DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Work rights.
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 10:17

I`m going to call citizens advice later but its shut until 1pm. I thought there would perhaps be some knowledgeable people on here that could help. I got a job at Amazon. Right now I`ve been cheffing in a small pub for about 4 months. I was never given a contract to sign so does anybody know how much notice I legally have to give?
I know its going to be a nightmare to work there now with dirty looks and talking behind my back a certainty. I`ve given them 2 weeks but I`m scared amazon will stop offering me shifts if I don`t take any for the first two weeks.

Any advice appreciated.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Work rights.
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 10:35

This might help kozma :-

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/leaving-a-job/resigning/your-notice-period-when-resigning/

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kechal7  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 10:49

Unless you have an holidays/bonuses due to you, you are free to leave whenever you please. You are a casual worker if there is no contract in place and can come and go as you please

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 11:14

Quote:

kechal7, Thu 29 Jul 10:49

Unless you have an holidays/bonuses due to you, you are free to leave whenever you please. You are a casual worker if there is no contract in place and can come and go as you please

This.

Not having a contract cuts both ways, you can legally, and morally, just leave.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 12:30

Look after yourself, Kozma. Don't jeopardise your new job.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 12:37

Above advice is right if you don’t have a contract you can leave when you want, out of courtesy I’d suggest you’d give them some notice that you were looking for something but think you’ve already done that.

Be selfish, look after yourself.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 14:08

Aye, sounds like they haven't given you a contract, because that suited them. It wouldn't have been for your benefit anyway. This new job should be your priority now, so I would say if they start offering shifts, take them, even if it means letting down the existing employers.
I would just be up front with them, say you have this job coming up and what your intentions are. Can't really be fairer to them than that if no contract is in place. Just continue to be a good worker while you are there and leave on good terms, so there is always a possibility that you can ask them for the occasional shift again in future if needs must. No point burning bridges as you never know when you might need them
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 14:26

What department and shifts in amazon. Ill need to look out for you.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 15:26

I'd suggest discussing with the current employer asap. We've employed contractors and work on the basis of a weeks notice and that's agreed in their contract with us. We usually try and give them more notice as we don't like to keep people hanging.

If there's no contract, you could walk away today, but be mindful that you probably want a reference so it could be worth offering a few days.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 16:29

They don`t deserve courtesy. I had an interview about a month ago, I was upfront with them about it and what did they do? They went sneakily behind my back looking for someone else. They then got someone else, proceeded to cut my hours and asked me to go on the dole and accept cash in hand for the few shifts they gave me.

I then get a job and they act like I`m the snake. Courtesy my bum.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 16:55

Screw them Kozma, if they cared about you at all they would have given you a contract.
You are due them nothing, if they don't owe you holidays or money, leave ASAP and keep yourself right

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.

Post Edited (Thu 29 Jul 16:58)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 17:04

Yeah in that case there isn’t really a decision to be made.

Post Edited (Thu 29 Jul 17:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 18:26

Personally I`d leave after 1 week. You have no contract and it`s obviously draining your mental health. Get started at Amazon ASAP. They cannot give you a bad reference either, it`s illegal for an employer to do that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 19:04

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 20:53

Unfortunately EEP, the owner is a nut job who is up for attempted murder, so your suggestion is a no go. I will be due about a weeks wages and 3 or 4 months accrued annual leave but the way the head chef has worked the rota(I`ve asked for as little hours as possible) I`m due to work a half shift on Sunday then I`m off until the following Thursday which takes me up to a weeks notice. One half shift, do I do it or phone in sick?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 21:30

Do Amazon or the agency need a reference from them? Just watch for that. Legally, they are only supposed to provide factual info (period employed, days sick etc) but some bosses are see you next Tuesday's.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 23:33

You wont need a reference for Amazon.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Jul 16:02

That`s me cut loose from them, phoned CAB and went about everything the correct way. I`ll just have to wait and see if I get the money owed to me next pay day in late July.

I`ve still got to hand back some chef jackets that were loaned to me. I`ll try and do it at a time when nobody is around, or maybe I`ll mail them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 30 Jul 17:02

Well done Kozma, you will feel better in yourself now you have cut ties

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 30 Jul 17:52

Good man Kozma .. I hope all goes well for you and your new job at Amazon ..

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Jul 18:37

Great to hear. Onwards and upwards!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Fri 30 Jul 21:49

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Jul 23:34

Kozma, what department and shifts are you on.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 4 Aug 15:53

East central scotland is a small place, give them as little to come back on you with where possible as moving on and references etc you wont want to come back on you.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net