DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Any body on Universal Credits and working 16 hours? Advice needed.
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 16:42

So, I work in a kitchen with 2 others, where it`s a solid hard job and if anybody takes a holiday the other two don`t get a day off. So we`ve hired a new guy who wouldn`t take the job on part time hours.
So me being last on had to take the bullet and will be gradually going down to 16 hours a week. I need to know if I`ll get any help with rent and council tax. I`m on £9.50 an hour. Anyone in a similar situation with any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Obviously I`m looking for a new job but until my fishing reel catches a bite I`m stuck where I am. It`s also impossible to keep the universal credits updated when I`m not sure how many hours I`m getting but it will be 16 in a couple of months when the new guy is trained up and the other two lads get a week`s holiday.

Life can really suck,in fact, I find it rare that it doesn`t boot me in the ging gangs.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Any body on Universal Credits and working 16 hours? Advice needed.
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 17:20

You may not get the full amount, depending on a few factors.

For example, it if you are sick or have responsibility for a child.

I would advise you to either speak to your local Citizens` Advice or have a look at Benefits Calculator into which you can enter a few details and it will let you know what you will be entitled to.

Good luck mate, your situation sucks but it isn`t the end of the world.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 17:45

Not able to answer the query but it's stuff like this that make people reluctant to work. It should be that pay is topped up with benefits to encourage people to work but the uncertainty is probably quite scary.

Kozma, did you offer to reduce your hours, or did they do that for you to accommodate the new guy? If the latter, I'd suggest a chat with your union or citizens advice as that doesn't sound right to me.

Best of luck with a new job. Hope you catch some fish soon!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 18:04

Kozma, feel for you mate .. Surely your employer has to keep you on your hours and the new guy (untrained) should not dictate his hours to your employer .. He should have been told the job is what it is 16 hours .. Wish you all the best in your job search I hope you are successful .. They don`t deserve you Kozma

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 18:41

I’ve worked in kitchens most of my working life and it’s the most graft for the least reward. I’m doing something else now thankfully but I’ll never forget how we were treated by people. kozma, you being last in the door should have nothing to do with anything. Those days are gone now. I suggest you look into this further as it seems you’re being shafted here. Thing is, I know how kitchen politics work so you’ll probably be fobbed off. What is it you do in the kitchen anyway? KPs are looked at as sub-human so if it’s that then I know your pain. You are judged by idiots.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 23:26

Apply for Amazon again. They have ditched the agency and doing it themselves now. Plenty overtime going on top decent wages.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 23 Jul 00:22

Worked in some horrendous conditions, as a young chef in training. Head chefs,were absolute bully's and cowards.It was a culture, that was accepted in the early 70s and 80s.Thankfully,I came out relatively unscathed, but others suffered horrendously. A head chef ,whom I worked for, was the worst,died,an achoholic, in his 30s. Mr G Ramsay,you should be ashamed, no other industry would tolerate that behaviour.

Post Edited (Fri 23 Jul 00:25)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Sun 25 Jul 12:14

The thing is, the guys are alright. This has happened because I told them I wasn`t happy in the job so was looking for another job. I told them I would continue to be professional (which I have been) and that if I got a new job I`d give at least 2 weeks notice. So the minute I`ve said that I have an interview they`ve been all sneaky and went and hired someone else so they can phase me out.

Not cool.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Sun 25 Jul 12:16

Quote:

kozmasrightfoot, Sun 25 Jul 12:14

The thing is, the guys are alright. This has happened because I told them I wasn`t happy in the job so was looking for another job. I told them I would continue to be professional (which I have been) and that if I got a new job I`d give at least 2 weeks notice. So the minute I`ve said that I have an interview they`ve been all sneaky and went and hired someone else so they can phase me out.

Not cool.

Wee lesson there Kozma, keep yer cards close to your chest. Tell them what they need to know but only when they need to hear it 👍

Hope you get sorted with something else soon.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net