DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Gordon Lightfoot (D)
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 2 May 22:20

One of my all-time favourite singers, Gordon Lightfoot, has passed away. The Canadian wrote some beautiful songs and had a very distinctive voice.

His songs were often brilliant, such as Sundown, Early Morning Rain, Carefree Highway, and If You Could Read My Mind... but the one that always stands out for me was The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. It is a measure of the man that all the royalties from that song have gone to the families of the 29 crew who died aboard that ship.

The clock is running down on so many of the favourites of my youth. That makes me incredibly sad.

Post Edited (Tue 02 May 22:28)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Gordon Lightfoot (D)
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 2 May 22:59

That`s very sad news OzPar. I had only recently discovered his music (I`m not quite sure how, either it was mentioned on here or YouTube randomly played The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald). That`s a classic song, a story well told
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 3 May 08:32

Another great gone .. RIP Gordon

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: southernpar  
Date:   Wed 3 May 15:18

Never been a fan of folk music, but Gordon Lightfoot was easily the best of the bunch, great voice and terrific song writer. The wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald and Minstrel of the Dawn are two standout tracks. Like you say, another great gone.

robert mcbride
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net