DAFC.net
Home 19 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hello Fresh alternative
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 10 Oct 19:16

Does anyone know if there is a local equivalent?

We like to use Hello Fresh 2-3 times a week as something different and to help us avoid being lazy an ordering a takeaway. But I had a look and was quite surprised to see all the food comes from a depot outside Oxford. Quite some distance! I realise all out food goes around the country but it got me wondering if there was a more local solution.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hello Fresh alternative
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 10 Oct 20:02

Grow your own maybe jake ?

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Oct 21:09

I have in the past. The garden isn't suitable for a veg patch and the titles deeds specifically state no live poultry (not even joking!).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 10 Oct 21:40

Bit of a misnomer when it's being dispatched from Oxfordshire. Far better getting some produce from local farm shops. Even getting your fruit, veg and meat from ALDI would be better.
Never quite understood people getting things from companies like Hello Fresh, seems as though you pay through the nose for something you can source yourself locally, cheaper and better
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 10 Oct 21:56

We use Hello fresh the odd time and it is really good for people who either can't really cook or end to throwing lots of stuff out. Often because a lot of the stuff you add only comes with the little amount you need as opposed to a whole jar.

Also is actually pretty good value plus you save a fortune not going to the shops and adding lots of stuff you don't need to your basket
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JnrB  
Date:   Sun 10 Oct 22:08

One of their reps came to our house and my wife was interested so signed up for a free trial. They sent us 4 meals and charged us, couple of the meals weren’t what we would order either. The company were good and sorted it out easily and quickly and we got the meals for free.

I do a lot of home cooking and the hello fresh stuff was a good 4-5 times more expensive than if we just got the produce ourself, I was pretty surprised at the mark up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 08:27

Thats a shame jake .. there is something special about picking and eating your own home grown stuff .. I just make do with large buckets for tomato`s .. potato`s .. carrots etc and have a cold frame for lettuce and coriander

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 11:23

Benarty fruits were delivering boxes of fresh veg etc.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: JnrB  
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 13:48

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 11 Oct 08:27

Thats a shame jake .. there is something special about picking and eating your own home grown stuff .. I just make do with large buckets for tomato`s .. potato`s .. carrots etc and have a cold frame for lettuce and coriander

100% agree. This year was the first year I have grown my own stuff and it’s very rewarding. The kids are now complaining that carrots from the shop are rubbish.

Learned a lot for getting a better yield next year and need to expand my patch.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 18:41

Actually inspired me to get some planters to grow veg in. Probably need to wait until next spring to do it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 19:28

It is so therapeutic jake .. snails and slugs were my worst problem .. but you can sprinkle coffee grounds or sharp sand on your grow bags and planters .. they don`t like the grit feel so they stay away .. I have a greenhouse so I can start stuff earlier than outdoors

Post Edited (Mon 11 Oct 19:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 20:05

I recall from the last time I did it that the slugs loved my radishes best. Little gits!

I'll definitely do potatoes in pots or bags. The previous owner here did them in a corner and it took ages to ensure they were all gone!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 21:43

There's no point growing spuds as they're so cheap to buy... If you're going to grow stuff then make it stuff that's a bit more expensive, eg new potatoes are better value to grow
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 11 Oct 21:46

Quote:

jake89, Mon 11 Oct 18:41

Actually inspired me to get some planters to grow veg in. Probably need to wait until next spring to do it.

Yes, good idea, you don't need a lot of space to do it, surprising what you can get out of a few planters. It's quite rewarding when you reap the benefits of your own harvest. Amazing how much better it all tastes too
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 12 Oct 10:16

Can I ring ye up for an order BusPassPar? Mair importantly, do ye deliver 😂

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Oct 11:38

Hahaha that made me smile buffy .. Had some braw tatties and ingins plus tomato cucumber and lettuce this year .. I will grow extra next year jist for you ..Hope you and yer Mither are well .. x

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net