DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Amazon
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 21 Jun 16:35

Not going down too well on ITV news, destroying 124,000 unsold items weekly!

Whistle-blower manager dropping them in it.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Amazon
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Mon 21 Jun 16:41

They`ve been doing that for years

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Mon 21 Jun 16:45

There`s a video in the link

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-21/amazon-destroying-millions-of-items-of-unsold-stock-in-one-of-its-uk-warehouses-every-year-itv-news-investigation-finds

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 22 Jun 05:32

Quite badly misinformed.
The stuff that is destroyed does not belong to Amazon so they have no right to donate unless the vendor agrees,.(or it cannot be guaranteed safe to donate) They mostly don't.

Not quite as simple as you might think.

Also the vast majority is not fit to donate.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 09:48

Not a new scenario by any means - some years ago Black & Decker had an outlet at Sterling Mills which sold recently discontinued and end of line models etc.

The manager told me that unsold stock would eventually go to a central landfill location - about £3 million worth apparently.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 11:24

We allow foreign billionaires to keep houses sitting empty for decades as "investments" when we have thousands of people sleeping on the streets.

We have people without sufficient food to survive whilst supermarkets are throwing out more than enough food to feed them.

We produce environmentally damaging consumer goods with built in obsolescence to force us to buy new ones regularly and dump the old ones into landfill.

We have no right to repair many of the consumer goods we buy, so if it breaks it is illegal to try to fix it.

And folk are surprised that Amazon, potentially the least socially beneficial company on the planet, will destroy goods to protect their profit margin?

Post Edited (Thu 24 Jun 11:25)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 15:09

Quote:

Wotsit, Thu 24 Jun 11:24

We allow foreign billionaires to keep houses sitting empty for decades as "investments" when we have thousands of people sleeping on the streets.

We have people without sufficient food to survive whilst supermarkets are throwing out more than enough food to feed them.

We produce environmentally damaging consumer goods with built in obsolescence to force us to buy new ones regularly and dump the old ones into landfill.

We have no right to repair many of the consumer goods we buy, so if it breaks it is illegal to try to fix it.

And folk are surprised that Amazon, potentially the least socially beneficial company on the planet, will destroy goods to protect their profit margin?

They arent destroying goods to protect their profit margin. They are destroying vendor returns because that is the vendors wish. Most of Amazons own stuff is either donated or recycled and they are aiming for 100%.
This is just poor journalism.

Post Edited (Thu 24 Jun 15:09)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 15:26

Amazon don`t have to offer such a "service" to vendors.

It has more than enough influence to insist that their sellers donate returned or unsold goods, they just aren`t motivated to use their vast influence in that way.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 17:50

Amazon can't decide what a vendor wants to do with returns. However, I'm surprised they can be bothered handling the disposal of it. Also surprised Fife Council would allow materials to go to landfill rather than recycling. Even a damaged laptop or tablet will have salvagable parts and a lot of precious metals!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 20:16

They can`t decide tax policy either, but they seem to get what they want with that...

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 24 Jun 20:22

A few years ago i bought the full Guitar Hero set off Amazon which was pretty substantial in terms of size, however they sent the PS4 version instead of the Xbox One version that i ordered.

They sent me the correct version no questions asked but asked to send back the original by way of a dedicated safety deposit locker at Silverburn shopping centre in Glasgow.

Turns out it wouldn't fit (not even close) so when i brought this up with Amazon customer services they just advised that i could keep a hold of it and wrote off the return.

Obviously a drop in the ocean to them but when you hear how thrifty and big they are on efficiency + savings to squeeze out every last penny it was pretty surprising to see it written off like that especially when it was literally still brand new and faultless.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net