DAFC.net
Home 16 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 New Zealand to effectively outlaw smoking.
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 13:30

New Zealand are planning to raise the age you can buy cigarettes by one year on an annual basis.
This means anyone born after 2008 will never be able to legally purchase them.

I think this is a fantastic idea. It stops future generations becoming addicted while at the same time not punishing those who already smoke.

https://www.iflscience.com/policy/new-zealand-to-outlaw-smoking-for-all-future-adults/
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: New Zealand to effectively outlaw smoking.
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 15:32

All very puritanical. The Holy Willies will be congratulating themselves on their good works no doubt.

In practice it will simply relocate nicotine from being a legal to an illegal drug. That will bring the price of cigarettes down and make them a more attractive option. If lack of access to a drug stopped teenagers becoming addicted then the drug dealers would have gone bankrupt years ago.

And how is NZ going to replace the tax deficit? Cigarettes are highly taxed and an easy revenue stream for a government. I imagine claims will be made about saving money on healthcare in the long term but that doesn’t fill the gap in tax revenue right now.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 16:16

Great idea… it’s essentially self harm and it’s not like if you do it in moderation it’s not bad for you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 16:33

Prohibition has negative effects - for example, the Volstead Act 1920 didn’t work out too well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 16:40

I await the inevitable rise in dodgy cigarette sales.

Are tobacco sales not dropping anyway? Kids these days seem less likely to take up smoking and there`s no adverts anymore. You can`t even see them in the shop. Vaping seems more the thing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 16:53

At an average price of roughly £18 a packet i`m surprised anybody in New Zealand can afford to smoke.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 18:02

My daughter just made me laugh about this.
She said imagine in 70 years time some 83 year old will be hanging about outside the newsagents hoping for anyone older to come along and go. "Hey pal, any chance you can get me a packet of fags when your in there."

Post Edited (Fri 10 Dec 01:58)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 19:30

I`ve never smoked a cigarette in my life, and as someone whose father died of smoking related disease, I am actually (perhaps surprisingly) strongly against this decision.
Its basically depriving adults of the choice to make their own decisions.
Fair enough, ban smoking in public places, around others, but what is the problem will letting smokers smoke, if they aren`t harming others?
Give it 10 years and we will only be doing what we are told by the Government, be queuing up to get our weekly covid jab, working our 70 hour week in our home office, and clapping for Boris and the NHS at our front doors at 8pm every Thursday, which will be the only time we are allowed out
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: BoAPar  
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 20:12

Smoking among teenagers here has already come down to something tiny like 3% (from something like 15% a decade ago), so the existing measures in place were already working.

The problem is that the rate was falling at a much slower level for non-european New Zealanders, so rather than introduce some further measures and more support/health education, they`ll just ban it.

They`ll get to the target a bit quicker, but using really bad policy to do it, which will have serious unintended consequences (convictions against Māori and Pacific people for minor offences tend to be much higher, this will make that worse. Also, black marketering is already through the roof).

No sign of alcohol being banned though, despite the fact that it is a far bigger social harm issue here than tobacco.

--------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 9 Dec 20:23

Topic Originator: sadindiefreak like | nolike
Date: Thu 9 Dec 18:02

She said imagine in 70 years time some 83 year old will be hanging about outside the newsagents hoping for anyone older to come along and go. "Hey pal, any chance you can get me a packet of flags when your in there."

Superb

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Dec 02:00

Quote:

Buspasspar, Thu 9 Dec 20:23

Topic Originator: sadindiefreak like | nolike
Date: Thu 9 Dec 18:02

She said imagine in 70 years time some 83 year old will be hanging about outside the newsagents hoping for anyone older to come along and go. "Hey pal, any chance you can get me a packet of flags when your in there."

Superb

Autocorrect had changed fags to flags. Edited original. Oops.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 10 Dec 02:33

Quote:

sammer, Thu 09 Dec 15:32

All very puritanical. The Holy Willies will be congratulating themselves on their good works no doubt.

In practice it will simply relocate nicotine from being a legal to an illegal drug. That will bring the price of cigarettes down and make them a more attractive option. If lack of access to a drug stopped teenagers becoming addicted then the drug dealers would have gone bankrupt years ago.

And how is NZ going to replace the tax deficit? Cigarettes are highly taxed and an easy revenue stream for a government. I imagine claims will be made about saving money on healthcare in the long term but that doesn’t fill the gap in tax revenue right now.

Awright boomer - I’m sure loads of youngsters will be going yeah fags are awesome, can’t wait to try them on the black market when that very demographic is falling to negligible amounts anyway. Plus if you’re going black market, why nicotine over something that gives more of an instant hit - even hash is more appealing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sat 11 Dec 14:09

Given the relentless grind of the world sometimes, I totally understand why folk turn to drugs. Taking up smoking in 2021 is just idiotic though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sun 12 Dec 12:08

What are you after, Rusty?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 12 Dec 22:14

There`s a guy in NZ who has stood in for people not wanted to be vaccinated. They reckon he`s been vaccinated 10 times. Assuming he now has super-powers, he will be the go-to guy for the "kids" of the future to get their smokes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 12 Dec 23:01

Quote:

jake89, Sun 12 Dec 22:14

There`s a guy in NZ who has stood in for people not wanted to be vaccinated. They reckon he`s been vaccinated 10 times. Assuming he now has super-powers, he will be the go-to guy for the "kids" of the future to get their smokes.

Someone was telling me about a guy at his work who got a stand in to take the jab for him. Think it`s not unusual
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net