DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Emma Raducanu
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 07:02

She is into the US Open final at her first attempt and she has absolutely demolished her opposition on route to getting there. If she maintains this form for the next three or four years you could well see her winning multiple slams.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Emma Raducanu
Topic Originator: Pars232  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 07:23

Brilliant
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 07:30

Really felt for her at Wimbledon. Great to see her bouncing back immediately.

Seems like she is destined for great things.

It's on Amazon Prime Video for those no aware.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 07:31

It`s a bit insane what she is doing.
I think she and Fernández have the potential to dominate the game for a good few years.
The pessimist in me is just waiting for the Great British Press to try to destroy her, but I think she seems intelligent enough so she will be ready for them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 07:58

Have they not already, with that vermin, piers Morgan taking pot shots.

Basturt

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 08:17

I think the British media will get full square behind her as she is going to usurp, supporter of Scottish independence, Andy Murray as the greatest ever British tennis player.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 09:27

That remains to be seen. Plenty of young tennis players have performed amazingly at a grand slam at a young age without the predicted world domination transpiring e.g. Andreescu, Bouchard, Ostapenko etc.

I think we should just enjoy her amazing achievement and hope she wins the final. After that, let the future play out without burdening her with expectation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 10:26

A truly fantastic achievement by such a young lady. The media are going a bit overboard about her being British, though. She was born in Canada and neither of her parents were born in the UK, so she's only British in the sense that she's lived here for most of her life.

They also said she was the first qualifier to reach a Grand Slam final, but didn't Boris Becker win Wimbledon as a qualifier?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 10:55

According to wikipedia Boris Becker was the youngest player to win a Grand Slam title when he won Wimbledon in 1985 (later bettered by Michael Chang). He wasn`t seeded but was ranked 20th in the world at a time when there were only 16 players seeded, so it`s unlikely he was a qualifier.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 12:52

GG, I know this wasn`t your intent as the views you express in this forum are always of a tolerant persuasion but imagine if some little englander said about, say Raheem Sterling, "he wasn`t born here and nor were his parents and the only thing that makes him English is the fact he has spent most of his life here``. Such a statement would have a sinister undertone to it I`m sure.
Again i stress I know that wasn`t you were implying with regard to Raducanu but I don`t think the media have any choice but to give her the full rule Britannia treatment just the same as she was Sally Smith from Leamington Spa.
On a wider point I`d actually argue that where someone is raised and spent their formative years is the biggest qualifier when it comes to assigning nationality.

Post Edited (Fri 10 Sep 12:53)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 13:11

I remember Boris Becker won the Queen`s tournament a couple of weeks before Wimbledon. I think that alone would have got him automatic qualification. Incredible that he was only 17 at the time.

I had the thrill of seeing Becker play McEnroe in the Australian Open back in 1992. It was mid-tournament, maybe the third round. McEnroe won fairly easily in three sets.

Tennis is one of those sports that are way better watching live than on TV.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 16:51

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 10 Sep 12:52

GG, I know this wasn`t your intent as the views you express in this forum are always of a tolerant persuasion but imagine if some little englander said about, say Raheem Sterling, "he wasn`t born here and nor were his parents and the only thing that makes him English is the fact he has spent most of his life here``. Such a statement would have a sinister undertone to it I`m sure.
Again i stress I know that wasn`t you were implying with regard to Raducanu but I don`t think the media have any choice but to give her the full rule Britannia treatment just the same as she was Sally Smith from Leamington Spa.
On a wider point I`d actually argue that where someone is raised and spent their formative years is the biggest qualifier when it comes to assigning nationality.

For the avoidance of doubt, it certainly wasn't my intention and I'm about as far away from a little Englander as it's possible to be. Factor in that I was born in Italy, of Italian parents, so I can hardly claim to be British or even Scottish, although I feel far more at home here than I do in Italy, having lived in Fife since 1960.

No, what I meant was that the media are making a big song and dance about her being British, because she's done so well. I can imagine far less emphasis on her Britishness if she was to fail to live up to expectations at some point in the future.

Andy Murray is British when he wins and Scottish when he doesn't. Zola Budd was S. African when she collided with Mary Decker even though she owned a British passport in the 3,000 metres, at the 1984 Olympic Games.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Sep 16:53

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 10 Sep 10:55

According to wikipedia Boris Becker was the youngest player to win a Grand Slam title when he won Wimbledon in 1985 (later bettered by Michael Chang). He wasn`t seeded but was ranked 20th in the world at a time when there were only 16 players seeded, so it`s unlikely he was a qualifier.

Yes, you're correct, eck. I confused the fact that Becker was unseeded with him having to qualify, which was clearly not the case.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 10:00

Final live on C4

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 12:42

Zola Budd got into the Olympics by virtue of a British grandfather and Daily Mail sponsored campaign to fast track (pun intended)British citizenship. A pure stunt to circumvent the Apartheid ban.
I am not aware of Andy having his Nationalty castigated or categorised on his results?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 12:59

Oh…smart business by C4, huge audience, they will hike up the advertisement fees. Non Amazon Prime subscribers be prepared for lots of ad breaks!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 22:02

Intriguing, even match so far... and no adverts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 23:31

Massive congratulations to Emma Raducanu in wining the US Open Women’s Singles !!!
She beat Leylandah Fernandez
6-4 6-3
Emma ~ 18-year-old ~ is the first British woman in a major singles final in 44 years

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 23:42

Two sensational young women. Wonderful match.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 23:56

I remember seeing her in the `Battle of the Brits` tournament that was staged last summer when Wimbledon was cancelled and thinking she was the most promising of the younger players coming through but I wasn`t thinking about her winning a major, and certainly not so soon.

The final was a very high standard but I do miss the net play, lobs and drop shots etc which seem to have virtually disappeared from hard-court tennis.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hay Fever  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 00:06

This could just be the greatest sporting achievement ever by a Brit and probably surpasses Leicester as the biggest British sporting surprise.👏

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 02:11

Enjoyed the match. Refreshing to see two athletes competing for a title instead of big bruisers

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 07:19

Would still say Leicester trumps it to be honest, over a 38 game season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 08:27

Think your all forgetting about the biggest achievement for this country:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/dec/07/sport.kirstyscott

We’ve got tennis courts and clubs everywhere and most folk have a tennis racket in the garage or loft… we’ve got football clubs all over the country. And basically everyone has played football at school and owned a ball…

Can’t remember anyone doing this or having the equipment needed!

PS well done to both girls in the final and congrats to the winner as she played very well.

Post Edited (Sun 12 Sep 08:29)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 18:34

For me - it surpasses Leicester. In January she hadn`t played a WTA Tour match and was tweeting about whether her A-Levels would go ahead. To win the US Open 9 months later, as a qualifier, not losing set, and not having a single set out of 20 even go to a tie break is an achievement that is unlikely to be surpassed. Ever.

Looking with hindsight the quality of Leicester`s squad - Schmeichel, Kante, Mahrez, Vardy perhaps that win wasn`t quite as big a shock as we thought it was.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 18:41

Good darts C4. 9.2m viewers.

Sweet Caroline at the end was wonderful.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 18:51

I guess Bandy it kinda depends. Leicester won it out of nowhere and haven`t and almost certainly won`t come close again. If Raducanu goes on to win more slams in the coming years then, with hindsight, you`ll look back at this triumph with the knowledge that she is just an exceptional talent and that she won shouldn`t have been a shock.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 20:41

The odds on her winning the US in January would definitely be more than 5000-1 and that’s not mentioning not losing a set.
As she first had to use her wildcard at Wimbledon to produce what at the time would be the tennis result of the year to get into US. Then breaking every record just making it to the semifinals, her achievement is outstanding!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Sep 23:43

Djokovic pumped tonight. Quality. Some awful people in the crowd as well.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Sep 12:21

Apparently someone brought Piers Morgan up and Emma said she’d never heard of her. Don’t know if true or not, but hope so.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Mon 13 Sep 20:45

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Sun 12 Sep 23:43

Why was the other guy getting abuse?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Sep 21:16

Quote:

Berry, Mon 13 Sep 20:45

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Sun 12 Sep 23:43

Why was the other guy getting abuse?

It's just the New York crowd being themselves. A handful were over excited and wanted to witness history. A proportion of them (bit like the Americans at golf really) don't really have the same traditions as us UK fans who would never think to try and actively distract a player serving.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Mon 13 Sep 22:49

Best bit that the Uk media avoid is both girls were born in Canada of immigrant parents.Maybe Priti said they should never report that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Sep 09:06

The background of both girls and the part their respective parents played in their success has been all over the media, otherwise how did you know …
And Priti’s parents were immigrants, did you not know that?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 14 Sep 09:16

I definitely heard mention if her ethnic background. I heard Romanian and Chinese. I don't watch tennis so wasn't even paying attention and picked up on this.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net