DAFC.net
Home 25 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Where will it all end ?
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 15 Apr 18:50

I remember back in the 50`s lots of my girl neighbours having black dolls and we thought nothing of it

Now a pub displaying them has had them removed by the polis .. Smyths toy shops were selling them 2 years ago but no polis as far as I could see .. maybe we have to remove all white dolls as well ?

I am not racist in any shape or form .. but cannot get my auld napper around this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-65260945

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Where will it all end ?
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 15 Apr 19:53

Nothing wrong with black dolls but do gollies not depict a derogatory caricature of black folk. I get why they can be viewed as offensive.

If you want to hear ridiculous though, I was once corrected in a meeting with Barnardos for referring to the blackboard. Told it was a chalkboard. During the break I was asked how I take my coffee. I said black. Reply was, you mean without milk.
I kid you not.
That was about 25 yrs ago

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 15 Apr 19:54

I`m not a big fan of Ricky Gervais but I did enjoy this quote from him: "Just because you`re offended, doesn`t mean you`re right."

Everyone has a different view of what`s offensive and if we accommodated everyone`s view then nothing would be said ever.

I find Rangers tops offensive but I don`t expect them to stop selling Rangers tops. That would just be stupid.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 15 Apr 20:22

"I was once corrected in a meeting with Barnardos for referring to the blackboard."

That`s rich coming from them, considering their sectarian origins.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 15 Apr 20:34

Ach maybe just me out of touch with the modern world PARrot

Police are investigating after a member of the public reported being racially distressed on 24 February. ... Dearie me

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Sat 15 Apr 22:47

I think there is far more to this than meets the eye.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Sat 15 Apr 23:45

It ends the way all identarian ideological movements end, with death in the streets and people wondering how it got this far.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 05:42

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 15 Apr 20:22

"I was once corrected in a meeting with Barnardos for referring to the blackboard."

That`s rich coming from them, considering their sectarian origins.

Can you elaborate on that. I really don`t know what you are meaning.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 06:52

Quote:

Bletchley_Par, Sat 15 Apr 23:45

It ends the way all identarian ideological movements end, with death in the streets and people wondering how it got this far.

If only.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 12:00

Five police officers attended the pub with the dolls. This area must have a very low crime rate!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 13:30

"Can you elaborate on that. I really don`t know what you are meaning."

I too was unaware until adult life that my parents and grandparents refused to donate to Barnardo`s collections etc.

He was a longtime member of the Orange Order and children of Catholic families were generally not encouraged to be taken into the care of his homes.

The other side of the divide in Ireland probably reciprocated in reverse logic - but two wrongs don`t make a right.

Post Edited (Sun 16 Apr 13:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 18:05

If you can’t find the racism in a toy literally called a Golliwog then I really do despair. It’s not just a black doll but a grotesque caricature of black people and has long been accepted as offensive.

I can’t see any evidence of Smyths selling golliwogs 2 years ago and I find that pretty unlikely (and can’t find any evidence online) when Hamleys stopped selling them 15 years ago and even Robertson’s retired their use on jam jars 20 years because they were accepted as being racist even then.

I agree people are desperate to be offended but I 100% get how people can be offended by a toy created in a racist era that depicts them as black face, thick lips, wide eyes and wild black hair and whose name is a racial insult.

Next you will be wanting the B

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 18:05

Lack & white minstrels back on tv

Post Edited (Sun 16 Apr 18:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 18:44

Quote:

P, Sun 16 Apr 18:05

If you can’t find the racism in a toy literally called a Golliwog then I really do despair. It’s not just a black doll but a grotesque caricature of black people and has long been accepted as offensive.

I can’t see any evidence of Smyths selling golliwogs 2 years ago and I find that pretty unlikely (and can’t find any evidence online) when Hamleys stopped selling them 15 years ago and even Robertson’s retired their use on jam jars 20 years because they were accepted as being racist even then.

I agree people are desperate to be offended but I 100% get how people can be offended by a toy created in a racist era that depicts them as black face, thick lips, wide eyes and wild black hair and whose name is a racial insult.

I doubt Smyth`s ever sold them as there`s hardly a captive market for a creepy looking doll.

This is all a bit silly though. If someone wants to display a weird looking doll in their shop/pub/restaurant then just let them be. It`s up to them if they want to alienate their potential customers.

Let the consumer choose. Loads of people are now boycotting Coors after they used a trans woman to advertise their beer. I think there`s something similar for Nike after they used a trans woman to advertise women`s sportswear. Neither of these things offends me but I can understand why a woman would be unhappy that her clothes are being promoted by a biological man. I`ll be honest that I`ve no idea what a trans "influencer" has to do with selling beer but I`m sure some marketing person thought it was a good idea...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 19:15

Quote:

jake89, Sun 16 Apr 18:44

Quote:

P, Sun 16 Apr 18:05

I doubt Smyth`s ever sold them as there`s hardly a captive market for a creepy looking doll.

This is all a bit silly though. If someone wants to display a weird looking doll in their shop/pub/restaurant then just let them be. It`s up to them if they want to alienate their potential customers.

Let the consumer choose. Loads of people are now boycotting Coors after they used a trans woman to advertise their beer. I think there`s something similar for Nike after they used a trans woman to advertise women`s sportswear. Neither of these things offends me but I can understand why a woman would be unhappy that her clothes are being promoted by a biological man. I`ll be honest that I`ve no idea what a trans "influencer" has to do with selling beer but I`m sure some marketing person thought it was a good idea...

Jings Jake. That is just wrong on so many levels.
By the way golliwogs were extremely popular. The Robertsons badges were highly collectable.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 19:20

I suppose you could say that a tartan clad red haired freckly faced bearded doll is an insulting caricature of a Scot.
It isnt quite the same as aderogatory depiction of a race that has until recent times been mocked abused and discriminated against.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 19:20

The thing with Dylan Mulvaney and BudLight however has been taken way out of proportion on social media. It’s not an advertising campaign nor was it used by the company on their own website. They personalised one can of the light beer, sent it to her and she made her own video on her Instagram account. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people are gifted personalised items from companies to show their viewers / readers on their own channel.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 20:00

Quote:

buffy, Sun 16 Apr 19:20

The thing with Dylan Mulvaney and BudLight however has been taken way out of proportion on social media. It’s not an advertising campaign nor was it used by the company on their own website. They personalised one can of the light beer, sent it to her and she made her own video on her Instagram account. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people are gifted personalised items from companies to show their viewers / readers on their own channel.

Thanks for explaining that, Buffy. I`d not seen the detail of it all. Feels odd that there`s been such a backlash but I`m maybe missing something.

BPP, a better example might be the Lucky Charms leprechaun! I suspect it all comes down to the intent of how particular depictions and names are used. Context is everything. We use the C word in Scotland as both a term of endearment and an insult. Use it in the States as a term of endearment and you`ll probably get a smack in the face!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 21:09

From Metro - they sound entirely harmless 🤔..

“After the story broke, Facebook posts from Chris Ryley – who owns the pub with wife Benice – were widely shared on social media, showing his apparent support for far-right views.

In one post from 2016, he shared a picture of one of the dolls with the caption ‘We have our golliwogs, yaay.’

In a comment underneath, he added: ‘They used to hang them in Mississippi years ago.’”

Quick hunt on twitter and plenty reviews going back the last 5 years calling it a racist pub.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 21:17

I think an apology to all from me .. I thought they were black dolls but it would appear they are golliwog dolls .. my bad .. Smyths were selling black baby dolls ..not golliwog dolls .. Sorry for the confusion

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Mon 17 Apr 15:27

Should replace them with some Pussycat Dolls.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net