DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 "Woke"
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 9 Jun 19:32

What in easy English is "Woke"?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: "Woke"
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Thu 9 Jun 20:03

Think it originates from “woken”, as in thinking and “sensitive” to subtle, non black and white issues. Odd that it’s a pejorative word, often bandied about by galoots, and when encountered generally signals the end of any hope of a decent, adult discussion about the topic at hand.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Thu 9 Jun 21:07

We
Oppose
Kunting
Everything

Wee
Obnoxious
Knob-head
Environmentalists

Warriors
Of
Keyboard
Everywhere

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 01:07

How did I know this was going to get out of hand? Lets try it in plain gobbledegook now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 10:22

It’s a way of looking at every issue in terms of oppressors and victims. Your status as oppressor or victim is based on some unchangeable characteristics like race or sex rather than your situation. So a white homeless man would still be considered ‘privileged’. See also ‘Social Justice Warrior’ and ‘Identity Politics’.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 11:57

To me my tagline sums up my thoughts on woke culture.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 12:30

lol, i guess it means different things to everyone!

This is my signature

Post Edited (Fri 10 Jun 12:31)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 14:15

Quote:

Tad Allagash, Fri 10 Jun 10:22

It’s a way of looking at every issue in terms of oppressors and victims. Your status as oppressor or victim is based on some unchangeable characteristics like race or sex rather than your situation. So a white homeless man would still be considered ‘privileged’. See also ‘Social Justice Warrior’ and ‘Identity Politics’.

This is, of course, demonstrably untrue.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 15:58

Rusty Shackleford wrote:

>
Quote:

Tad Allagash, Fri 10 Jun 10:22
>
> It’s a way of looking at every issue in terms of oppressors
> and victims. Your status as oppressor or victim is based on
> some unchangeable characteristics like race or sex rather than
> your situation. So a white homeless man would still be
> considered ‘privileged’. See also ‘Social Justice
> Warrior’ and ‘Identity Politics’.

>
> This is, of course, demonstrably untrue.

Which bit is untrue? My definition? Or wokeness itself?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 16:44

Woke? Well, now let me see. You know, I don`t have any idea what that means.I know what you think it means, sonny. To me, it`s just a made up word. A politician`s word, so young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie, and have a job. Woke? It`s just a bulls**t word. So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don`t give two hoots.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 16:54

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 10 Jun 16:44

Woke? Well, now let me see. You know, I don`t have any idea what that means.I know what you think it means, sonny. To me, it`s just a made up word. A politician`s word, so young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie, and have a job. Woke? It`s just a bulls**t word. So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don`t give two hoots.

APPROVED
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 17:24

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 10 Jun 16:44

Lol. My sentiments exactly. It seems to be a political nonsense word.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 17:31

The simple dictionary definition: “alert to injustice in society, especially racism.”

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 17:37

`Woke` is a pejorative term, designed to offend the recipient, and used by people I probably wouldn`t want to go for a pint with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 21:58

So its a provocative word used by asssoles to insult those who draw attention to social injustice.
Pretty much what I am seeing right enough. Particularly in the Gruesome Old Party Trumpists.

Post Edited (Fri 10 Jun 21:59)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 22:18

Pretty much how I see it, Parrot. Generally the word “snowflake” is also bandied about with “woke”.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 22:21

Exactly. It`s generally a word usually used by people who have lost arguments. Very tedious.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jun 23:00

You need to be sensitive to ALL injustices though.

Woke football teams ‘taking the knee’ to ‘highlight injustice’ but still happy to travel to the World Cup in Qatar, made possible by slaves, and where they have the death penalty for being gay.

Not to mention the blind spot when it comes to anti-semitism that seems to be a feature of the woke movement.

Stand up for civil rights, but be consistent.

Like most things, it gets ruined by poseurs jumping on the bandwagon.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 11 Jun 11:31

Quote:

Tad Allagash, Fri 10 Jun 23:00

You need to be sensitive to ALL injustices though.

Woke football teams ‘taking the knee’ to ‘highlight injustice’ but still happy to travel to the World Cup in Qatar, made possible by slaves, and where they have the death penalty for being gay.

Not to mention the blind spot when it comes to anti-semitism that seems to be a feature of the woke movement.

Stand up for civil rights, but be consistent.

Like most things, it gets ruined by poseurs jumping on the bandwagon.

Better to be sensitive to some than none right enough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Sun 12 Jun 18:02

Woke is also the investment company I work for that has a rainbow twitter avatar, rainbow LinkedIn, rainbow everything, a director role created for diversity, lots of `educational` meeting and worker groups......yet billions of pounds invested in Chinese and Middle East companies and property where the `wrong` religion or sexual preference can get you jailed.

And the knots they are trying themselves in over gender pay gap is unbelievable.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Mon 13 Jun 06:25

I don`t notice a lot of actual antisemitism on the left (the usual recipients of the tag "woke.")

There is a lot of anti-israeli sentiment right enough, but that`s a completely different animal, given how it is equally difficult to be a consistent advocate for social justice whilst ignoring Israeli atrocities as it is to do so whilst ignoring Saudi, Syrian, Afghani, Russian or British atrocities.

The position that any criticism of Israel undermines its existence and is therefore antisemitism is so clearly nonsense to anyone paying attention that it simply isn`t relevant to their thinking.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
 Re:
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 13 Jun 07:13

"Topic Originator: doctordandruff like
Date: Sun 12 Jun 18:02

Woke is also the investment company I work for that has a rainbow twitter avatar, rainbow LinkedIn, rainbow everything, a director role created for diversity, lots of `educational` meeting and worker groups......yet billions of pounds invested in Chinese and Middle East companies and property where the `wrong` religion or sexual preference can get you jailed.

And the knots they are trying themselves in over gender pay gap is unbelievable."

That reminds me a bit of this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/FR4rHPpoPHQ

edited to say that I agree about Chinese and Middle East companies and saying one thing but not following that through with your investments/spending.
for example, I was hosting a work call yesterday which highlighted the difference. I had lots of people from Thailand and Middle East on the call and at the start when we`re having a general chat etc, they were showing on camera all the stuff they had done in the office for pride month (which the company I`m assigned to supports), yet when asked, the Middle East folk were like, nothing here, business as usual only.
just a little flippant example really but actually brought it home to me

Post Edited (Mon 13 Jun 09:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Mon 13 Jun 08:41

Call me an old git
But “woke” to me
Is a yawn a fart
a trickle of pee

a sign of old age
one might say
But rain or shine
same every day

so what if the world
seems going to pot
still better to wake
than to not!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Jun 09:23

Quote:

Parboiled, Mon 13 Jun 08:41

Call me an old git
But “woke” to me
Is a yawn a fart
a trickle of pee

a sign of old age
one might say
But rain or shine
same every day

so what if the world
seems going to pot
still better to wake
than to not!

Excellent.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ormiston_Par  
Date:   Thu 14 Jul 14:40

"Woke" is a derogatory term used primarily by those of a right-wing, narrow-minded persuasion who cannot deal with the experience of having their opinion challenged. It is most often aimed at people on the opposing side of the political spectrum.

Essentially it serves as a convenient way in which to dismiss someone`s point of view, or to paint those who openly display qualities such as compassion and empathy in an unfavourable light. Someone doesn`t agree with your outdated views on immigration or LGBTQ rights? No need to formulate a credible argument as to why your views are valid and have merit - just accuse them of being "woke" and move on.

I think that just about covers it.

The artist formerly known as KGB / Slim Hoolie
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Jul 21:42

Quote:

Ormiston_Par, Thu 14 Jul 14:40

"Woke" is a derogatory term used primarily by those of a right-wing, narrow-minded persuasion who cannot deal with the experience of having their opinion challenged. It is most often aimed at people on the opposing side of the political spectrum.

Essentially it serves as a convenient way in which to dismiss someone`s point of view, or to paint those who openly display qualities such as compassion and empathy in an unfavourable light. Someone doesn`t agree with your outdated views on immigration or LGBTQ rights? No need to formulate a credible argument as to why your views are valid and have merit - just accuse them of being "woke" and move on.

I think that just about covers it.

👏👏👏

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Jul 23:55

It’s all about context though.

‘Falkirk fan’ is a derogatory term on this forum but not on others.

You’ve used ‘right-wing’ as a derogatory term and coupled it with ‘narrow-minded’.

And if someone discovers this forum in 100 years’ time, all our views are going to be ‘outdated’, even though we take it for granted that our current views are right.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ormiston_Par  
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 13:16

‘Falkirk fan’ is a derogatory term on this forum but not on others.

No it isn`t. It`s the term we use to describe people who support Falkirk.

You’ve used ‘right-wing’ as a derogatory term

No I haven`t. I`ve used it to describe people who hold right-wing political views.

and coupled it with ‘narrow-minded’

That part at least, you`ve got correct. However, although I`m using "narrow minded" in a derogatory context, I`m using it to refer to a sub-set of people who hold right-wing political beliefs. I am absolutely not suggesting that every right-winger is narrow minded.

The artist formerly known as KGB / Slim Hoolie
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Fri 15 Jul 20:49

I know plenty left of centre people who use the term `woke`, many as an insult and many simply as it is the noun most people use to describe anyone on the `pro` side of the LGBT/Lived Experience/White privilege `debate`.

Read an interesting comment recently about why this question gets asked a lot when everyone knows what it means. The suggestion is that it`s done to normalise `wokeness`, as in its not a position that people take. It is the default. I think there is merit in that.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net