DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 TK Maxx
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 16 Dec 13:45

Surprised the Press didn`t report on this. The council signed off on a change of use on the Dreams unit in the retail park so it can be turned into a TK Maxx.

The Press reported the original application where the agent claimed the Debenhams unit was too big and the H&M one too expensive. Got to wonder what the Kingsgate are charging when they`d rather have empty units than lower rents!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: TK Maxx
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 16 Dec 14:34

It was reported that one of the key factors in Debenhams overall demise was the refusal of their store building owners reluctance to consider lowering rents.

Now there are large empty units across the U.K. with no takers…….Stirling is a big empty example.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 16 Dec 16:01

I`m always up for pointing out that landlordism is an inherently parasitic activity, but surely the only truly significant factor in the demise of Debenhams was mismanagement vee?

The debt accrued is a very similar figure to the dividends received by Phillip Greene.

Same scenario with BHS, except in that case his accrued dividends were many millions over the shortfall in the pension fund when BHS collapsed.

Greene doesn`t care how he extracts profit.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 16 Dec 17:51

The BHS in Falkirk was refitted as a large DSS. Says it all really.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 16 Dec 17:57

JTH123 .. can you mind when Falkirk had a big Goldbergs store ?

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Dec 18:41

"I`m always up for pointing out that landlordism is an inherently parasitic activity, but surely the only truly significant factor in the demise of Debenhams was mismanagement vee?"sales

That was the other major factor no doubt.

Laterally they were having their "Blue Cross Sale" every other week - punters would wait and buy when these came around.

Her Ladyship used to get money off vouchers which could be used in conjunction with sales offers !!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Dec 18:44

There needs to be a mix of big names and local shops but the issue with big stores is the majority don`t really care about the local area. As long as the money keeps coming in they don`t care if the store front looks shabby. Most of the buildings are rented too so they`re not bothered about that either.

I`m still of the view the Kingsgate would be better off repurposing the extension for food, drink and entertainment rather than shopping.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 16 Dec 18:53

Quote:

Buspasspar, Fri 16 Dec 17:57

JTH123 .. can you mind when Falkirk had a big Goldbergs store ?

Not a place I`m in the habit of frequenting I`m pleased to say. 😉 I only know about the DSS because I was involved in the project.
I can remember Lourenzos being Goldbergs though.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 16 Dec 19:51

Was Poundstretcher not Goldbergs too?

Poundstretcher has to be the mankiest shop in town with WH Smith being a close second. In dire need of refurbishment.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sat 17 Dec 13:21

I’d love for them to turn Debenhams into a Vue Cinema.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 17 Dec 13:30

Quote:

General Zod, Sat 17 Dec 13:21

I’d love for them to turn Debenhams into a Vue Cinema.

Why? Would that not just scupper the Odeon?
Is there enough demand?

Certainly a much better position for a cinema complex, bringing folk into thecity centre.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Dec 14:33

The Odeon is the only main cinema in all of Fife. The rest are smaller independent cinemas. Another cinema in Kirkcaldy/Glenrothes would make more sense.

The original plans for a Warner Village (Vue) in the gap site in Dunfermline would have transformed the centre. Sadly, they arsed about so long that Odeon got permission.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sat 17 Dec 15:56

Isn’t the Odeon in Dunfermline the most expensive in the whole UK? I’m sure that was in the paper a couple years ago. The Vue is a fiver any day any time. The odeon can ram themselves as far as I’m concerned. Me and my mate are at the cinema a lot but we’d rather go to Livingston instead of on our own doorstep in Dunfermline due to the absolutely staggering price difference. The seat are also a million times better.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Dec 16:10

The Odeon seem to have dropped their prices. That one was supposed to be getting converted to Odeon Lux with the interior and exterior redone.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Sat 17 Dec 17:36

I’ve heard that Debenhams in kings gate is to be split into two units. One will ge dunelm mill and the other will be a soft play.

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Wed 21 Dec 17:17

I went to see Matilda at the Odeon last night with my wife and two daughters (both students). Total cost £64. We didn`t bother going in and instead will go and see it at the Vue in Edinburgh tomorrow for £20 all in. A real shame as I really want a cinema to succeed in Dunfermline, but simply can`t afford those prices.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Dec 17:43

£64 - that`s outrageous.

The VUE in Stirling had to reduce its prices a few years ago after a public outcry and campaign by the local newspaper - now £4.99 basic entrance charge.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parak obama  
Date:   Wed 21 Dec 18:13

I take the family to Vue in Stirling but they have started a 3 tier system now. Cheapest seats in the first few rows, couple of pounds more for the last few rows and the middle rows the most expensive, still a lot less than the Odeon.

Actually a 4 tier, £4.99, £5.99, £6.99 and £8.99

[IMG]https://share2.co.uk/f/1152_471_P300411_16.49_[02].jpg[/IMG]

Post Edited (Wed 21 Dec 18:16)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Dec 19:06

The Odeon is the only "big" cinema in Fife so effectively has a monopoly. The Kino (Glenrothes and Leven) is much cheaper. The Press ran a story a while back declaring it to be the most expensive cinema in the country. Odeon are robbing barstewards.

One thing to be aware of is that the likes of Wowcher almost always have discounts for Odeon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 21 Dec 20:57

......and unless it`s super busy buy the fiver bleacher tickets then move to the fancy £7.99 leather recliners after the adverts finish.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 21 Dec 22:12

Only go to the Odeon when having Groupon tickets or Compare the Meercat offers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Thu 22 Dec 10:20

Agree Albert, odeon has gone the way of many of the restaurants.

High walk in prices but a multitude of deals available for those who plan in advance and look online or use scheme through work etc.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Dec 10:48

In other news, Giacomo`s being replaced by a Greek restaurant run by the guys who have the takeaway on Pilmuir Street and the van up at Adventure golf. Ordered a few times from the takeaway and always found it to be decent. Sad to see Giacomo`s go though. Sounds like a complete rip out so the old benches will be gone.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 22 Dec 11:10

I’m beginning to think you’re the ghost of Christmas yet to come, Jake! 😜

I’m particularly sad at the demise of Giacomos as this is where I would bump into my Dad ~ when he went for a sneaky bacon roll in the morning (he worked for the Clydesdale Bank at the cross) ~ and I was en route to the Pitman Secretarial College in Bruce Street, picking up my lunch.

There was a lovely wee wummin there who hated salad cream and screwed her nose up at me every time I ordered a cheese salad roll 😂

Fwiw the Greek takeaway in Pilmuir Street is good.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Dec 13:24

I`m sure everyone always has a rose-tinted view of the past. Giacomo`s was a bit of an institution. Few places last that long these days. Just look at the state of the Kinema as an example. Hopefully someone will buy it and maybe turn it back into a venue.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 09:57

Appears work has started. Dreams cleared out ready for a new level being added. Unit 7 (the empty one next door) is also getting repainted and the old frame for the signage is being removed.

May result in the Kirkcaldy outlet closing. Can`t be much left in the Mercat nowadays. Changed days from when it was a go-to place.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 12:47

I don’t recall ever being in a TK Maxx but is it similar to Matalan? I only go there for household items.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 12:57

Quote:

jake89, Mon 20 Mar 09:57

Appears work has started. Dreams cleared out ready for a new level being added. Unit 7 (the empty one next door) is also getting repainted and the old frame for the signage is being removed.

May result in the Kirkcaldy outlet closing. Can`t be much left in the Mercat nowadays. Changed days from when it was a go-to place.

Was in Kirkcaldy last week, the place is a ghost town, Mercat is a joke. Only new property is the DWP jobcentre in the old BHS, a family charity centre combined with a foodbank.

Meanwhile the prom was flooded again, after all the millions that were spent!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 13:58

Quote:

buffy, Mon 20 Mar 12:47

I don’t recall ever being in a TK Maxx but is it similar to Matalan? I only go there for household items.

It sells designer labels at cheaper prices. Normally older seasons or over stock from other suppliers I think.

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/

You can get a decent bargain every now and again.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 14:12

Online site has the early release bargains!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 15:13

Didn`t know that thanks mate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 15:20

I was in the cinema in st James centre embra the other day... and you get a proper sofa to sit on, loads of leg room plus a foot rest, lovely bar just outside the screen and all for 90p more than the rip off that is Odeon halbeath
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 16:37

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 20 Mar 15:13

Didn`t know that thanks mate.

Your welcome, EMAIL updates as well!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 19:35

Giacomos was there for years but it was also minging and before the smoking ban a complete ashtray. This is 30 years ago I`m talking mind. Yer da etc

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 20:37

Quote:

DBP, Mon 20 Mar 15:20

I was in the cinema in st James centre embra the other day... and you get a proper sofa to sit on, loads of leg room plus a foot rest, lovely bar just outside the screen and all for 90p more than the rip off that is Odeon halbeath

There`s no competition for Odeon. I hope when the art house cinema opens it also puts on some big films too so it steals some trade from those robbing gits.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 20:38

Quote:

buffy, Mon 20 Mar 12:47

More focus on last season`s fashion but they do a fair amount of homeware. They also own Home Sense so I`m wondering if Home Sense might go in the unit next door as it seems weird that they`re going to the effort to do it up now when they`ve had permission to remove that signage at the front for years.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bouncer  
Date:   Tue 21 Mar 03:10

As a recent retiree I have tried the Odeon unlimited pass for 3 months.
Generally been going for a early afternoon performance and been getting about 1 film a week for my £15pm although there is nothing on this week I fancy.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Mar 15:30

The good thing with that pass is you can just take a chance on something and if its pants you`ve only lost a couple of hours of your life. If you`re on the monthly version and are going to keep it going they normally do a decent discount on the annual version at black friday so it`s even cheaper.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net