DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Covid Tests for UK Arrivals
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 19 Aug 13:03

My elderly neighbours recently returned from a family holiday in Spain with their son and his family, who live in England. My neighbours were charged £88 each for the mandatory PCR DIY Test, whereas their son's family only paid £40 pp for the same test.

Apparently, people residing in England can choose from a variety of test providers, but in Scotland only one has been approved by the Scottish Government. My neighbour alleges that several companies put in bids and one was as low as £20, but they were all turned down in favour of Quarantine Hotel.

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this decision.....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Covid Tests for UK Arrivals
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Thu 19 Aug 13:25

DIY PCR tests are all well and good IF people (a) do them and (b) quarantine if they come back positive, however, there is no guarantee that that will happen which could allow a new variant to arrive on our shores and be spread much like the Delta or Indian variant did.

By ensuring everyone goes into a hotel this cuts this possibility by a massive amount, therefore it’s safer for everyone.

I don’t know if that’s the real reason just my take on it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 19 Aug 13:53

Quote:

ParfectXI, Thu 19 Aug 13:25

DIY PCR tests are all well and good IF people (a) do them and (b) quarantine if they come back positive, however, there is no guarantee that that will happen which could allow a new variant to arrive on our shores and be spread much like the Delta or Indian variant did.

By ensuring everyone goes into a hotel this cuts this possibility by a massive amount, therefore it’s safer for everyone.

I don’t know if that’s the real reason just my take on it.

I may have inadvertently confused you, Parfect. The company to which the test fee is payable is Quarantine Hotel. The testing kit is sent to your home address after payment is received and you test yourself the day after you arrive in Scotland and send it away for analysis. You cannot complete a Passenger Locator Form until the test is booked and paid for as they send you a code which is needed for the form.

Of course, the fact that people are unsupervised means that it is open to abuse, but given it's just a massive rip off and they get the money they want, I doubt they'll be too concerned.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Thu 19 Aug 14:42

Ahh yes I’m easily confused. It does seem a bit strange looking at it - but who knows - it may be like England (hopefully not) where companies are chosen because it’s run by friends or other MPs!

The whole Covid debacle needs looking into and any MP, MSP or friend who has made money out of this pandemic should be dealt with accordingly as a clear conflict of interest.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 19 Aug 20:34

I think your pal has been had. You can do any PCR test provided it meets the standards. It's the same standards for the PCR tests UK-wide and I think same in mainland Europe.

Edited to say that, having looked at this, it does look like those in Scotland (and Wales and N.Ireland) have to book via CTM (Quarantine Hotels). These tests are NHS provided. Private tests are not being accepted as there are concerns about the speed the private companies are firing through the results.

Post Edited (Thu 19 Aug 20:49)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kechal7  
Date:   Thu 19 Aug 23:17

We’re quick enough to bang on about the Tories rinsing us all and yet our own government have basically created an overpriced monopolised test for their own good. It has come down by £20 now I believe but it is still a disgrace!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 20 Aug 00:07

Ah... having to pay for medical stuff, eh...?

In this very small example, you get a taste of what life will be like for you if ever you allow the NHS to be privatised...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kechal7  
Date:   Fri 20 Aug 11:02

OzPar wrote:

> Ah... having to pay for medical stuff, eh...?
>
> In this very small example, you get a taste of what life will
> be like for you if ever you allow the NHS to be privatised...
>
>

I have no problem paying, I just want the choice to pay whoever I want for the exact same product and not be forced into buying one lining the government`s pockets

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 20 Aug 16:58

Quote:

jake89, Thu 19 Aug 20:34

I think your pal has been had. You can do any PCR test provided it meets the standards. It's the same standards for the PCR tests UK-wide and I think same in mainland Europe.

Edited to say that, having looked at this, it does look like those in Scotland (and Wales and N.Ireland) have to book via CTM (Quarantine Hotels). These tests are NHS provided. Private tests are not being accepted as there are concerns about the speed the private companies are firing through the results.

I'm glad you checked that out, Jake. The Scottish Government website directs the passenger to CTM (Quarantine Hotels) as the only bookable provider of the mandatory test. Like many others arriving from abroad (for what I consider a very necessary journey) I am of the opinion that £88 for a DIY kit was a complete rip off, as is the new price of £68. In Italy we paid £15 pp at a local pharmacy and this included Fit to Fly Certificates.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Aug 20:40

It's all odd. The SG guidance says the test must meet a standard, which is the same standard all over Europe. However, the FOI response to this question states that SG (and other administrations) are concerned about how the actual results are being analysed by these private companies. So the tests are fine but the companies processing them seem to be moving faster than they should be.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Sat 21 Aug 10:14

I didn’t mind paying to be tested on return from holiday, the NHS shouldn’t bear the cost of that, but the Scottish price has to be a rip-off. Friends we met from England we’re comparing sites to get return tests. Scots have no choice.

you need to show you’ve booked your CPR tests in advance, completed the PLF and show a negative test taken in the previous 24 hrs.

At airport check-in in Crete, passengers on our flight were being turned away if they hadn’t got all 3. An expensive mistake!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Aug 13:21

Seems expensive but I can understand why you wouldn't necessarily trust a private company.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 21 Aug 15:33

What’s the rules of your coming back from an amber list country but landing in London first before heading up to Edinburgh a few hours later?

Can you buy a test suitable for use in England?

Same with the pre departure one, what if departing the U.K. from a London airport but initial departure was from Edinburgh?

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Aug 16:17

Presumably it counts as you coming from England so no test required?

Was reading earlier that one of the guys running one of the test outfits on the approved list is a convicted drugs smuggler.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 18:12

So booking a day 2 PCR test from an English based company and sent to your home in Scotland isn't allowed ? Do we in Scotland have to use the (only)one recommended by the SG ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 11:49

Quote:

MikeyLeonard, Tue 31 Aug 18:12

So booking a day 2 PCR test from an English based company and sent to your home in Scotland isn't allowed ? Do we in Scotland have to use the (only)one recommended by the SG ?

If you're coming back to Scotland, you don't have a choice, Mikey. When you fill in your Passenger Locator form, you're directed to CMT(Quarantine Hotels). Once you've booked and pre-paid for your test(s) they send you a code, without which you cannot generate the QR code needed to fly back. You also need to take a negative Covid test no more than 48 hours before flying and present a Fit to Fly Certificate for each passenger at the airport.

If you're flying to an English airport, you can select from a variety of test providers starting at £20, but there is a Gov disclaimer saying that these providers state that their tests meet the min standard but may not. CMT now charge Scotland arrivals £68 instead of £88. For larger groups, that's quite a significant outlay.

Eta. You can't even lie about your destination as you must provide your flight and seat nos. 🙁

Post Edited (Wed 01 Sep 11:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 14:17

Stop the press, this is changing and very soon. Private Pcr tests to be allowed in Scotland, should help reduce prices.

https://www.gov.scot/news/international-travellers-to-scotland-will-be-able-to-use-private-sector-covid-tests/

Post Edited (Wed 01 Sep 14:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 19:56

Quote:

Berkey, Wed 1 Sep 14:17

Stop the press, this is changing and very soon. Private Pcr tests to be allowed in Scotland, should help reduce prices.

https://www.gov.scot/news/international-travellers-to-scotland-will-be-able-to-use-private-sector-covid-tests/

That's brilliant news and not before time. Not only will it give the travel industry a much needed boost, it will reduce the fleecing of UK arrivals who have already tested negative before flying and are almost certainly going to test negative once more a few days later.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net