DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Should we expect sports men and women to do interviews
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 09:45

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57311128

So after starting she didn’t want to do media interviews directly after her matches as it’s impacting her mental health... and a thinly veiled threat back about penalties from Grand slam tennis if she didn’t, Naomi Osaka had withdrawn from the French Open and looks like she probably won’t play in Wimbledon either.

Even if you remove the mental health aspect of her own scenario... IMHO. I’ve often disliked microphones being shoved in the faces of sports people directly after games and we all expect them to behave rationally and like perfect media stars - or even revel in them being asked why they made this mistake or did that wrong

I know we live in an age of ‘celebrity’, but often wonder why we can’t just let those who are good at hitting a ball, driving a racing car, punching someone, etc just do that... we can all enjoy watching them do that bit and can still be excited about the event without having them wheeled out in front of us so we can hear them speak and decide if we like them or not?

Post Edited (Tue 01 Jun 09:46)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Should we expect sports men and women to do interviews
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 10:08

I suppose the other argument is that sport needs the media interest to keep it popular, and that since players benefit from that popularity in the form of increased prize money,they should be prepared to make some contribution in feeding the media that helps sustain the sport.

I don`t entirely agree with that argument. I too would far prefer it if people in sport just did what they do and allow people to comment on what they do while competing, rather than commenting on what a good/bad/stupid thing they said 10 minutes after a game. If someone wants to speak to media out of competiton then fair enough, but from my perspective sport would lose absolutely nothing if there were no interviews at all immediately afterwards.

It`s quite a drastic decision that Naomi Osaka has taken, but in doing so she has completely taken control of the situation and means that it`s now pretty difficult for any organisers to ignore the poins she`s making. It`s going to be an interesting one and if it starts a debate on these issues and mental health in sport generally, it will be worthwhile.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 10:11

It`s one thing `sharing` in the excitement of a victory, but it`s cruel to stick a mic in the face of someone who has just lost.

Losing to a better man/team hurts enough, but what if there was controversy? alleged cheating/foul play? Bad sportsmanship?

Most of the journalists/tv are begging for a reaction, especially a bad one, to get a wee bit of a headline.

I know from my own experience, after losing a tough fight, I didn`t want to speak to anyone, far less have my ugly mug broadcast and every painful utterance analysed and maybe thrown back at me later...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 10:21

Some people just aren`t cut out for the professional sports scene. No shame in that. It`s good that she has decided to take a break from tennis until she can participate fully in the events.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 10:31

I agree 100% with what you say, Lux. There is nothing of value to be learned from the inevitable "How do you feel?" interview. Totally meaningless.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 10:48

"Some people just aren`t cut out for the professional sports scene. No shame in that."

4 Grand Slams and a number 1 ranking suggests she is. She just happens to disagree that she should be forced to do an interview if she doesn`t fancy it.

Unfortunately, she is the lone voice at the moment, but if a bunch of other top players follow her, she`ll have led the movement for change. It is exactly what the best player in a sport should do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 11:18

Not doubting her talent but doing press conferences and interviews is part of the gig for professional tennis players participating in grand slams.
In the English premier league (and probably up here as well) managers have to appear after the game as well as doing an interview the day before. If a someone wanted the job of being a professional football manager in the EPL but wasn`t willing or able to give interviews then that would be a deal breaker for the clubs because of the contractual obligations they have with broadcasters and sponsors.
As Osaka has shown she isn`t being forced to do anything. She knew what her choices were and she has made a decision and she seems quite content with it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 11:22

"Not doubting her talent but doing press conferences and interviews is part of the gig for professional tennis players participating in grand slams."

For the moment. I think she might change the sport by her actions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 11:30

Is it in their contract? If not then they can say no. If it is, just don't take part if you don't want to. If enough take the stance then it'll need reviewed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 11:58

Just watched premier league darts finals... in that the loser never had to do past match interviews... realise it’s not tennis but doesn’t detract anything
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 12:10

To be fair to Osaka she wasn`t going to not just do interviews when she lost. She`s wasn`t going to do them at all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 12:21

I think it’s a reflection of the rise of sports channels that have to fill airspace with something. Other than boxing where it’s part of the theatre in build up very rarely for me is there anything particularly interesting from these interviews anyway. I do enjoy a good sports documentary and interviews then are done with clearer heads and much more meaningful

Post Edited (Tue 01 Jun 12:23)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 12:25

Yeah, but really should be your choice and you shouldn’t be expelled from a competing in a sporting event because you don’t want to answer questions from the media!

What I found interesting was that other players were saying it would give her an advantage... so the implication from that is their performance would be better if they also didn’t have to do interviews - that further evidence for me to knock them on the head in terms of being mandatory

If a player wants us all to like them and buy their merchandise, get better sponsorship deals because they can charm us then fine, but let those that want to focus 100% at being the best on the field to do that also
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 12:36

TOWK, your starting point seems to be that doing interviews is part of the job, so take it or leave it. Why should that be the case, and why shouldn`t someone at the top of the game take a stance against that if she finds it harmful to her health?

The basics of the job are actually competing in whatever sport it is and doing whatever training and preparation is needed to allow you to compete optimally. Interviews add nothing of any substance. Why do we need to hear what they think? What value does it add to the contest we`ve just watched? I find it ridiculous that anyone can consider that a competitor at the top of their chosen sport is not cut out for it because they want to focus on the sport and not the pointless peripheral stuff that someone has decided must go with it.

If someone has the talent to compete at a given level and wants to compete at that level, then there should be a way to allow that to happen, making reasonable adaptations for any peripheral issues. Threatening a player with disqualification, and ultimately forcing her to withdraw, because they are unprepared to make adaptations around a peripheral issue reflects very badly on tennis in general.

I too hope she can lead a movement for change, and also hope sheis not targetted by the media as a result of this.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 13:05

Why should sports stars have to do interviews while referees don't have to? They are involved in any match as much if not more than any player in any sport.
Sorry for going of tangent DBP, but it boils my p!$h that players of any sport have to answer stupid questions at stupid times, by reporters that clearly want to wind them up so they can batter them down again. Whilst referees can happily kick back knowing they won't be asked Feck all

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 16:07

Fair play to Naomi for standing her ground and pushing back against post-match interviews and press conferences, which generally are like "baiting grounds"

I hope she is given the respect and help to get through this difficult period in her life.

It could be that that she decides to give the game up for the sake of her health?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 16:19

She did do an interview on the court straight after her game but wasn`t prepared to do the rest of her media obligations.

I don`t know if Osaka uses Twitter etc for her benefit but can you have it both ways? She was the highest paid female athlete last year earning $34 million in endorsements alone( the highest earning female athlete of all time in a single year.) Presumably she has to give her sponsors some exposure to the public to earn that money? Maybe this stance might work in her favour for even more sponsors-is she doing it to get more? If you don`t like a particular question then simply say that you aren`t prepared to answer.I have to add that the line of questioning of some journalists is clearly antagonistic though and they never seem to face any repercussions.

If she had issues about doing press conferences due to mental health then iron it out with the organisers, the tour and your fellow players before going onto the court or beginning the tournament. If she is suffering mental health issues, is she taking appropriate steps to get it treated? I noticed she is also the face of Tag Heuer and Luis Vuitton summer 2021 campaigns-call me a sceptic but that doesn`t indicate anxiety at being in front of a camera to me.

If she is suffering then I obviously wish her well. At least she has stuck to her guns and started an important debate.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 16:22

All depends if it's in her contracts and sponsorships that she should be doing the media stuff. Unless she's obligated then it's surely up to her if she does them?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CAPar  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 16:27

There's a big difference between being in some sort of scripted advert for a product versus having your performance picked apart right after a match by predatory journalists I'd imagine.

Immediate post match press conferences and interviews are specifically set up to get a reaction from the interviewee that can then be debated and criticised for hours on the likes of Sky Sports News by supposed experts.

Good on her for taking a stand. She's there to play tennis, not be at the beck and call of the media.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 16:34

I see Petra Kvitova has just pulled out after injuring her ankle whilst doing her media obligations-maybe Osaka knew something after all :)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 16:39

Socks, I don`t think I was being quite as blunt as you made out but essentially I do think that if you wish to be a professional sports person competing in an event that is the pinnacle of that sport then I don`t think it is being unfair for the organisers to expect you to engage with the media. It is that media coverage that allows the event to pay the huge sums in prize money.
She is suffering from mental health issues and for that she has my genuine sympathy. Perhaps some compromise could have been found but she initially released the statement that she would be doing no press conferences. She gave no indication that there could be any negotiation and has since expressed regret that she couldn`t have been clearer in her statement.
That she is talking a break from tennis is likely the best thing she could do as her wellbeing is more important than competing in professional events.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 17:09

Quote:

Luxembourg Par, Tue 1 Jun 10:11

It`s one thing `sharing` in the excitement of a victory, but it`s cruel to stick a mic in the face of someone who has just lost.

Losing to a better man/team hurts enough, but what if there was controversy? alleged cheating/foul play? Bad sportsmanship?

Most of the journalists/tv are begging for a reaction, especially a bad one, to get a wee bit of a headline.

I know from my own experience, after losing a tough fight, I didn`t want to speak to anyone, far less have my ugly mug broadcast and every painful utterance analysed and maybe thrown back at me later...

Obviously I've never come close to this kind of level competitive ability but even if I'd won the fight I don't think I'd have wanted to do an interview either so I can completely understand where she is coming from.

I get the argument that media coverage helps generate revenue which in turn pays the players but for a lot of sports how much revenue do the interviews help generate? It might have an impact on an individuals ability to earn sponsorship as they won't be exposed as much as those who are more comfortable (and in some cases excel) at handling the media but I don't think it should be a mandatory part of the competition for individuals.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 17:12

Topic Originator: jake89 like | nolike
Date: Tue 1 Jun 16:22

All depends if it`s in her contracts and sponsorships that she should be doing the media stuff. Unless she`s obligated then it`s surely up to her if she does them?

She is obligated.Rightly or wrongly The Grand Slam rulebook states: "Unless injured and physically unable to appear, a player or team must attend the post-match media conference(s) organised immediately or within 30 minutes after the conclusion of each match, including walkovers, whether the player or team was the winner or loser."

To me that could be changed to physically or mentally unable to appear?

The organisers say that they reached out to her after her announcement but she refused to engage with them.

Novak Djokovic, the men`s world number one: "I understand the press conferences sometimes can be very unpleasant, and it`s not something you enjoy always - especially if you lose a match.

"But it is part of the sport and part of your life on the tour, and this is something we will have to do, otherwise we will get fined.

Iga Swiatek, the reigning French Open women`s champion: "Talking to press after a loss, is not the most enjoyable thing to do.

"It may be hard, but I feel like with proper kind of support and, with distance and balance, it`s part of the job.

"I feel that media is really important as well because they are giving us a platform to talk about our lives and our perspective.

Ashleigh Barty, the women`s number one: "Press is kind of part of the job. We know what we sign up for as professional tennis players. I can`t really comment on what Naomi is feeling or the decisions she makes.

Rafael Nadal, 13-time French Open men`s champion: "I respect her decision. I respect her, of course, as an athlete and her personality.

"For me, without the press and without the people who write the news and the achievements that we are having around the world, we would probably not be the athletes that we are today. I don`t think we would have the recognition that we have around the world and we would not be that popular.

"I understand her. But, on the other hand, I have my point of view that the media is a very important part of our sport, too.

I bet there was plenty of times Stevie Crawford didn`t want to speak to the media last season-I wonder how our fans would have reacted if he never showed up?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 18:59

‘The ball come across and I just hit it.’

‘But didn’t you sense your goal was a crucial moment, a turning point in not just the match but in all likelihood international relations?’

‘I just hit it, Brian.’

That was Monty Python satirising the post match interview in a sketch over 50 years ago and not much has changed since, except there are more of them. If they were to be stopped they would not be missed.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Tue 1 Jun 22:38

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Wed 2 Jun 07:12

I get absolutely nothing from the usual sort of questions that are put to sports people, and their usual responses.
I believe that most professional sports people undertake media training, which seems to be better in individual sports, but for members of a team it seems to be limited to `don`t swear` and `don`t say anything controversial`.
Broadcast time would be better spent in any number of ways:
- In tennis, there is almost always another match on elsewhere; why not show that?
- In team sports, just do some (professional level) analysis of the game and wait for the manager to attend the press conference.

In Australian Rules football here, I always turn off as soon as the game is over as they interview players on the pitch, later in the change rooms, and then later back on the pitch. Very few of them can string a complete sentence together.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 4 Jun 07:04

Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks like | nolike
Date: Tue 1 Jun 11:18

`"In the English premier league (and probably up here as well) managers have to appear after the game as well as doing an interview the day before. If a someone wanted the job of being a professional football manager in the EPL but wasn`t willing or able to give interviews then that would be a deal breaker for the clubs because of the contractual obligations they have with broadcasters and sponsors."

I`m fairly sure an exception was made for Sir Fergie, TOWK. It may only have been limited to the BBC, however. Mike Phelan used to fill in for the post match comments on MOTD.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net