DAFC.net
Home 02 June 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 High Street and surrounding area
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 24 Jun 17:04

Yesterday we had thousands of St Pauli fans from Germany and across Scotland, today we`ve got the Gala. Loads of people potentially venturing into Dunfermline for the first time. A handsome small city with a lot of offer despite what the locals might think. However, the state of some of the buildings and paving is embarrassing.

I`ve been in a few places this week for work and it`s actually shameful how little investment has been put into Dunfermline city centre by comparison. Walking along Bruce Street there`s signs hanging off and it looks like the frontage of Cafe Continental is about the fall off! Nothing the council can do about that but the paving is all over the place from being dug up and put back incorrectly. The High Street is the same with that nasty monoblock that isn`t in fitting with Dunfermline in the slightest. Various streets like New Row should be paved rather than tarmac but it`s obviously been done on the cheap.

Are there plans to improve things? As retail starts to die it`s being replaced by leisure and tourism so Dunfermline needs to up its game or it`ll end up like Falkirk and Kirkcaldy!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: High Street and surrounding area
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 24 Jun 17:38

Agreed, it`s shameful the way it`s been allowed to go by Fife Council. Money that should be getting sent to Dunfermline is being spent on Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes, who have nothing in comparison to us that would attract tourists.

Maybe if Fife Councillors weren`t so preoccupied with selling properties on the cheap to be developed by the wee man then they would actually do something that benefits the citizens of Fife`s premier destination
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 24 Jun 22:33

Kirkcaldy High Street is a ghost town. So many empty units. The kingdom centre in Glenrothes isn’t anything to write home about either. I’ve no idea where fife Council are spending their money

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Jun 23:30

Quote:

buffy, Sat 24 Jun 22:33

Kirkcaldy High Street is a ghost town. So many empty units. The kingdom centre in Glenrothes isn’t anything to write home about either. I’ve no idea where fife Council are spending their money

Kirkcaldy Prom (again!), The Adam Smith and Kirkcaldy High Street. They`ve spent a fortune trying to make Kirkcaldy a tourist destination but also approved all the shops up at the retail park resulting in many closures in the town centre. TK Maxx will go as soon as they open in Dunfermline.

No doubt the council will do yet another study that will tell them the same thing they were told the last time...and the time before that and before that...The Yellowbook recommendations had the whole high street repaved and also the New Row, James Street and I think East Port. They had it all costed and I`m sure the cheapest option was lower than the cost of developing the co-op site.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 24 Jun 23:37

The coop site really needs looked at, someone suggesting a giant mural on the gable end just to brighten it up.

They`ve put flowers in the pots, but that doesn`t make a lot of difference, the staging area there could have done with a group or even a pipe band for today`s magnificent gala.

Today brought back memories of the fifties marching down the High Street, great to see my granddaughter follow in my foot steps!😮‍💨❤️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Wed 28 Jun 11:09

I get irritated and dismayed by the condition of Scotland`s infrastructure generally, not just in Fife or Dunfermline.

But it`s too easy to blame local councils - their budgets are consistently squeezed by the Scottish Government, while they have to contend with rising costs and demands from the public. The Accounts Commission of Audit Scotland issued a damning report last month, explaining why councils are making painful cuts rather than investing for the future.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-65610095.amp

And for anyone who wants to dig into local decision-making, this Fife Council report on the 2023/24 budget-setting may be of interest.
https://www.fife.gov.uk/news/2023/fife-council-sets-budget-and-council-tax-for-2023-24

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 8000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Jun 19:40

Budgets have been getting cut for many years now and things like social care and continually going to see an increase in demand.

That`s why it`s important that councils invest in the right place. Dunfermline is an absolute asset to Fife Council yet it often treats it with contempt with much more focus going on central Fife.

There was the first City Convention yesterday. Surely some brass necks from Fife Council there talking up Dunfermline.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Jun 21:12

DC was there. Talking up da Pars

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 28 Jun 21:18

Surely Leish should be the main spokesperson!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Jun 21:47

Quote:

buffy, Wed 28 Jun 21:12

DC was there. Talking up da Pars

The impact of the club cannot be underestimated. How many football fans are in the city centre pubs before a game? Let`s get the place looking great so they maybe come back for a day trip or night out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 08:25

We have a rich history in our City which few can rival but unfortunately the majority of the tourists know next to nothing about us. The opportunities are immense, look What the Kelpies and the wheel did for Falkirk,I bet far more people go there than come to Dunfermline yet we have MORE to offer. For example I’m on a lot of touring caravan/Motorhome sites for people all over the world and I see people going to Arbroath,Falkirk,St.Andrew’s etc but nobody has Dunfermline on their list of must visit destinations.
SCOTLAND’s best kept secret !?

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 10:56

I`m sure Fife council`s main tourist website used to be (or maybe still is) standrews.com, which sums up their attitude. They seem hell bent on making sure Dunfermine doesn`t become the dominant town in Fife.

It says it all that the East Neuk of Fife is one of the most beautiful coastal parts of Scotland, but no-one has heard of it, including Scottish people.

Everyone I know that visits Dunfermline cannot believe what the city contains. So many people visit Perth, and I don`t get it. It`s nice etc but there is nowt worth seeing.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 11:19

Every time my American friends visit I try to sell them the toon. They love the Carnegie connection. I’ve missed my calling as a tourist guide, I’m sure of it.

VisitDunfermline are doing great things these days. Give their website and social media sites a gander and share away!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 11:43

The East neuk might be a little bit pretty but it`s boring as **** and a nightmare to get to even with a car.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 12:32

The Carnegie link is such an easy win.

Any tourists I`ve spoken to have a pretty typical Scotland route of Edinburgh-Stirling-Loch Ness/Inverness-Glasgow.

I was in a venue recently and sighed that they had leaflets for a whole load of places to visit but not Dunfermline. The only Fife leaflets related to St.Andrews and the Secret Bunker.

VisitDunfermline is fantastic, but isn`t it run by a third party? No issue with that but I doubt they have the funding to run a full on marketing campaign. We`ve a lot of groups promoting Dunfermline but is anyone coordinating it? I don`t mean that to sound negative as I genuinely don`t know.

To me the key thing is that you want people to visit Dunfermline and have a good experience. We`re fortunate to have great things AROUND the centre (Abbey, Palace, museums, galleries, theatres, parks etc.) but the routes to them are incredibly tired. Some of this is down to buildings in private ownership but the council has control of all the roads, pavements and Street furniture that impact on how attractive Dunfermline looks.

Money is tight, but if money is available to narrow roads on the Kirkcaldy Prom then surely money is available for Dunfermline?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 12:35

Quote:

EastEndTales, Thu 29 Jun 11:43

The East neuk might be a little bit pretty but it`s boring as **** and a nightmare to get to even with a car.

Takes an age to get there on atrocious roads, you need a fish supper when you get there!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 13:53

Quote:

jake89, Thu 29 Jun 12:32

The Carnegie link is such an easy win.

Any tourists I`ve spoken to have a pretty typical Scotland route of Edinburgh-Stirling-Loch Ness/Inverness-Glasgow.

I was in a venue recently and sighed that they had leaflets for a whole load of places to visit but not Dunfermline. The only Fife leaflets related to St.Andrews and the Secret Bunker.

VisitDunfermline is fantastic, but isn`t it run by a third party? No issue with that but I doubt they have the funding to run a full on marketing campaign. We`ve a lot of groups promoting Dunfermline but is anyone coordinating it? I don`t mean that to sound negative as I genuinely don`t know.

To me the key thing is that you want people to visit Dunfermline and have a good experience. We`re fortunate to have great things AROUND the centre (Abbey, Palace, museums, galleries, theatres, parks etc.) but the routes to them are incredibly tired. Some of this is down to buildings in private ownership but the council has control of all the roads, pavements and Street furniture that impact on how attractive Dunfermline looks.

Money is tight, but if money is available to narrow roads on the Kirkcaldy Prom then surely money is available for Dunfermline?

Visit Dunfermline run by Billy George. Think it’s just a hobby though by the looks of things
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 15:30

Quote:

But it brings in huge amounts of tourist dollars.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 19:57

Quote:

JTH123, Thu 29 Jun 15:30

Quote:

But it brings in huge amounts of tourist dollars.

Yeah you are right. My Canadian friend (who lives in Falkirk) went on holiday to Torridon last year, and decided to stop off in St Andrews for lunch. Most tourists think nothing of 6 or 7 hour drives in a day. Its very much a Scottish thing that any car journey over 90 mins is a long drive. Dunfermline is perfect as a base and for a place to spend your day, but this will never be promoted by Fife Council as it costs money, and takes talent and effort. Nothing in Scotland is geared towards improving or sustaining anything. The whole country is in a monumental political rut where nothing new is built and no new initiatives to improve anything ever happens. Anyway, 22% Council tax rise incoming...
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net