DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Red Arrows
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 12 Jun 20:12

How much skill does that team have? Incredible display tonight.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Red Arrows
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 12 Jun 21:09

Each pilot flies three sorties a day, five days a week... So it's safe to say that they're pretty good at what they do.
Never seen them in the flesh... Only on TV... Impressive.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 20:39

Saw them take off once when working at Belfast airport as I got invited out airside to watch.They actually take off in formation whilst I thought they would take off individually and go into formation when flying.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 13 Jun 21:00

Saw them widtink East Fortune air show around 2015 .... spectacular

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Mon 14 Jun 03:06

I hate the Red Arrows. They used to come out to Cyprus every year for a month or so for training.
Every day when I was trying to sleep after working night shift those tw@ts would be roaring 30ft above my house.

They usually only take off in formation for air display purposes or to practice it. When they were in Cyprus they would take off one or two at a time.

There's no way they fly as many sorties as you claim Widtink. There was one of them talking in a bar out in Cyprus who was saying he was struggling to get the flying hours in to get the bonus pilots get at a certain number of hours.

I used to think the tricks they perform in air displays were just for show but they are actually very useful in a war situation.
When I was at RAF Spadeadam I worked on a Surface to Air Missile Emulator. It would function the same as a real SAM launcher and lock on to aircraft. It wasn't automatic we controlled it and had to manually track it and lock it on. Best job ever was like playing computer games all day.
Anyway once locked on the aircraft had to try and break away from it within a certain time or they would have been shot down in a real situation.
I watched them one day while my workmate was controlling and they were performing maneuvers like the red arrows do to confuse the radar on the SAM and break the lock.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 14 Jun 07:58

That`s a really fascinating insight, SIF. What an interesting job you had there.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 14 Jun 08:33

SIF I was at spadeadam every weekend 1982 after it closed during the coldest winter in memory .. 5 of us dismantled your old building and re-built it at Gretna Bowling club .... It is still there to this day

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Mon 14 Jun 08:56

I only got to Spadeadam in 2000.
Was still at school in 82.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net