DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Jim
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 08:24

Big Jim on breakfast tv
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Jim
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 10:07

Will he be meeting the King? If so, that`s another item ticked off on Charlie`s bucket list.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 11:23

Charlie performing his first bow as he meets Provost Leishman.

Must be odd having the new king of the UK walking round buildings associated with the Kings of Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 12:34

Loud boos for Jim when Sturgeon joins in…

And Jake the crowns were United in 1603 so it doesn’t seem odd at all. The novelty has worn off now!

Post Edited (Mon 03 Oct 12:49)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 14:59

There was one guy who booed.

Interesting handshake by Big Leish 😬

The kings in Dunfermline were of Scotland (pre-union).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gwh18  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 15:23

Wondered if the former Duke of Rothesay knew he alighted his car, where someone got lamped by a dog bowl a couple of weeks ago ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gwh18  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 15:23

Wondered if the former Duke of Rothesay knew he alighted his car, where someone got lamped by a dog bowl a couple of weeks ago ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 19:17

That’ll give Jim’s ever expanding ego another boost!

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 20:48

It`ll give him more sportsman dinners material.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 21:10

Leish,is one of these guys ,that you can`t help laughing, every time you meet him !🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 21:26

Quote:

jake89, Mon 3 Oct 11:23

Charlie performing his first bow as he meets Provost Leishman.

Must be odd having the new king of the UK walking round buildings associated with the Kings of Scotland.

Pedant notice - King(s)of Scots.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 22:10

Quote:

ParfectXI, Mon 3 Oct 19:17

That’ll give Jim’s ever expanding ego another boost!

Bore off

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 09:08

Jake, my point was it isn’t odd for post Union ( 1603 Crowns 1707 Parliaments) monarchs to be wandering around sites associated with pre Union(s)Scots monarchs all over Scotland
I assume this isn’t the first occasion the Auld Grey Toun has been so honoured over the centuries?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 09:30

Didn`t Lizzie open some play park in the Glen?

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 10:04

Quote:

EastEndTales, Tue 4 Oct 09:30

Didn`t Lizzie open some play park in the Glen?

She did, but I don`t think they then took her up to see the original kings and queens of Scotland.

Must just be me that found it a tad odd.

I`m interested in numbers who turned up. Some suggesting "thousands" but didn`t look much more than a few hundred to me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 14:35

“I`m interested in numbers who turned up. Some suggesting "thousands" but didn`t look much more than a few hundred to me.”

As Saint Nic was also in town I think they use the same machine that counts the people at Independence marches.

They said on the news that QE2 was also in the Abby 50 years before to celebrate the 900th anniversary, so presumably she was shown the old kings also.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 15:21

Many of those old Kings of Scots/Scotland were direct ancestors of Charles lll, so there`s nothing very surprising in his expressing an interest in them.

What might have been more sensitive would have been showing Charles lll the old Palace where Charles I was born, given that he was the last British monarch to be born in Scotland and rather lost his head after going to England ...

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 16:19

Quote:

Stanza, Tue 4 Oct 15:21

Many of those old Kings of Scots/Scotland were direct ancestors of Charles lll, so there`s nothing very surprising in his expressing an interest in them.

What might have been more sensitive would have been showing Charles lll the old Palace where Charles I was born, given that he was the last British monarch to be born in Scotland and rather lost his head after going to England ...

Thanks for clarifying.

Seems Jim`s getting the blame for the booking yesterday. A lot of self-proclaimed in the know Fifers telling Jeremy Vine that people were booing Jim as he`s not liked in Dunfermline. What planet do these idiots live on?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 19:51

“Jim’s getting the blame for the booking”

That takes me back!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 20:47

Damned autocorrect! "Booing"!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 22:15

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Mon 3 Oct 20:48

It`ll give him more sportsman dinners material.

Fank thuk. He could use new material.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 22:17

Quote:

Stanza, Tue 4 Oct 15:21

I think all of them were.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 22:18

Charles,dinnae score at ibrox !🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Wed 5 Oct 04:15

Ref: Stanza
Tue 4 Oct 15:21

Quote:

Many of those old Kings of Scots/Scotland were direct ancestors of Charles lll...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Direct ancestors of Charles III?

Kings buried in Dunfermline:

Malcom 3rd (Canmore), Duncan 2nd, Edgar, Alexander 1st, David 1st, Malcom 4th, Robert 1st (the Bruce) (1)

I had wondered if the descent might be completely broken by the different royal families, or by a bit of `bumping off` in the old days of barons and nobles, when they were always bashin` each other with this sort of thing:

After a bit of swotting, I think he is probably connected, but not `directly` in the sense of straight down the male line - sometimes it went via a brother, daughter, or backwards to a grandad (2.) I`m not sure that going backwards to a grandad counts as direct, because it seems to be the same situation as the late QE II:

"Queen Elizabeth II is related to Queen Elizabeth I through a common ancestor: King Henry VII`[grandad of Eliz I.] `That means that Queen Elizabeth II is the first cousin of Elizabeth I, either 13 or 14 times removed, depending on whom you ask."

Well that`s about as clear as six feet o` snow!

(1) https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/15451222.find-out-about-the-kings-and-queens-buried-in-dunfermline/

(2) Scottish Monarchs family tree: https://youtu.be/zaC_J-FNZKY?t=452

(3) https://homework.study.com/explanation/how-is-queen-elizabeth-ii-related-to-queen-elizabeth-i.html

Post Edited (Wed 05 Oct 16:25)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Wed 5 Oct 15:24

I have read that British monarchs can trace their ancestry back to Alfred the Great (871 AD) (1)

Impressed?

Something`s telling me it`s not quite as impressive as it seems.

Google: How many people are descended from Alfred the Great?

`About two billion.` (2)

Quote: `In 2013, geneticists Peter Ralph and Graham Coop showed that all Europeans are descended from exactly the same people. Basically, everyone alive in the ninth century who left descendants is the ancestor of every living European today`(3)*

The article seems to say there`s nothing special about being a descendent of Alfred the Great, it`s very common. It doesn`t however mean that all the descendants have any of his DNA. The genes can be diluted out of the bloodline.

*(Note: this quote puzzles me. Are there not some Europeans who don`t fit this, e.g. British descendents of non-European immigrants?)

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_tree_of_British_monarchs

(2) https://www.quora.com/Are-there-any-known-descendants-of-Alfred-the-Great

(3) https://www.theguardian.com/science/commentisfree/2015/may/24/business-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford

Post Edited (Wed 05 Oct 16:28)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net