DAFC.net
Home 09 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Some music to go by...
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 2 Jan 06:38

Now that we have entered 2024, I realise I will be 70 this year, a number that truly defines one as an "auld fogey". It is sudden; one minute, you are 50 and busy, hopefully living a meaningful life, and the next, you are a pensioner searching for the means to live.

With so many friends, family, and acquaintances having died these past few years, I feel the older I get, the more reflective I become.

I suppose it was during the Covid lockdown that I began to attend virtual funerals online and started to take note of the music that people were selecting to remember the deceased. I`d like to think that the deceased had some say in the selection. I have a recurring dream that my mischievous offspring might send me to eternity to the sound of "Comfortably Numb" or, please God no, "Another one bites the dust".

This dream has prompted me to make my selection before it is too late, and I have picked five songs, each representing a different aspect of life. I would like to know what music you folks would want to be remembered by.

Anyway, here`s my picks:

1. "Sitting in the Dock of the Bay" – Otis Redding. I wanted to go to sea from a young age, and this song inspired me. I went to sea for seven years before pursuing a more conventional career ashore.
2. "The Cat`s in the Cradle" – Harry Chapin. It`s a beautiful song about parenthood and opportunities lost. It applied as much to my relationship with my father as it does to my son, daughter, and, indeed, my four grandsons.
3. "Who knows where the time goes?" – Sandy Denny. It is a song that invariably brings a tear to my eye. I lost my wife to cancer 15 years ago, and I guess each word in this song weighs heavy on me. The message is to make the most of every moment with those you love.
4. "Safe in the Harbour" – Eric Bogle. The chorus says it all: But to every sailor comes time to drop anchor, Haul in the sails and make the lines fast, You deep water dreamer, your journey is over, You`re safe in the harbour at last.
5. Bluebell Polka – Jimmy Shand and His Band. What better way to end the service than to be transported to EEP on a late afternoon marching out to this jaunty auld tune? Setting off to eternity with thoughts of a good win by the Pars.

😊

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Some music to go by...
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 2 Jan 11:05

Songbird.....Fleetwood Mac

Right down the line.....Gerry Rafferty

Into the Valley.........Skids

Sandy Denny`s song is very poignant and a real tearjerker, sorry for your loss Oz, having just celebrated our Golden Wedding it`s a huge chunk of your life!❤️😮‍💨
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 2 Jan 14:15

Hi Ozpar,

It seems we are the same age, lost our wives at the same stage of our life and have a great affection for both the Pars and Sandy Denny. I saw Sandy with Fairport Convention at the Usher Hall not long before her untimely death at the age of 31. She apparently smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish, but that didn’t stop her singing like an angel. My own favourite by Sandy is her version of ‘I’m a Dreamer.’

I’ll settle for two funeral songs of contrasting moods. Leonard Cohen’s ‘Bird on a Wire’ is a reflection on the life lived, written in such powerful biblical language. And my equivalent of the Bluebell Polka to guide mourners in good spirits towards the exit would be Woody Guthrie’s ‘This Land is your Land.’

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Tue 2 Jan 18:27

From Capercaillie`s `Crosswinds` album, a beautiful song called `Am Buachaille Ban` (The Female Shepherd.) My wife and I first heard it over the music system in the cafe across the road from Dunvegan Castle, and it`s like a musical representation of the loch and the land around Loch Dunvegan, where we spent lots of memorable holidays. It was the highlight on a cassette of music we provided to the registry office to play while we waited to be married:

https://youtu.be/QIHqebR-jfk?t=2

Post Edited (Tue 02 Jan 18:28)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 2 Jan 20:50

Superb OAUTP .. Karen is a beautiful woman with a beautiful voice we had so many great Scottish women singers around the same time ..

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Wed 3 Jan 00:26

Buspass 👍

I can`t think of a lovelier piece of music and singing - full of feeling - both happy and sad.

Sometimes I`ve been to a funeral and, although you know the music had meaning for the deceased, it just doesn`t fit the occasion. I like to think that one would.

(It maybe helps being a Scottish song, and with words in gaelic which just sound lovely; but because I don`t know gaelic, they`re not too heavy.)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 3 Jan 11:03

The theme from Braveheart - James Horner, and Raspberry Beret ~ Prince

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”

Post Edited (Wed 03 Jan 20:17)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Wed 3 Jan 21:36

Not to be played at my funeral but this thread made me think of one of my favourite songs.
The Funeral by Drugstore.

https://youtu.be/d30CYTG0oro?si=uiiy9sPiVUEyKrcu
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Thu 4 Jan 01:18

Played this at my mums

https://youtu.be/qcQ3iegpZTc?si=Rmj3CZD3dNF5qZZE

This plus Orion by Metallica and I`ll go happy.

Post Edited (Thu 04 Jan 01:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Thu 4 Jan 12:08

“ I saw Sandy with Fairport Convention at the Usher Hall not long before her untimely death at the age of 31.”

Can’t have been that close to her demise Sammer. Sandy left Fairport for the second, and last time, at the end of 1975 - some 2 and a half years before she died.

Fabulous singer - my own personal favourites are the Sea, Full Moon and the North Star Grassman and the Ravens. Fotheringay is also a beautiful, heartbreaking song.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Thu 4 Jan 15:04

Time to Say Goodbye is played quite often at funerals I have attended but it has special meaning to me as I have seen Andrei Boccelli sing this at the Teatro de Silencio under a full moon in the Tuscan hills.

My second song would be Let it Be by the Beatles.

I would like a lone piper playing Highland Cathedral and my hymn would be "How Great thou art"

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 4 Jan 17:49

Quote:

OzPar, Tue 2 Jan 06:38

Now that we have entered 2024, I realise I will be 70 this year, a number that truly defines one as an "auld fogey". It is sudden; one minute, you are 50 and busy, hopefully living a meaningful life, and the next, you are a pensioner searching for the means to live.

With so many friends, family, and acquaintances having died these past few years, I feel the older I get, the more reflective I become.

I suppose it was during the Covid lockdown that I began to attend virtual funerals online and started to take note of the music that people were selecting to remember the deceased. I`d like to think that the deceased had some say in the selection. I have a recurring dream that my mischievous offspring might send me to eternity to the sound of "Comfortably Numb" or, please God no, "Another one bites the dust".

This dream has prompted me to make my selection before it is too late, and I have picked five songs, each representing a different aspect of life. I would like to know what music you folks would want to be remembered by.

Anyway, here`s my picks:

1."Sitting in the Dock of the Bay" – Otis Redding. I wanted to go to sea from a young age, and this song inspired me. I went to sea for seven years before pursuing a more conventional career ashore.
2."The Cat`s in the Cradle" – Harry Chapin. It`s a beautiful song about parenthood and opportunities lost. It applied as much to my relationship with my father as it does to my son, daughter, and, indeed, my four grandsons.
3."Who knows where the time goes?" – Sandy Denny. It is a song that invariably brings a tear to my eye. I lost my wife to cancer 15 years ago, and I guess each word in this song weighs heavy on me. The message is to make the most of every moment with those you love.
4."Safe in the Harbour" – Eric Bogle. The chorus says it all: But to every sailor comes time to drop anchor, Haul in the sails and make the lines fast, You deep water dreamer, your journey is over, You`re safe in the harbour at last.
5.Bluebell Polka – Jimmy Shand and His Band. What better way to end the service than to be transported to EEP on a late afternoon marching out to this jaunty auld tune? Setting off to eternity with thoughts of a good win by the Pars.

😊

What a song from Sandy Denny. I found this song through YouTube when I was mulling around. She died way too young. What a voice complemented by the guitar

Post Edited (Thu 04 Jan 17:49)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Fri 5 Jan 08:14

Had mine chosen 10 years ago(thought I had cancer but turned out to be a sinus problem) and even have a folder on computer called funeral with
Faith of the Heart(Star Trek Enterprise theme),
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life and
The Birdie Song.

The last to be played for leaving to cheer people up rather than be miserable.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: adj27  
Date:   Fri 5 Jan 08:40

Bert Jansch - Angie
John Martyn - Couldn’t Love You More
Grateful Dead - Brokedown Palace
Bob Dylan - Every Grain of Sand
The Skids - Into the Valley

Andy
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net