DAFC.net
Home 16 June 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 British & Irish Lions
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 11:57

Not long to go now, with less than a week until the touring squad is picked.

There are a core of about 20-25 players that are certain to be included, and then a massive group that are in with a shout. It was reported that Gatland asked each of his coaches to pick a squad of 37, and between them they came up with 59 different names.

Our overall chances of winning over there are probably dealt a blow by us being relatively weak in the most important areas. I don`t think there is an obvious pick at Hooker or Scrum Half - both areas where we have been strong on previous tours. Ken Owens and Jamie George pretty much fighting it out for the number 2 shirt I reckon, with Conor Murray probably getting the nod at 9 in the absence of any real standout candidate.

The picks at 10 will be interesting too, probably trying to fit 4 bodies into 3 places (unless they take Farrell as a centre). Think it`s a straight shootout between Russell and Sexton for who makes the cut.

Plenty strength in the rest of the pack, but George North will be a big miss in what will be physical games. No idea how many Scots will be involved, but certainly will be more than the two that made the tour in 2017. My guess would be six altogether. Hogg and Watson are stick-ons, and should both be involved in the test squad at the very least.

Any predictions?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: British & Irish Lions
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 12:33

Should be cancelled

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 15:42

Why should it be cancelled when other major sports ongoing throughout world, F1, football, golf and so on.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 18:33

4 Scots and Farrell isn't worth a Jersey. Hogg,Russell and Watson a stick on surely. Think the tight 5 will be our best asset along with a highly mobile 11 through 15. Rees Zammit worth a Jersey but I'd be calling short time for AWJ and put Itoje in front of him. Scrum half is a problem, hooker not so much. I'm hoping he doesn't pick vunipola too.

Admin.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 18:35

Whomever is picked it will be a war of attrition for sure. By the last test they'll be cobbling a team together.

Admin.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 19:18

Good call on Itoje shrek par the man is an athlete but maybe we need the experience, guidance and respect that AWJ brings to any team or squad .. this will be his swan song no doubt ... Itoje a future captain maybe ..once he calms down

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 19:19

He's been garbage this season but I'd bet ma hoose on Farrell still being in the squad....
It's a council hoose though 🤣

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 May 20:24

Plus you'll need people that can tackle and Farrell is a turnstile....

Admin.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 May 12:11

"4 Scots and Farrell isn`t worth a Jersey. Hogg,Russell and Watson a stick on surely. Think the tight 5 will be our best asset along with a highly mobile 11 through 15. Rees Zammit worth a Jersey but I`d be calling short time for AWJ and put Itoje in front of him. Scrum half is a problem, hooker not so much. I`m hoping he doesn`t pick vunipola too."

I don`t necessarily think Farrell should be there based on form, but would be very very surprised if he is left out altogether. Experience and kicking ability certainly go in his favour. As you say, it`ll be such a physical tour that I can`t see the three (assuming 3 anyway!) stand offs that are picked all still being fit by the first test, never mind the end of the tour.

Personally, I don`t think I would take either Vunipola. Reckon Faletau is nailed on to start at 8. Would rather see Sam Simmonds included than Billy Vunipola.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 May 13:25

I read a wee bit yesterday that Cameron Redpath might get picked as one of the bolters ... this from Aunty :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56964629

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 6 May 13:02

8 Scots included!

Hogg Russell Harris Price Van der Merwe
Sutherland Z Fagerson Watson

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 May 13:06

Backs: Josh Adams, Bundee Aki, Dan Biggar, Elliot Daly, Gareth Davies, Owen Farrell, Chris Harris, Robbie Henshaw, Stuart Hogg, Conor Murray, Ali Price, Louis Rees-Zammit, Finn Russell, Duhan van der Merwe, Anthony Watson, Liam Williams.

Forwards: Tadhg Beirne, Jack Conan, Luke Cowan Dickie, Tom Curry, Zander Fagerson, Taulupe Faletau, Tadhg Furlong, Jamie George, Iain Henderson, Jonny Hill, Maro Itoje, Alun Wyn Jones, Wyn Jones, Courtney Lawes, Ken Owens, Andrew Porter, Sam Simmonds, Rory Sutherland, Justin Tipuric, Mako Vunipola, Hamish Watson.

11 from England, 10 from Wales and 8 each from Ireland and Scotland.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 May 13:27

Strong side and a few notable omissions. Couple of them there on name not current form. All I'm all I'm happy with the 8 Scots. Redpath (if fit)and Gray could have added a bit though. Looking forward to the tests.

Admin.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 May 14:06

"Strong side and a few notable omissions. Couple of them there on name not current form. All I`m all I`m happy with the 8 Scots. Redpath (if fit)and Gray could have added a bit though. Looking forward to the tests."

I would`ve had Jonny Gray in ahead of Jonny Hill; but would`ve had James Ryan ahead of both of them. Plenty flexibility in the pack with three or four that can play in the second row or back row.

Think Kyle Sinckler could feel aggrieved that he isn`t in ahead of Mako. Surprised to see Bundee Aki in ahead of Jonathan Davies and Garry Ringrose too.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 May 14:46

No Sexton ???

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 6 May 21:06

Quote:

Buspasspar, Thu 6 May 14:46

No Sexton ???

Too many injuries recently possibly.
He's no spring chicken remember.
I thought Ringrose stood a chance of a call up too... But obviously not.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Fri 7 May 06:16

Quote:

Buspasspar, Thu 06 May 14:46

No Sexton ???

Couple of hard hits against the bok and sexton will crumple like wet cardboard

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 May 08:24

Aye to be fair he is getting on a bit and can be too brave for his own good He has been targeted in games and has taken some big hits ...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LMCK67  
Date:   Fri 7 May 09:38

Gatland said in an interview after Sexton missed out due to being injury prone. He has been rested every other week recently and that played a part in their decision making.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 May 10:35

Reading the comments and analysis since the squad was announced it`s clear that physicality was a huge consideration in making the selection.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Tue 11 May 13:20

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 07 May 10:35

Reading the comments and analysis since the squad was announced it`s clear that physicality was a huge consideration in making the selection.

Sensible approach considering opponents are the Springboks. Watched a behind the scenes series covering the Sprinboks preparation for and then World Cup campaign which clearly showed seeking physical domination played a part in their win.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 May 16:28

From Aunty :-

The British and Irish Lions` warm-up Test against Japan will be shown on Channel 4 as live coverage of the team returns to terrestrial television for the first time since 1993.

As well as the match at Murrayfield on 26 June, Channel 4 will also show highlights of all three Tests against world champions South Africa.

Lions managing director Ben Calveley said he was delighted at the news.

The Japan fixture will be the Lions` first home game since 2005.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wedge  
Date:   Sun 23 May 00:05

Really looking forward to the tour. Good Scottish contingent for a change and should be a close affair. RSA are so untested with no games played makes it very unpredictable

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net