DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Is this common knowledge
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 13:41

I`m having a debate online and the other person is claiming almost everyone knows about The Holodomor.

I disagree.
I`m just interested if folk on here know of it.

And are you generally political or not, to see if its limited to those politically engaged who know of it. Or am I wrong and it is common knowledge.

If you do know of it did you know for a long time or just in recent history.

Cheers in advance for any replies.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Is this common knowledge
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 16:30

Not particularly political but keep reasonably up to date. Was not aware.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 17:07

I am sure there is a remembrance day for Holodomor around November .. will google and check

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 17:34

Wasn`t aware of it until the conflict kicked off and I seen it mentioned.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 19:27

I hadn`t heard of it. Now that I have, it would seem to be one of the reasons that explain why many Ukranians are fiercely independent and anti-Russian.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Holodomor

(I`d say I`m only a wee bit above average politically engaged, mainly via British TV News, documentaries, Newsnight, Al Jazeera etc.)

Post Edited (Mon 11 Jul 19:31)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 21:04

Is that the mute character in Game of Thrones?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 21:11

A summary of Russian history:

"and then it got worse"

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 11 Jul 22:10

The name rings a bell and I knew about the famine but I would have struggled to put the two together.

I`d say it`s not very well known at all, a bit like the USSR`s deportation of over a million and a half Poles to Siberia after they invaded in 1939. Most didn`t survive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 12 Jul 10:51

I don’t think the Holodomor is well known in the west. If you’ve read some Slavic or political history you will have come across it but I wouldn’t say it’s part of our collective historical knowledge. The same goes for the Bengal famine of 1943 and the more recent Chinese famine of the late 1950s. The Irish famine of the 1840s is fairly well known in Scotland but that knowledge may spring from the sectarian rivalry that exists between Celtic and Rangers.

There are endless books written about wars but not so many about famine as a specific subject. Any knowledge most of us have regarding historical famines is probably a by- product of political or military history.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 13 Jul 09:58

"The Irish famine of the 1840s is fairly well known in Scotland but that knowledge may spring from the sectarian rivalry that exists between Celtic and Rangers."

Or the fact that most Catholic Irish who emigrated to Britain or the USA did so as a direct result of the famine.

I`d never heard of the word Holodomor previously - but knew that Stalin`s regime used famine as a weapon.

Post Edited (Wed 13 Jul 19:35)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net