DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Poppies
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 12 Nov 14:50

Wandering through town and the Kingsgate earlier and I must have counted about 10. Passed maybe 500 people in all. It seems poppy wearing is definitely not in vogue in these parts.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Poppies
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sat 12 Nov 17:52

Wasn`t remembrance on Friday?

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Nov 18:27

Topic Originator: EastEndTales like
Date: Sat 12 Nov 17:52

So people just take them off at 1 minute past midnight on the 12th then?

There were more Army and Navy cadets up town still rattling tins for donations than poppies on show.

Remembrance Sunday is tomorrow……

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 12 Nov 18:55

There are far far more other charities these days that many people support with money and time so maybe they feel they put in enough. Why should the poppy appeal be mandated over all others?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 12 Nov 19:13

The poppy sellers at the match today were the first I`ve seen this year and shops don`t seem to sell them either. I think it all changed in 2020 with the pandemic.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 12 Nov 19:23

I used to always wear a poppy but in recent years it`s almost become a bit over powering. It used to be perfectly acceptable for people to wear them or not, but in recent years there has been a bit more pomp and circumstance around remembrance events. Every football club has to be seen to be making an effort. Now if someone on TV isn`t wearing a poppy they are getting named and shamed. Anyone that doesn`t toe the line with the poppy fascists is in trouble.
The last few years I`ve worn a white poppy, this year I didn`t wear one at all, and actually worked through the normal minutes silence as I forgot all about it.
My great gran lived with us until she died in her 90s. I remember her singing mournful songs for her childhood sweetheart, married at 17, dead in a field in Europe months later, not knowing he had a child on the way.
I used to think he was a hero, fighting for our freedom but now I realise he was just a silly wee laddie, that gave up his life along with millions of others, to settle a minor tiff between members of European Royalty
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 12 Nov 19:32

A lot more people wearing the smaller badges with the associated charity also dislpayed, including Pars ones!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 12 Nov 20:01

I don`t wear a poppy. No real reason I don`t. If I did buy one I`d probably not want to pin it to my clothes as it might make a hole.

The nonsense about berating people for not wearing one is ridiculous. Bigger issues in the world than someone bit wearing a bit of paper on their lapel.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 12 Nov 20:02

Maybe the pandemic does have something to with there being far less on show this year than I seem to remember.

Personally I can’t remember the last time I wore one. More than 25 years I would think.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 12 Nov 21:10

I think this is the first year I haven`t worn one but I do feel that veterans who have suffered need to be supported so I made an online donation to Poppyscotland.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sat 12 Nov 21:12

There’s something weird about someone going around counting poppy wearers.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 12 Nov 22:28

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 12 Nov 21:12

There’s something weird about someone going around counting poppy wearers.

Exactly what I was thinking. Very odd behaviour

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sun 13 Nov 08:13

Quote:

desparado, Sat 12 Nov 18:27

Topic Originator: EastEndTales like
Date: Sat 12 Nov 17:52

So people just take them off at 1 minute past midnight on the 12th then?

There were more Army and Navy cadets up town still rattling tins for donations than poppies on show.

Remembrance Sunday is tomorrow……

A lot of people feel that the poppy no longer represents the men and women from the two world wars, but the British army full stop including the mess that the UK created in Iraq and elsewhere, not to mention their deeds in Ireland.

People remember on their own way rather than wearing a throw-away badge once a year. For example I like listening to podcasts and watch documentaries talking about the 2 world wars but I don`t just do it this time of year, which would be weird.

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sun 13 Nov 08:17

I blame the lack of pins. These green things are hopeless, I’ve donated to quite a few collections but haven’t taken poppies as the hassle of trying to use them is to much. Still completely respect the poppy though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sun 13 Nov 10:06

People should only have to justify why they do display a symbol, never why they do not.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"

Post Edited (Sun 13 Nov 10:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 13 Nov 11:03

I don`t think it needs to be justified either way.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sun 13 Nov 12:16

I think that if you freely and openly co-opt a symbol to represent your values then you should be prepared to justify that choice.

I can`t expect to be able to go to the pub wearing, for the sake of argument, an ACAB badge and not have to justify promoting that belief in public, even if it is just to my peers or the drunk guy at the bar.

I should, however, be allowed to hold that belief privately without needing to justify it, i.e. I should not have to justify not wearing an ACAB badge to the pub.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Nov 12:19

Indeed TOWK, wear a poppy or not, but I think if you do a red one is most appropriate.

Michelle Thomson MSP with her white poppy adorned with a YES pin is a pathetic look at me twerp.

Post Edited (Sun 13 Nov 12:26)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Nov 12:34

I think that was a great album, never got the badge though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 13 Nov 12:42

I didn`t wear a poppy this year. Wasn`t making any sort of statement it just slipped my mind. I can`t say I really notice if other people wear one or not. If I had worn one and someone came up to me to justify why I was wearing it they would be politely or maybe not so politely told to mind their own business.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 13 Nov 12:50

Quote:

Parboiled, Sun 13 Nov 12:19

Indeed TOWK, wear a poppy or not, but I think if you do a red one is most appropriate.

Michelle Thomson MSP with her white poppy adorned with a YES pin is a pathetic look at me twerp.

Much as I dislike Michelle Thomson (buying houses off desperate people at stupidly low prices), she explained the reason for her badge. Seemed quite reasonable. The fact people get so upset over a bit of paper is laughable.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 13 Nov 13:02

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 13 Nov 12:42

I didn`t wear a poppy this year. Wasn`t making any sort of statement it just slipped my mind. I can`t say I really notice if other people wear one or not. If I had worn one and someone came up to me to justify why I was wearing it they would be politely or maybe not so politely told to mind their own business.

I don’t think that’s what happens though, the pressure is on those not wearing a poppy to wear one or justify why not rather than those who do to justify wearing it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 13 Nov 13:53

What used to be a solemn, private affair is now turning into a “look at me” contest. People dressing up, card displays, light projections etc are crass and undignified imo. It’s a relatively new thing and it seems to be some football clubs that are leading the way with this kind of behaviour.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net