DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Douglas Ross
Topic Originator: Ormiston_Par  
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 16:28

Running the line at Montrose tomorrow - sadly I can't make it but hopefully those that do will give it to Mr Ross tighter than a nun`s chuff....

The artist formerly known as KGB / Slim Hoolie

Post Edited (Fri 21 Oct 16:30)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Douglas Ross
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 17:00

A tory and an assistant ref...I imagine he spends his free time volunteering as a traffic warden, pulling the legs off daddy long legs or clubbing baby seals to death.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 17:43

Will he stick to his first decision...or will he reserve the right to change his mind?

PS - You might get a better response on the Football or Politics Forum.

Post Edited (Fri 21 Oct 17:55)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 21:44

Quote:

Jeffery, Fri 21 Oct 17:00

A tory and an assistant ref...I imagine he spends his free time volunteering as a traffic warden, pulling the legs off daddy long legs or clubbing baby seals to death.

šŸ˜‚

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 22:32

PS - You might get a better response on the Football or Politics Forum.

I actually meant to post this on the Football forum.

In retrospect, calling for the leader of the Scottish Tories to be mercilessly abused while he runs the line possibly isn`t football or political chat of the highest brow. Probably better off on the Off Topic forum :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 08:52

Verbal abuse will be water off a duckā€™s back in his case.

Hopefully nothing worse.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 09:30

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 22 Oct 08:52

Hopefully nothing worse.

Hopefully our guys will come up with suitable banter rather than the easy way out with name calling.
I`m fairly certain comments about u-turns and who`s in charge will be used by our higher brow fan base.......
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 10:21

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 22 Oct 08:52

Hopefully nothing worse.

Off a rats back, surely!

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 10:30

Yeah. Not the cleverest idea to be encouraging verbal abuse and intimidation just because he has certain political leanings, surely?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 10:41

Aren`t people`s freely made moral and ethical choices an excellent thing to critique?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 11:14

Yeah. Not the cleverest idea to be encouraging verbal abuse and intimidation just because he has certain political leanings, surely?

Oh f**k off :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 11:28

Quote:

Jeffery, Fri 21 Oct 17:00

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 13:15

Quote:

Wotsit, Sat 22 Oct 10:41

Aren`t people`s freely made moral and ethical choices an excellent thing to critique?

Yeah of course they are! Define "critique" for the sake of argument.

I'm no Tory voter - I just don't want any unnecessary bother for the club, especially after the last few incidents in the NW.

Post Edited (Sat 22 Oct 13:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 13:49

Jocky Scott should be able to let them know who`s in charge.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 14:44

Hopefully our fans donā€™t embarrass themselves today. Politics can be decisive but itā€™s based on peopleā€™s beliefs and options and this should be respected
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 18:56

Politics can be decisive

I think you mean "divisive"?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 18:58

Quote:

Ormiston_Par, Sat 22 Oct 18:56

Politics can be decisive

Clearly. Auto correct on handset
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 19:22

Quote:

JamesAndrew74, Sat 22 Oct 18:58

Quote:

Ormiston_Par, Sat 22 Oct 18:56

Politics can be decisive

Clearly. Auto correct on handset

Or perhaps meant "indecisive". Douglas Ross gives off the impression he doesn`t know if he is going for a shlt or a haircut
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 19:57

As long as his barber is aware, there shouldnā€™t be a problem !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 23:30

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 22 Oct 13:15

Quote:

I`m no Tory voter - I just don`t want any unnecessary bother for the club, especially after the last few incidents in the NW.

Do you really think we`ll be any worse than any other fans that have him in front of them?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 08:22

Quote:

DBA, Sat 22 Oct 23:30

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 22 Oct 13:15

Quote:

I`m no Tory voter - I just don`t want any unnecessary bother for the club, especially after the last few incidents in the NW.

Do you really think we`ll be any worse than any other fans that have him in front of them?

Fair point. Let`s all be as bad as each other.

Or we could try and be better

Post Edited (Sun 23 Oct 09:58)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 13:56

Full disclosure: Way back in the mists of time I voted for a Conservative, on personal acquaintance grounds (Teddy Taylor in Glasgow Cathcart, for those with long memories.) But not since, so please don`t take this as an apologia for either Douglas Ross or the Conservatives.

This is a guy who doesn`t need the money but obviously loves football enough to spend his Saturday afternoons ensuring that matches take place - without referees and linesmen there would be no football.

To do that, he has to spend 90 minutes with his back to people hurling vile comments (plenty of F and C words) at him because of his political beliefs. Nobody is trying to debate economic theory, they are simply being personally abusive in a way that would not be permitted in the street or in anyone else`s place of work.

It`s highly unlikely that Ross is going to listen to the abuse and suddenly have an epiphany that he really is a f...... Tory c... and should apply to join the Labour Party (or the SNP or LibDems). Human nature being what it is, he is far more likely to double down on his beliefs - and if anything, he might be subliminally motivated to give a marginal decision against the team supported by his abusers.

Fortunately Ross seems to be a pretty good linesman, and I don`t think there were any of his decisions yesterday that were blatantly wrong. But if there had been, there was a risk that someone (it only takes one impressionable person) could have been encouraged by the verbals being directed at Ross to take matters further. Thoughts lead to words, and words lead to actions.

To me it`s simple - criticism and banter are fine, personal abuse is not. Play the ball, not the man

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 14:15

I can`t understand why anyone would want to be a linesman. Mad, mad job whwre everyone hates you no matter what and you`re not even the referee so your name will be forgotten quickly.

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 15:48

I`ve no time for his politics but think that for the duration of a football match we should suspend hostilities and unite in our love of the game. He has officiated at a much higher level than Scottish League 1 and it says a lot for him that he`s happy to continue his career at games like Saturday`s. Mind you I was always worried he would put his flag up then change his mind and put it down...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 16:07

Good Post Stanza

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 19:30

What I struggle to get my head around is how he has time to be an MSP and MP - and to officiate at games ?

I would have thought one job in politics would have been more than enough.

OK - Alex Salmond did the dual mandate gig as well, but two wrongs don`t make a right.

At least Douglas Ross hasn`t swanned off from his MSP responsibilities on a personal self publicity mission like that creature Kezia Dugdale - that was having a laugh.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 20:11

Quote:

veteraneastender, Mon 24 Oct 19:30

What I struggle to get my head around is how he has time to be an MSP and MP - and to officiate at games ?

I would have thought one job in politics would have been more than enough.

OK - Alex Salmond did the dual mandate gig as well, but two wrongs don`t make a right.

At least Douglas Ross hasn`t swanned off from his MSP responsibilities on a personal self publicity mission like that creature Kezia Dugdale - that was having a laugh.

Most of us work full time plus extra tome and still find time for our hobbies. He would be taking the same amount of time to watch the match if he was just a fan

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 20:44

Nah, sorry. He doesn`t stop being a Tory at 3pm on a Saturday.

In his head he`s still plotting for ways to make the poor poor, the rich richer and to ensure Scotland is subservient.

But, no don`t you call him nasty names...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 16:59

DRoss`s lack of political nous was evident at FMQs today where he decided the pressing issue of the day was that Scotland would be required to adopt the euro if it applied to join the EU. This assumes that there will be an independence referendum, that the electorate will vote for independence and that in due course Scotland will apply to join the EU. Raising the issue now suggests he thinks there is a reasonable chance of these three things happening. So what message is he trying to send to Scottish voters and how can he accuse the Scottish government of wasting time and money pursuing independence during a national crisis when he thinks this is the main issue he should raise at FMQs? Did none of his advisers point out the irony of this line of questioning?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 17:47

Not really, what he`s highlighting is a hole in SNP thinking. He`s basically trying to dissuade people from going independent by highlighting the issue of currency.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 18:04

The issue of currency is beyond Dougie unfortunately jake .. as explained and confirmed many times
Its back to the old Tory scare tactics .. you wont be able to keep the pound Whoooo Whoooo

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 18:06

Only 19 of the 27 country`s that make up the EU use the Euro. More scaremongering from Dross. The last country to join was Croatia in 2013. They use the Croatian Kuna.

Post Edited (Thu 27 Oct 18:26)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 19:04

DRoss came back saying the countries which didn`t use the euro were irrelevant as they were already in the EU whereas Scotland would be applying to join. This seemed to ignore the point that they could not have been using the euro when they applied!

I must say the standard of the Opposition at Holyrood is absolutely woeful. Both Ross and Sarwar simply read from a script and are easily wrong-footed by Sturgeon. Just about every time Sarwar leads on hospital waiting times, quoting yet more stats from a FOI request. At least three times today Sturgeon invited him to put forward constructive suggestions to improve things. He just ignored her and kept to his script.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 20:20

Yes, but all he has to do is sow that seed of doubt and then the Telegraph readers sat in their 5 bedroom detached they bought in 1985 for 50p will vote against it in case it affects their pension they don`t even need because they were mortgage free in their 50s.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 20:35

If they are Telegraph readers they won`t have any seeds of doubt.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 20:45

jake these nonsense comments are not for the Tory faithful .. they are for you and me and folk of our ilk .. who they try and confuse .. and surprise surprise it works on many

There is more imminent danger to their pension under the present regime

Being mortgage free does not necessarily mean you don`t depend on a pension

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 20:50

If they are Telegraph readers they have a portfolio of properties and change from a fiver

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 20:51

He`s running the line on Saturday again when we play Kelty Rangers :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 20:53

Busspasser will no doubt assure us that post Indy his state pension will continue to be paid from a foreign country

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 21:28

How do ex-pats in Spain, France etc get their UK pensions paid? Presumably they still get them now we`re out of the EU.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 21:49

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 27 Oct 21:28

How do ex-pats in Spain, France etc get their UK pensions paid? Presumably they still get them now we`re out of the EU.

Their pensions are still paid, including any annual increases.

There are some British citizens receiving their original state pension with no increases being applied. This covers a handful of countries and has been subject to a campaign to change the rules relating to the particular countries.

I believe Canada is one of them.

Post Edited (Thu 27 Oct 21:50)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 22:04

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/nov/06/frozen-pensions-britons-living-overseas-hit-by-soaring-inflation#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16669043865708&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fmoney%2F2021%2Fnov%2F06%2Ffrozen-pensions-britons-living-overseas-hit-by-soaring-inflation
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 22:08

"DRoss" - terrible banter Eck. You`re better than that surely?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 22:44

Pretty mild I thought!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 23:17

"Nobody is trying to debate economic theory, they are simply being personally abusive in a way that would not be permitted in the street or in anyone else`s place of work."

That`s not entirely true. At Montrose, there was plenty of what you describe, but there were other comments too. I asked loudly why he or anyone would vote against a ban on fracking, as he had done the Wednesday before. I also suggested he had to resign if Boris Johnson became Prime Minister again. Someone else was loudly telling him that there are people who cannot afford to eat because of the kinds of policy he and his party support. There were other comments like this and plenty about changing his mind as well - I think these are all legitimate and not unreasonable. Nor do I feel too bad about shouting that it wasn`t like him not to have a ******* clue at a moment when he and the ref looked at each other and paused before guessing which way to give a shy.

I didn`t have much time for the constant insults some wanted to fire at him and indeed moved away from there at half-time, but the suggestion that it was all like that is not right, and that needs to be said. I don`t really get why he`d want to go through that every week. From his parliamentary expenses he gets Ā£107 plus expenses for a game in this league. For about 4 hours plus travel time, it isn`t that much, and nothing compared to his two parliamentary salaries. Maybe he does just genuinely like football, but I`ve heard many times that MPs and MSPs generally don`t get Saturdays off (this is the time when they`re active in their constituencies) so not relaly sure how he can fit it in, especially when he`s also meant to be a prty leader.

I`m not a fan of `DRoss` either, or any other similarly hilarious wordplay that tries to transform someone`s name into something mildly insulting. Just use his correct name - you don`t lose anyting by doing so.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 23:49

OK, so it`s alright to make political points to him while he`s running the line at a football match but you can`t make a wee joke about his name on social media.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 28 Oct 06:48

You are entitled to use silly names if you like Wee Eck, but others are also allowed to say that they don`t like it.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 28 Oct 09:14

Of course they are.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 28 Oct 12:16

"so it`s alright to make political points to him while he`s running the line at a football match"

I think it is. If you`re a prominent politician (as he is) then your main role is to shape policy and actions based on what you broadly believe in. In a public setting, I think it`s legitimate to be challenged on this. Showing a politician that you`re interested in what`s going on and that you have watched what they, as individuals, have done and voted for, shows that not everyone is completely blind and indifferent to what`s going on. Maybe you take a different view, but I think that`s a good thing that they should know that and be reminded of it.

"...but you can`t make a wee joke about his name on social media"

Obviously you can do so if you wish, but I don`t think we should. You yourself have often criticised another poster here (quite correctly in my view) for cheapening political arguments by using silly names for prominent SNP politicians. Although the name you used is not as insulting, it`s along the same lines. I just don`t like it, sorry.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 28 Oct 13:01

I just think there`s a time and and a place for criticism and I don`t think a football ground, where there is no chance of a dialogue, is appropriate. If I saw him in the street I might approach him and try and engage in a discussion with him on politics but I wouldn`t be shouting across the road at him. Maybe there is still a view that being in a football ground exempts people from the norms of civil behaviour but it`s not something I agree with.

The next time I type his name on here I`ll try and remember to hit the space bar.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Oct 00:54

It`s not civil behaviour to ask a politician, not abusively, why he voted in a particular way or to make other political points?

The point about him not having the chance to reply is a fair one, and not lost on me. However, that is not unique to a question asked in a football ground. It happens at political demonstrations, and it`s become a tradition for journalists to ask similar questions of ministers from across the road in Downing Street. Perhaps these don`t constitute civilised behaviour either?

If a public figure chooses to put himself in that position, that`s up to him. But if some people want to make legitimate political points when he`s there, that`s up to those concerned. It may not be to your taste, but you haven`t come close to convincing me that it`s inappropriate and it is certainly not an example of feeling exempt from normal behaviour by being in a football ground.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Oct 09:13

I just think the guy should be able to enjoy his afternoon at the football like the rest of us. We`ll just have to agree to disagree.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Sat 29 Oct 10:01

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 29 Oct 09:13

I just think the guy should be able to enjoy his afternoon at the football like the rest of us. We`ll just have to agree to disagree.

Yeah, I have to agree. Thereā€™s a time and place to engage in a political discussion, and doing it to someone unilaterally at their place of work, which is unconnected with politics, doesnā€™t really sit right with me!

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Oct 11:17

I`m going to go wayyyyyy out on a limb here and suggest that most of those conversing with him running the line wouldn`t be quite so civil as Socks appears to be......

I could be wrong

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Oct 13:05

Voted against an energy cap previously, against more renewable energy, against taxing banks...I`m sorry, but he deserves everything he gets. Morally corrupt.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Oct 13:31

Quote:

jake89, Sat 29 Oct 13:05

Voted against an energy cap previously, against more renewable energy, against taxing banks...I`m sorry, but he deserves everything he gets. Morally corrupt.

Just to be clear, in my previous post I am in no way defending him or his partyā€™s moral credentials!! Give him both barrels, by all means, but perhaps not when heā€™s concentrating on whether someone is a baw-hair offside :)

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Oct 19:25

I noticed him in conversation with McPake during the second half today but I don`t think they were talking politics.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sat 29 Oct 22:48

Quote:

Totally disagree. It`s not like works in a call centre or in a warehouse. He`s chosen to be a tory, go for leader and support tory policies. He doesn`t get to turn that off by putting on a uniform and waving a flag for a couple of hours. Fair game in my opinion.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sat 29 Oct 22:55

Quote:

I think the guy is a total flower and deserves more than verbal abuse. He and his party are a bunch of horrible wanks. **** the lot of them
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Oct 23:29

He deserves more than verbal abuse? Really?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 30 Oct 06:46

I have no idea what was being implied by the post above, but find it interesting that you went straight to (Iā€™m assuming) something like physical abuseā€¦ whereas I went straight to them all getting their jotters?

So I agree, he does deserve more than verbal. He and all the rest of his mob all deserve to be booted out of both Parliaments, and the sooner the better!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Oct 08:50

Come off it! Saying someone deserves "more than verbal abuse" only means one thing in my opinion.

So in your world they all get the tin tack from parliament. Why? Because you totally disagree with their policies (can't blame you) but surely we need strong viable opposition parties otherwise what are we left with?

Post Edited (Sun 30 Oct 08:53)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 30 Oct 08:51

I find it interesting that you went to `getting his jotters` when like DA I also assumed physical violence would be the next stage from verbal abuse especially in the context of this debate. However I`m sure Saline Puma will be along shortly to explain that he meant what you said DBP.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sun 30 Oct 10:36

I was more going towards he deserves to be put in the shoes of the millions of vulnerable people he and his party have continually screwed over for years and see how he likes it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Oct 11:22

Well I stand corrected šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sun 30 Oct 12:03

I was expecting something like leaving a burning bag of dugshite in a horrific chap and run.

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Oct 13:00

In my world da, they go to the electorate with their track recordā€¦ and we all vote for other people and theyā€™re no longer mps - thatā€™s kinda how the system works!

And yes I donā€™t like their policies and therefore donā€™t want any of them in power as Iā€™d prefer representatives of a political party that has humanity and compassion at its core and who are there to make everyones life better and not just their rich mates!

Maybe they could all jump aboard the planes to Rwanda that his Home Secretary is dreaming about

Post Edited (Sun 30 Oct 13:00)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Oct 14:51

You don`t like their policies. There are others (not me) who must do. Otherwise they wouldn`t have won a general election?

I don`t want to live in a world where I feel pressured into voting for anything or anyone.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Oct 16:21

So what youā€™re saying is that if the tories donā€™t get votes, then their will only be one party in the parliaments?

I think weā€™ve got more than two options on the paper no?

Iā€™d rather the objective of all the parties voted and representing us was generally aligned to helping everyone in the country and the arguments were around how best to do that - unlike the nasty party that Ross and co stands for.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Oct 16:36

The problem in the UK is that most people are pretty ignorant. We all get angry when we hear about all the money people on benefits get or all the immigrants coming in and getting houses over people already here.

We all seem to disregard the blatant tax dodging going on though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Oct 18:10

Referees and linesmen get abuse for all sorts: from their hairline, to their girth, to their parentage, and nobody, to my knowledge, has used this website to air their displeasure about any of that.

So why are their political beliefs suddenly off limits?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 30 Oct 19:20

Quote:

Wotsit, Sun 30 Oct 18:10

Referees and linesmen get abuse for all sorts: from their hairline, to their girth, to their parentage, and nobody, to my knowledge, has used this website to air their displeasure about any of that.

I suspect the folks arguing that political beliefs are off limits also feel that abuse of any sort is off limits.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Oct 11:55

Quote:

Milos Drizzle, Sun 30 Oct 19:20

Quote:

Wotsit, Sun 30 Oct 18:10

I suspect the folks arguing that political beliefs are off limits also feel that abuse of any sort is off limits.

That`s a reasonable, if boring, position right enough but my query is more about why they are using this particular case to highlight that when much worse stuff has been shouted at linesmen every week for decades. There are loads of better hills for folk to defend if they are looking to make football less welcoming for angry fans.

I have personally shouted stuff at the north stand linesman that I`d never even dream of saying to anybody else and yet I don`t think I`m all that bad a person, I just get caught up in a pantomime and let loose. It even makes me feel better, I get rid of rage in a relatively safe environment whilst also realising that what I say/scream/foam at linesmen isn`t going to make a blind bit of difference and certainly isn`t suitable for many other situations in my life.

That said, I`d definitely criticise a senior elected politician any time I saw fit: theirs is not a normal job and they have made a number of conscious and deliberate decisions to open up themselves and their lives to public scrutiny.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Oct 12:45

Iā€™m sure for the most part assistant referees treat the whole thing as a pantomime, and thereā€™s no real harm done if foaming occurs. And if that foam includes a political payload Iā€™m sure the likes of Douglas Ross would parcel it in the pantomime box. Personally, if I was to get upset at an assistant referee during a game Iā€™d like to think Iā€™d keep the ā€œabuseā€ focussed on the decision, but each to their own, I suppose. On the point of making valuable political points, I can only restate my case that there are much more effective ways to get them across than during a footy match when the official is (hopefully!!) fully focussed on the game.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Oct 21:01

I started this thread ten days ago. On reflection, I probably shouldn`t have.

Do some of you actually read what you`ve written before hitting "Post"?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
Ā© 2021-- DAFC.net