DAFC.net
Home 03 June 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Beer and pizza deal
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 11:51

Co-op - two pizzas and 4 bottles Bud for £6, £5 for members.

They’ve done this before and I’ve done it twice, a bargain.

You might need to ask the staff where the stuff is though, they are not allowed to advertise it in store…Scotgov killjoys , so very hush hush, dinnae tell anyone!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Beer and pizza deal
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 12:18

First of all, it IS advertised.

Second of all, are you referring to the life-saving minimum unit pricing legislation that exists in Scotland? So you`d rather thousands of people died each year just so you can save a quid on crap beer? Genius.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 13:03

I wouldn`t take Bud if they were giving me a fiver !!!

Everyone to their own.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 13:13

I seem to recall census failure Angus Robertson celebrating old No voters dying..where was your angst then?
Obesity is a risk too, and the SNP benches heave with fatties..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 13:47

Angus Robertson is a member of the Scottish Parliament, not the Scottish Government and Public Health Scotland who implemented minimum unit pricing. I do not, however, celebrating anyone dying, unless that person was particularly vile.

Also, there`s sugar tax to help encourage healthier eating.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 14:23

Interesting discussion on Radio Scotland a few days ago - alcohol related deaths in Scotland have still risen in recent year or two - only not as much as in England.

As always stats can be made to mean just about everything.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 14:57

Why bring England into it?

You can start crowing when we’re not the worst in the UK per head.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 15:05

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 1 Jul 14:57

Man who is against alcohol offers to reduce alcoholism also wants to see reduction in alcoholism. Genius.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 15:22

The idea that the Scottish government has got a handle on drug and alcohol deaths in Scotland is laughable and it`s not a great tactical move for their fans to bring it up.

Minimum unit pricing has just led to people with problematic drinking issues to switch to higher cost alcohol like Stella (that`s right, Stella is now "jakey juice") whilst subsidising the increased cost by cutting back on stuff like food and energy.

So the upshot is that folk with issues around alcohol now drink Stella in the dark instead of White Lightning with the lights on.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 15:42

The fans of the SNP always like to drag England into excuses for home grown failings.
And why not; Elsie, Scoot and the rest of those they vote for have been doing it for years.

Post Edited (Sat 01 Jul 15:43)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 15:59

We had a UK minister in Westminster the other day saying that Scotland does not take its share of refugees when in fact we take more than the UK average per head of population. That`s a breach of the ministerial code. Why did he feel the need to bring Scotland in to a matter that`s reserved to Westminster?

You never comment on the performance or behaviour of Westminster ministers, Parboiled. Maybe you would have a bit more credibility if you did. All we get from you is SNP Bad and childish name-calling.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 16:29

"Why bring England into it?"

It needs explanation ?

Because that`s the comparison that is used to evaluate the success (?) of the Scottish minimum unit pricing policy.

England doesn`t have it and their incidence of alcohol related deaths is higher than Scotland - but it`s still on the rise here.

What should it be evaluated against ?

Post Edited (Sat 01 Jul 16:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 16:55

Meanwhile, while you party poopers pontificate the Toon co-op tills are merrily ringing away as pizza and Buds are snapped up.

Think I’ll get a freebie for the free ad?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 17:08

Budweiser is minging.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 17:14

The discussion from Good Morning Scotland on 27th June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001n7l1

Starts around 2:13:30 - the observations from Dr. Jacob Adams come in around 2:17:48

He`s the one who suggests it`s legitimate to evaluate Scotland in comparison to England - Senior Director of Biostatistical Sciences at Clinical Research Premier Research.

BA (Hons) and PhD Cambridge, plus an MSc and BSc from other institutions - maybe he knows a wee bit more on the topic than we do ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 17:17

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 1 Jul 14:57

Says the man who starts a topic about a fairly reasonable deal on beer and pizza and uses it to have a go at our Government
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 17:28

Quote:

Wotsit, Sat 1 Jul 15:22

The idea that the Scottish government has got a handle on drug and alcohol deaths in Scotland is laughable and it`s not a great tactical move for their fans to bring it up.

Minimum unit pricing has just led to people with problematic drinking issues to switch to higher cost alcohol like Stella (that`s right, Stella is now "jakey juice") whilst subsidising the increased cost by cutting back on stuff like food and energy.

So the upshot is that folk with issues around alcohol now drink Stella in the dark instead of White Lightning with the lights on.

Sorry, but that`s complete nonsense.

People will strong addictions will always seek something out to feed their habit whether that`s alcohol, drugs or even hand sanitiser!

Minimum unit pricing has seen credible reductions in alcohol related harm with the biggest reductions being in the most deprived areas of Scotland.

I`ll say it a millions times that I`m not a political person and not a supporter of the SNP, but this is a pretty big deal...though I`d give credit to the national health body rather than the SNP!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 17:37

Edited to add that Frosty Jack`s would still be cheaper to get tanked on than Stella when comparing units/£. It`s even cheaper than the cheapo French lager in ASDA!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 18:01

Quote:

Wotsit, Sat 1 Jul 15:22

Funny thing about Stella. Used to be 5.2 abv. Reduced a few years back to 5.0 abv. And since reduced to 4.6 abv.

Stella is no longer a high strength option. Don`t think anyone is drinking Stella as a way to get quickly drunk.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neil_Philp  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 22:23

You had me at Beer and Pizza

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 22:27

On the Stella front it wasn`t that it was particularly strong that was the problem, there`s something in there that doesn`t react well with certain folk (can`t remember which ingredient it is) and can send them a bit more loopy than other beers/lagers. It`s similar to Buckfast in that regard, the combination of the uppers and downers in alcohol and caffeine can have a stronger impact on folk than other alcohol of an equivalent strength.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Jul 18:04

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sat 1 Jul 22:27

On the Stella front it wasn`t that it was particularly strong that was the problem, there`s something in there that doesn`t react well with certain folk (can`t remember which ingredient it is) and can send them a bit more loopy than other beers/lagers. It`s similar to Buckfast in that regard, the combination of the uppers and downers in alcohol and caffeine can have a stronger impact on folk than other alcohol of an equivalent strength.

Sorry but I think that`s an urban myth.

What ingredients are in Stella beer?

For a Distinctive Taste. Stella Artois is brewed with just four ingredients: water; malted barley; maize and most importantly the finest Saaz hops. It`s these hops that set Stella Artois apart.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 2 Jul 19:29

Quote:

moviescot, Sun 2 Jul 18:04

Quote:

For a Distinctive Taste. Stella Artois is brewed with just four ingredients: water; malted barley; maize and most importantly the finest Saaz hops. It`s these hops that set Stella Artois apart.

I think Stella is 4.5% as opposed to most other lagers, which are usually 4%, so 8 pts of Stella = 9 pts of a 4% lager. Either way, I think you`d be pissed as a fart in a bottle. 😃

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 2 Jul 20:12

Parboiled enjoys Bud? Shouldn`t be surprising. Awful stuff
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Jul 09:45

What ingredients are in Stella beer

I think Stella is 4.5% as opposed to most other lagers, which are usually 4%, so 8 pts of Stella = 9 pts of a 4% lager. Either way, I think you`d be pissed as a fart in a bottle. 😃

Not strictly true either.

Is 5% strong lager?

Pilsner and lager have an ABV of around 4.8% to 6.0%, with most mainstream lagers around 5% ABV
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Mon 3 Jul 10:43

Slightly off on a tangent but the Triple filtered Stella is tremendous and doesn`t give that horrible groggy morning after feeling.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Mon 3 Jul 11:00

What type of pizza?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Jul 11:12

Their regular own brand pizzas. Basically you are getting two for a fiver, saving couple of quid, and the beers for nowt. Last time I used a the offer it was 4 bottles San Miguel

Post Edited (Mon 03 Jul 12:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 3 Jul 17:34

Quote:

moviescot, Sun 2 Jul 18:04

Quote:

I`m trying to find the article that covered it as I waw surprised when I read it as I always just assumed the whole wife beater thing was an urban myth and if the same people were drinking any other same strength larger in the same volumes as folk were drinking Stella then that lager would have had the same impact but the thing I read said Stella was potentially worse for some people. It really surprised me. I`m trying to track it down.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Jul 18:12

I thought it was called that because of a Streetcar called desire?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Jul 19:23

"I think Stella is 4.5% as opposed to most other lagers, which are usually 4%, so 8 pts of Stella = 9 pts of a 4% lager. Either way, I think you`d be pissed as a fart in a bottle. 😃"

Domestic brewed Stella is 4.6 ABV - the Belgian 5.2 ABV is available from some import dealers.

There has been a recent trend amongst a few UK brewers to reduce the strength of some favourite brands - to reduce the excise duty which in turns keeps cost down (a bit) for the consumer.

Old Speckled Hen (superb ale) is in that group now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Mon 3 Jul 20:25

Leffe Blonde also seems to have been downgraded from 6.6% to 6.0%. Drinkflation.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Mon 3 Jul 21:31

Estrella uk 4.6%. Estrella Espana 5.4%. I found out the hard way.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Jul 11:47

Scoot has been reported to UK Statistics watchdog for alleged MUP mince.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Jul 13:35

You need to stop reading the gutter press.

The statistics are correct. They indicate that MUP has likely reduced deaths.

The Tories have reported the FM for stating MUP has saved lives. This would be pretty hard to evidence but the data would suggest it has had an impact.

I`d suggest this isn`t within the remit of the stats authority. Their job is to make sure the way data is captured and analysed meets their standards. PHS is the data owner, which is a health agency, not a government one.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 4 Jul 16:57

This is more like it :-))

Kestrel Super Premium Lager,
4 x 500ml Cans
£15.49

Sweet toffee and honeyed twists, turns and loops combine with a concentrated wine-like fruitiness, feisty light rum, swirls of malt and decidedly ripe dessert apple richness

Best served chilled. Pairs perfectly with red meats, strong cheese and rich desserts

9% ABV

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net