DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Vaping among young people.
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 10 Mar 18:52

This phenomenon has belatedly made the national news tonight. While many are of the opinion that E cigs are less harmful than tobacco, it`s disturbing to contemplate that kids who have never smoked tobacco are now choosing to vape.

I`m reliably informed that the practice is rife in our secondary schools and has even been detected in some of our local West Fife primary schools. Two things I take issue with are that kids should not be able to get their hands on these products and that they should not be so flavoursome. I haven`t tried vaping myself but I know people who do and they tell me the flavour is even better than the smell.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Wed 12 Apr 18:49)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Vaping among young people.
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Fri 10 Mar 19:59

I recall a doctor on the radio commenting on vaping.

He said that cricket is a dangerous sport, people die playing it; cricket balls are dangerous projectiles when hit with a bat. Yet he is happy to let his children play cricket. Vaping he said is like playing cricket with cricket balls, smoking is like playing cricket with hand grenades.

it`s difficult to know if the invention of vaping has lowered the risk factor over all, does more kids vaping and (presumably) less kids smoking reduce the overall harm?

I don`t know.

My libertarian instincts tell me if you want to smoke, smoke, you want to vape, vape you want to drink - drink, you want to do drugs do them. But then again it`s easy for me to say that, I do none of those things.

I ride motorbikes, I mountain climb, I do a bit of horse riding now and then, how long before someone steps in to stop me doing those things "for my own safety", not too long I suspect.

I`m not sure my contribution has advanced this discussion very far if at all, but it`s all I have to offer at the moment.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 07:52

The issue with vapes is people don`t know the long term effects yet. I`d guess it`s safer than smoking but I think people forget that the addiction isn`t to smoking, it`s to nicotine.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 09:13

Quote:

Bletchley_Par, Fri 10 Mar 19:59

I recall a doctor on the radio commenting on vaping.

He said that cricket is a dangerous sport, people die playing it; cricket balls are dangerous projectiles when hit with a bat. Yet he is happy to let his children play cricket. Vaping he said is like playing cricket with cricket balls, smoking is like playing cricket with hand grenades.

it`s difficult to know if the invention of vaping has lowered the risk factor over all, does more kids vaping and (presumably) less kids smoking reduce the overall harm?

I don`t know.

My libertarian instincts tell me if you want to smoke, smoke, you want to vape, vape you want to drink - drink, you want to do drugs do them. But then again it`s easy for me to say that, I do none of those things.

I ride motorbikes, I mountain climb, I do a bit of horse riding now and then, how long before someone steps in to stop me doing those things "for my own safety", not too long I suspect.

I`m not sure my contribution has advanced this discussion very far if at all, but it`s all I have to offer at the moment.

A quirky post, Bletchley, but as you yourself conclude, it perhaps doesn`t get to grips with the issue. Almost everything we do in life carries an element of danger - walking downstairs, crossing the road, travelling by road or rail, flying etc. The difference is that smoking and vaping are completely unnecessary and demonstrably unhealthy. As Jake points out, nicotine is the addictive substance. Smoking is repulsive to a non- smoker. As a 12 year old, I was encouraged to "stick with it" by an older cousin, when I coughed and wretched when I puffed at my first fag. I ended up smoking on and off for almost 20 years before finally chucking it. Hopefully, I reversed much of the harm done by taking up jogging at the same time. As for nicotine, there have been plenty of studies carried out on it and it is a far from harmless substance.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 09:24

Is the moral of the above - don’t play cricket and vape ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 09:55

I`d rather throw pyro than play cricket.

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 11:02

Some mess from them as well - only need to go for a walk and see how many of them are discarded and lying in the street and bushes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 12:09

Every vape has a lithium battery in it too. They are easily recycled yet they`re discarded all over the place. Worth taking the batteries out if you`re into electronics. They`re 3.7v but an adaptor easily changes them up to a more standard 5v.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 12:49

Business gets away with murder when it comes to recycling. How much plastic is still marked `Do not recycle`? Why can`t it be made illegal to use non-recyclable packaging? They squeal like pigs of course if anything that will help the environment is going to cost them money.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 12:58

When I was at school, the ice-cream van used to sell single cigarettes to kids outside the school. I’ve no idea if that still happens, but vaping is probably the lesser of the two evils if it is an evil at all. It has certainly helped some long term smoking addicts ditch the cigarettes, probably improving their health and certainly saving them money. Cigarettes are about £13 a pack now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 16:28

Quote:

Tad Allagash, Sat 11 Mar 12:58

When I was at school, the ice-cream van used to sell single cigarettes to kids outside the school. I’ve no idea if that still happens, but vaping is probably the lesser of the two evils if it is an evil at all. It has certainly helped some long term smoking addicts ditch the cigarettes, probably improving their health and certainly saving them money. Cigarettes are about £13 a pack now.

You`re conflating two different things though, Tad. Most people would agree that switching from smoking tobacco to gaping is probably a good thing, since the latter doesn`t contain tar. This is quite different from a non smoker taking up vaping. Vaping may be less harmful than smoking, but it`s more harmful than not vaping. As well as being addictive, nicotine affects the heart and nervous system. And yes, nobody wants us to be in a nanny state, but kids need to be educated at an early age, so they can make an informed choice when it comes to either smoking or vaping.

When I was a kid, smoking was actively promoted as a cool thing to do. Tobacco adverts, portraying healthy people and associations with sport, were everywhere. Many of my generation might never have taken up the habit and lived healthier lives, if we knew then what we know now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 17:34

How many people on this thread actually realise that you can buy nicotine free vapes much the same as you can buy them in various different strengths are we 100% sure it’s one that has nicotine in it?

A friend of mine who has never smoked a day in his life buys a vape when ever we go on a night out so when the rest of us go out for a smoke he can come with us rather than sitting like s spare pr!k at a wedding waiting on us coming back

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 17:54

Your friend getting all the second hand nicotine then! Nae wonder he doesn’t need some in a vape. That’s like a pen withoot ink!

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 18:15

BOTN, is your friend only allowed to join the smokers and vapers if he has something in his hand that he can puff on? Couldn`t he just joins you`s without having a vape?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 Mar 19:52

Quote:

back oh the net, Sat 11 Mar 17:34

How many people on this thread actually realise that you can buy nicotine free vapes much the same as you can buy them in various different strengths are we 100% sure it’s one that has nicotine in it?

A friend of mine who has never smoked a day in his life buys a vape when ever we go on a night out so when the rest of us go out for a smoke he can come with us rather than sitting like s spare pr!k at a wedding waiting on us coming back

What a bizarre post. I didn`t know you can get nicotine free vapes. I`d put them in the same bin as alcohol free beer. 🙂 Do you really think kids who vape are addicted to the nicotine free stuff?

Why does your friend feel the need to come outside with those of you who smoke? Does he do this when it`s freezing cold and are you all in short sleeves. And why on earth would you consider him to be "a spare prik" if he stayed indoors instead of following the sheep? 🤔

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 12 Mar 09:41

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 11 Mar 18:15

BOTN, is your friend only allowed to join the smokers and vapers if he has something in his hand that he can puff on? Couldn`t he just joins you`s without having a vape?

My immediate reaction likewise.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 13 Mar 00:17

Alternatively, he could find friends who have healthier habits...

:)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 9 Apr 09:12

From Aunty :-

Plans to make it more difficult for children to illegally buy e-cigarettes in England are to be laid out by the government next week.

An enforcement squad made up of trading standards officers will be set up to carry out test purchases and clamp down on shops selling vapes to under-18s.
The Department of Health says it will allocate £3m to tackle the issue.

Health Minister Neil O`Brien said he was particularly concerned about the rising use of disposable vapes.

The measures will also call for help in identifying how best to stop children from vaping.

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 9 Apr 14:59

I hate folk vaping round about me.

Is such a large, visible exhale and horribly sweet smelling, that there`s no doubt you`re breathing second hand smoke - nicotine or not, it`s disgusting walking behind someone vaping
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Apr 17:01

There was a piece on Radio Scotland a few days ago - an observer condemning the availability of flavoured vapes which are claimed to specifically target youngsters to get into the habit.

Several US States now imposing varying types of sales ban on such products.

Some countries ban them outright.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net