DAFC.net
Home 20 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Obesity
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 30 Mar 12:51

I caught a local bus this morning and was stunned at the number of young, obese passengers who got on before I got off. 7 to be exact. All at least 20 stones or more and none were particularly tall. (1 male, 6 females, for the record.) Not one of them looked over 30, most were probably early 20s and 2 of them had mobility problems.

I`m not condemning any one and I realise that this was a snapshot in time, which has perhaps given me a completely false picture of the real extent of the problem.

I don`t have any stats but I`m fairly certain that we, as a nation, are getting heavier. Where has it all gone Wrong?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Obesity
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Thu 30 Mar 13:00

Referring back to your previous thread, I wonder if the decline of smoking and the rise of obesity are linked?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Thu 30 Mar 13:10

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 30 Mar 12:51

I caught a local bus this morning and was stunned at the number of young, obese passengers who got on before I got off. 7 to be exact. All at least 20 stones or more and none were particularly tall. (1 male, 6 females, for the record.) Not one of them looked over 30, most were probably early 20s and 2 of them had mobility problems.

I`m not condemning any one and I realise that this was a snapshot in time, which has perhaps given me a completely false picture of the real extent of the problem.

I don`t have any stats but I`m fairly certain that we, as a nation, are getting heavier. Where has it all gone Wrong?

I think the answer to the last question is mainly due to poor dietary choices and sedentary lifestyles and/or jobs.

I`m slightly overweight (not obese) but as soon as I moved from a physical job to an office job I found it much harder to keep in shape.

Edited to add: I think there is also a mental health crisis across large swathes of the population, which inevitably leads to poor lifestyle choices, which leads to poor mental health (viscious cycle).

Post Edited (Thu 30 Mar 13:14)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 30 Mar 13:10

I`d blame a combination of

Convenient but invariably Fast / processed food and not eating balanced healthy diet (med diet is what we should be on)

Larger portions and/or simply eating / snacking when you`re hungry - as opposed to waiting for meal (what was the expression - breakfast like a king, dine like a pauper). Your body soib starts to reduce those cravings when it gets in the habit of only eating at mealtime

Eating at the wrong time of day

Sweets/biscuits etc too often - pints at the pub etc

Sedentary jobs and / or lack of general physical activities outside of work

Most off these behaviours are often taught from parents BTW

We live in a convenience time / lifestyle and fior many, cooking is not a skill we have /have time for our even a task to be ensured

I`m saying the above from sometime who was getting quite chunky, but at the start of lock down addressed all of the above and the change (gradually over last 2 years has been amazing)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 30 Mar 14:10

On a separate note, healthy eating!🤔😲😡

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/exclusive-mass-food-fraud-and-safety-scandal-engulfs-sector
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Digs  
Date:   Thu 30 Mar 14:48

There is no such thing as eating at the wrong time, your metabolism has no idea what time it is, it is a myth. Eating late in the evening might only affect your diet if you eat something heavy to digest before bed which may impact on your quality of sleep. This may cause you to produce ghrelin, which may make you more inclined to eat sugary, energy dense foods which tend to be higher in calories to relieve your tiredness.

Your body burns about 750 calories while you sleep just keeping you alive. Most adult men would burn roughly 2200 calories every day just existing.

People are overweight because they are consuming more calories than they are burning which is surprisingly easy if you eat the wrong things. There`s no such thing as `unhealthy food` just bad dosage.

As mentioned above there is a perfect storm of more working from home in sedentary jobs, a mental health crisis, just about every place the sells food able to deliver etc

One thing I will say is I am seeing a lot more young people looking after themselves properly too, my gym is full of them. When I was their age I couldn`t tell you the difference from Protein or Carbs in terms of which does what for you and my diet was shocking, but held at bay by my busy job and playing football. Now though, they are much better informed from what I can tell.

Stair Maistreas na Beatha
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Mar 15:36

Point taken about fuel in vs fuel burned...although I disagree about working from home.
Not commiting gives me back enough time to actually get out when it`s still light after work and go for a walk, run, cycle as opposed to sorting on a bus for an hour and a half each way.
Worked from home yesterday, out after work
For an hour on the bike
In office today, will be too late by time I get home to prepare and have dinner as group I cycles with well already be out and on way home
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Digs  
Date:   Thu 30 Mar 17:02

I`m the same as you with that and your story sounds similar to mine re covid and getting in shape.

For every person like us though who has managed to make WFH work for us, there are others who find they have become more sedentary just by the fact they have a 20 step walk to their desk as opposed to walking to their commute. I actually find it easier to do my steps when I`m in the office.

Stair Maistreas na Beatha
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Thu 30 Mar 19:59

Google search an image of Chauncey Morlan who was the fattest man in the world early last century - you would not give him a second glance today.

Even the humans on Wall-e look svelte compared to what you see during a stroll through the Kingsgate on a weekday…..although noticing such wilful self neglect is not permitted by the thought police

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 31 Mar 07:13

A world wide health survey, involving 38 nations, was carried out in 2018. Hundreds of thousands of children, aged between 10 and 15 were asked about their lifestyles in relation to health. A league table was compiled from their answers. The UK fared very poorly. England were 37th, Scotland came 38th......

The main reasons attributed to this were:-

1. Lack of physical exercise and
2. Lack of sleep.

Scotland did come top in another table, which might explain the lack of sleep - screen time!

Food for thought.......

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Mar 08:29

Screen time is a big thing... Especially before bed. Thanks to my wife`s nagging, the mobile is put down at least half an hour before going to bed and it after a few weeks of that my sleep had defo improved.

In fact the nights where I have the worst sleep now is normally tonight, because I`ll have a couple of drams when I`m out tonight and i can see now how alcohol impacts my sleep
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 31 Mar 13:23

Lots of countries don`t start school until ten am, or after, on the understanding that teenagers need much more sleep than adults.

Sadly, in this country school is seen as a daycare to free parents to work as much as it is a way to help young people to develop in the best way.

Edit to add: this was the case before TV. It was definitely true of me and I didn't have any screens; I would stay awake until 2am reading Douglas Adams books though.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"

Post Edited (Fri 31 Mar 13:24)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Mar 14:05

Its not always about when you go to bed, but more about the quality of sleep
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Fri 31 Mar 23:05

Quality of sleep is very important, I wear my Fitbit and it’s incredibly accurate on predicting how well I slept. I always predict how I feel before checking it, I work nights so often I get 5 hours but high quality sleep compared to my wife who tries to get 7 plus hours and is knackered.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net