it’s actually over 4 different weeks as I start on a Thursday.
My friends bro in law has been diagnosed with inoperable liver cancer. I’m mid 40s and I feel very lucky to be here, even if I do feel pretty crap for around a week after chemo.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 14 Apr 16:29

Hope the triple A screening programme wasn’t disrupted. In the year after reaching the grand not too old age of 65, chaps are offered an ultrasound scan to detect abdominal aorta aneurysms. Dinnae throw it in the bin, just go or rearrange if you can’t.
In the waiting area compare baldiness, wrinkles and beer bellies with the other dudes - you all share the same birthday ...!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Apr 18:44

Yeah, appear at every appointment, even the one with the rubber glove!😲

I heard that they have discovered a new test for that, urine sample now required?🤔😷
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net