DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 How fat is Dunfermline?
Topic Originator: Doves  
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 11:06

A new Burger King coming. New Costa. Third McDonalds being built.

Fast food gaffs all over the place.

Pure fat as nick eh.

Should these places be so plentiful? Are they everywhere because we are eating in them or are we eating because they are everywhere and advertised constantly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23JclvCS_rg

Post Edited (Thu 16 Sep 11:06)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: How fat is Dunfermline?
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 11:16

Is it not just to cater for that end of the town?

Not many food outlets being built elsewhere in the town.

Although I see another one of these ice cream shops is going into the old Stephens on Guildhall Street so maybe you are correct.

Post Edited (Thu 16 Sep 11:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 12:05

It's not so much "that side of town" more where things are easily accessible by car.

The third McDonalds at Duloch is a joke. It displays how bad Planning has become in this country. Barely a 20 minute walk or 5 minute drive from the existing one and being built at the back of an additional needs school.

The Costa and Burger King should have been within the retail park imo but I don't think that extension will ever be built. I think the planning permission is simply to make the retail park more attractive to potential buyers.

The ice cream place will be a nice new addition. Something a bit different.

You've missed the new Tim Horton's at the leisure park.

And just wait for the West development of Dunfermline. Guaranteed to have a "town centre" consisting of a Gregg's, tanning salon, charity shop, Subway and maybe a Sainsbury's local.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 12:34

I dont live in Dunfermline now but seems mega excessive. Two McDonalds in Duloch. There is even one in Halbeath ASDA, or did that close?

Im at that stage now where im approaching 40 in next couple of years and noticing the spread, and ill freely admit ive done my fiar share of trips to these places, but its just all too easy to access any old junk food on your door step.

Bet most of them will still use uber eats and stuff though even though they are walking distance

When will there be a soup fast food chain.Healthy, people like soup, variety of soup is huge...how has that never happened?

BEAST!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 13:19

Most cafes do takeaway soup. I think the tattie shop on New Row might do it too.

The ASDA one is still open. It's hard work putting a jacket over your jammies to pick up a trolley full of ready meals so a McDonalds is needed to give you the energy to make it back to your car.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 14:26

As long as the masses crave junk food these places will keep popping up. The queues to the drivethrough at McDs in Duloch cause a problem and are a solid indication that another one at the other side of Duloch is actually required.

Hopefully the BK at Halbeath will reduce that queue too.

Canny blame the planning department for providing what the people want. If they refused and set a plicy to provide what we need, they would be accused of creating a nanny state.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 14:37

They're not supposed to approve fast food near schools.

Can you imagine the queue at Duloch? No-one will be able to get into Aldi or Tesco. It's p*** poor planning. Tesco seem to be doing it across the country. Selling off their car parks for McDonalds. So fewer parking spaces and increased traffic...I'm praying we get a new Morrison's or something as Aldi will be inaccessible and ASDA is manky.

Also, the leisure park one is busy as it's the only drive through one in West Fife. Nearest other one is probably the Fife Retail Park. If they needed an outlet it would've made more sense looking on the west side of town or the new "gateway" at Dalgety Bay.

Post Edited (Thu 16 Sep 14:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 14:51

Where’s the new Costa?

Took the boy to mini golf at weekend and noticed Chiquitos is now getting replaced by a Tim Hortons, practically right next door to a Starbucks….

Post Edited (Thu 16 Sep 14:51)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 15:49

Don't go!

Its processed crap and not good for you

The UK is one of the fattest nations globally and getting worse - 2/3rds of us are overweight and about 1/3 of us are obese.

One of the main causes is the quantity and quality of what we eat (and sugar laden drinks)

Annoying thing is, its relatively easy to change and not going to places like those mentioned above is a good start
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 15:58

Costa is at Halbeath. It's a Costa and Burger King and then I think there's a row of wee units. One is a tanning place. Expect one to be a Gregg's. Costa moaned and managed to get a 5:30am opening agreed on appeal.

Tim Horton's coffee is far better than Starbucks.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 16:41

Crikey didn’t think there was enough room for that much at the roundabout there.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 17:43

Quote:

Berry, Thu 16 Sep 16:41

Crikey didn’t think there was enough room for that much at the roundabout there.

It goes quite far back. Access is in Halbeath itself. I assume they knocked down Hotel Roma and then there was an old garage offering the best handwash in town and then a load of space at the back too. Helped that they chopped down all the trees too so there's less noise screening.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 18:02

Halbeath site was derelict and an eyesore so it’s good to see it put to good use. Dunfermline is not the only place where more fast food outlets are springing up,I drive all over Scotland on a daily basis and it’s no different from anywhere else to be fair. (Glad we finally go a BK!)

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 20:43

I'd rather this that watch as the down descends further into the barren scape that it's become. There's literally no shopping facilities in town, derelict shops everywhere, place is dead. Atleast these places will provide some much needed jobs because outwith carework or call centres there's very little going in town now
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 20:57

Was in Macdonalds Halbeath about mid day last week, constant stream of delivery drivers, justeat, deliveroo!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Sep 23:01

Quote:

Andrew283, Thu 16 Sep 20:43

I'd rather this that watch as the down descends further into the barren scape that it's become. There's literally no shopping facilities in town, derelict shops everywhere, place is dead. Atleast these places will provide some much needed jobs because outwith carework or call centres there's very little going in town now

Disagree to some extent. Town centres are dying but it's good to see the new vegan place, the tattie shop and the sweetie place all open on the New Row in the past year. This is what high streets need to get back to. When you see people fawning over pictures of high streets when they were kids it's pretty rare that their memories are of a big retailer (co-op and Woolies may be exceptions).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 17 Sep 09:33

Nope, Hotel Roma is still there - in its usual entire disrepair and falling down state. What a sight to see on the bus :-(

It is indeed a Gregg`s which is the unit to the rear - next door to Burger King.

I thought it was an unusual siting for these food outlets - and I can`t imagine what the parking issue is going to be like, given the main road carries buses and cars to and from the town, as well as to the college and the primary school. If people are going to park across the road, say, near Pets At Home, then there`s going to have to be a crossing put in at that junction, or there`s going to be accidents with people just walking over from there.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Fri 17 Sep 09:55

So much for trying to stop our obesity epidemic. There should be a law that stops fast food restaurants being opened within a 2 mile radius of a school, college or anywhere really that lots of kids attend.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 20:29

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 20:34

Burger King is far superior to McDonalds in the burger department. McDonalds fries are better though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Sep 21:29

McDonald's Garlic mayo chicken wrap is a thing of beauty
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 09:57

Quote:

jake89, Thu 16 Sep 14:37

Can you imagine the queue at Duloch? No-one will be able to get into Aldi or Tesco. It's p*** poor planning. Tesco seem to be doing it across the country. Selling off their car parks for McDonalds. So fewer parking spaces and increased traffic...I'm praying we get a new Morrison's or something as Aldi will be inaccessible and ASDA is manky.

Also, the leisure park one is busy as it's the only drive through one in West Fife. Nearest other one is probably the Fife Retail Park. If they needed an outlet it would've made more sense looking on the west side of town or the new "gateway" at Dalgety Bay.

Morrison’s do the same. They just sold car park space to McDonald’s in Stirling.

Tim Hortons food is the worst takeaway I’ve had.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 10:12

Tim Horton's is good for coffee. I wouldn't bother with their food. Timbits are great but the sandwiches are pretty poor.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 10:33

I’m hoping this doesn’t put at risk Armandos? Hoping the opposite infact!

Post Edited (Sun 19 Sep 10:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Sep 11:37

Burger King appears to be open. Was a queue when I went past a minute ago.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 01:00

Quote:

allparone, Sun 19 Sep 09:57

Quote:

jake89, Thu 16 Sep 14:37

Morrison’s do the same. They just sold car park space to McDonald’s in Stirling.

Tim Hortons food is the worst takeaway I’ve had.

Agreed. I tried the shop in brucefield. Crap food and worse service. Wont be back.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 01:25

If the new McDonalds results in a similar que as the retail park one then Tesco will have shot them self in the foot as access to car park will result in gridlock!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 06:56

Quote:

DulochConvert, Mon 20 Sep 01:25

If the new McDonalds results in a similar que as the retail park one then Tesco will have shot them self in the foot as access to car park will result in gridlock!

I've accepted I'll be shopping elsewhere. It'll end up like the KFC in Kirkcaldy where you end up stuck in the retail park due to the queue. Whoever signed this one off must have been off their head. The turn where the McDonalds is has always been notorious for near misses. And allowing it so close to a school is surely against some planning policy?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 14:03

I assumed they would improve acces and exits in that carpark. It has always been a nightmare.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 14:19

It's at the wrong end of the car park IMO but they claimed they amended their plans to lessen the noise and litter impact on those in the houses beside Tesco. The entrance for McDonalds will be that first left as you come round the bend. Always been a poorly designed junction. I suspect they'll make it one way so you go in on the first left and leave on the second. That won't help if there's a queue though as it'll block the roundabout meaning no access to Aldi or Tesco.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 14:25

How about you walk to Tesco you absolute Pies? 🤔👀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 14:58

Tim Horton's food is absolutely terrible. Coffee was fine and cakes looked OK.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 15:39

Quote:

Andrew283, Mon 20 Sep 14:25

How about you walk to Tesco you absolute Pies? 🤔👀

Fine if buying a couple of bags but try carting back a few days shopping plus pet food. No danger. Though if you live in Halbeath the solution is to take the trolley back home with you then shove it out onto the road.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Doves  
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 19:14

A Greggs nextdoor to a Burger King. Can`t wait to wash down a sausage roll with a 🍔. Totally targeting College students.

Fast food is harmful, to be found everywhere and advertising for it is off the scale, including being hitched onto sport. If it wasn`t working McDonald`s wouldn`t be building their third restaurant here.

One day it`ll be treated like gambling and advertising like it does now will be outlawed. That would be a start.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jun/23/uk-to-ban-junk-food-advertising-online-and-before-9pm-on-tv-from-2023

Banned from 2023.

Post Edited (Mon 20 Sep 19:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 20:38

I was disappointed to see a whopper of a big, distasteful sign plastered over the main stand advertising Burger King.
I thought being a community club we wouldn't play a part in this but I understand money talks
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 21:40

The college students will be moving up the road soon enough so it'll be a toss up between BK and all the other units at the leisure park.

It's a good location. Not far from the motorway and easily accessible to people to the east. I should get a job as an estate agent 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 21:50

Not sure where Duloch is but the topographic would suggest a poor run down area where the fore mentioned food and supermarket outlets concentrate on a specific demographic .. fwiw I like a chicken legend with spicy mayo..large fries .. and a flat white .. Not any unhealthier than a Tesco meal deal but much tastier

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Sep 22:26

Put that rod away BPP.

These places target people with disposable income to waste. Duloch is probably ideal. Enough money to waste on junk food but not wealthy enough to turn to veganism.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Sep 06:08

Perhaps 5-10 years ago it was difficult / expensive to eat vegan/veggie/healthy but not so much these days

For less than the price of burger king meal, you can easily make something tastier, healthier and more filing - I accept you would need to put in a bit of effort in to prepare it but will worth it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 24 Sep 19:45

The planners should be shot - my bus was stuck for approximately 12 mins on the main street last night when we hit the queues going in - and oot - at Burger King. There were two stewards - I presume from BK - asking people in their cars to be patient (good job they didn`t dander over to our bus - oor driver had steam coming oot his ears)

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Sep 19:51

Just wait until that McDonalds at Duloch opens. We'll see local councillors who voted it through throwing their arms up and complaining about a sudden rise in traffic, litter and antisocial behaviour. The worrying thing is the councillors said there was no point objecting as the Scottish Government reporter would just approve it and they'd have wasted money going through that process.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Fri 24 Sep 20:25

I don't care if it's unhealthy i know what i like and won't be lectured by anyone on what i put inside my body especially when the only person impacted by this is myself
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Sep 20:47

And that's completely your decision and you can assess the benefits and disbenefits of eating junk food and you're free to make that choice as often as you wish.

However I do disagree with the statement about you being the only one impacted...

as with all individual choices, whether that be junk food, smoking, excessive drinking, gambling, extreme sports, Munro bagging in the winter etc there is always a social cost - so you may bear the direct impact, but society often bears an indirect impact.

For example, the English gov. Released figures that for 2014-2015, the annual spend on the treatment of obesity and diabetes was greater than the amount spent on the police, the fire service and the judicial system combined.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Sep 20:54

Quote:

DBP, Fri 24 Sep 20:47

And that's completely your decision and you can assess the benefits and disbenefits of eating junk food and you're free to make that choice as often as you wish.

However I do disagree with the statement about you being the only one impacted...

as with all individual choices, whether that be junk food, smoking, excessive drinking, gambling, extreme sports, Munro bagging in the winter etc there is always a social cost - so you may bear the direct impact, but society often bears an indirect impact.

For example, the English gov. Released figures that for 2014-2015, the annual spend on the treatment of obesity and diabetes was greater than the amount spent on the police, the fire service and the judicial system combined.

FFS, if the boy wants a burger and there’s demand for burgers then put a further shop up selling…burgers.

There’s clearly a demand for it over here, McDonalds in retail park is always filled to the rim, Asda is a captive market and with no longer needing to go over the bridge for a BK, that will sell big.

Smashburger i reckon will take the biggest hit.

Know what we need though, a social credit system like in China to curb all this fattiness, we have nicely developed an app recently which I’m sure can be leveraged…..

The location where they are is the biggest issue.

Post Edited (Fri 24 Sep 21:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 24 Sep 22:56

Never get this obsession with McDonald's, or any other fast food outlet, folk will wait for hours for it,why ??? Go home and do some real cooking,lazy people .And don't give me we are working hard rubbish.

Post Edited (Fri 24 Sep 22:58)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 24 Sep 23:28

Quote:

Berry, Fri 24 Sep 20:54

Quote:

DBP, Fri 24 Sep 20:47

FFS, if the boy wants a burger and there’s demand for burgers then put a further shop up selling…burgers.

There’s clearly a demand for it over here, McDonalds in retail park is always filled to the rim, Asda is a captive market and with no longer needing to go over the bridge for a BK, that will sell big.

Smashburger i reckon will take the biggest hit.

Know what we need though, a social credit system like in China to curb all this fattiness, we have nicely developed an app recently which I’m sure can be leveraged…..

The location where they are is the biggest issue.

I saw what you did there.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 25 Sep 00:55

``Never get this obsession with McDonald`s, or any other fast food outlet, folk will wait for hours for it,why ??? ``

I can`t speak for Dunfermline, but in my experience MacDonalds burgers are cheap and produced quickly, and they also fill you up. They`re a godsend to a non cook like myself. MacDonalds are also open 24 hours in most capital cities and you can use their toilets even if you`re not a customer. Even if you sit in, it`s just a quick refuelling stop. They fill a gap in the market for sure.

Older readers will remember the mobile chip vans which used to come round council schemes in the late evening. They were packed out for the similar reasons. In addition Scotland is a damp, grey often windy country so a chip van, or I assume a MacDonalds, looks like a beacon of light.

I agree obesity is an issue but this obsession with diet is missing the point: it`s the lack of exercise through physical work/or play which is the problem. Steve Nicol of Liverpool used to exist on Mars Bars and booze allegedly.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sat 25 Sep 13:40

Aye, Ronaldo does the same...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Sun 26 Sep 10:35

Actually eat a McDonald’s and you will be hungry quicker than with wholesome balanced meals. I only care about McDonalds users when they throw their rubbish out the cars. Cycling around the country is sad when you see the quantity of road debris.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 26 Sep 17:30

When I was young and people were slim we didn't have all these purveyors of poor quality food. At most there were a few chip shops and the very occasional Wimpy. By giving these fat food outlets planning permission the councils have encouraged the nation to be obese and unhealthy.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Sep 09:53

People were more active too. If you look at a 70s diet it was pretty awful, but people walked a lot more, climbed stairs, manually did things etc.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 28 Sep 15:55

Not to worry, only those with a passport to show they are healthy will be allowed into McDonald's to get fat soon🤣🤣👊

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net