DAFC.net
Home 27 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Shingles Vaccine
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 20 Jan 18:03

I received a letter from NHS Fife last week inviting me to have the above. I`m not particularly minded to go. I was a good boy during Covid and had 4 doses of the vaccine because I didn`t want to be unconsciously passing the virus to any vulnerable people I might come in contact with if I caught the virus and was asymptomatic,

Of course, the narrative re the Covid vaccine changed more often than the virus itself; at first it was at least 95% efficient and stopped transmission, only it didn`t and gradually the numbers for protection and transmission got smaller and smaller.

Anyway, anyone on here had either shingles (not a lot of fun, I`ve heard) or the vaccine? Is it tried and trusted and worth getting or should I bin the invitation?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Shingles Vaccine
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Sat 20 Jan 18:33

Had shingles once and Covid 3 times. I would gladly have Covid another 3 times over shinglesโ€ฆ.brutal!
Only got 1 Covid vaccine and had a bad reaction to it as my faces skin started breaking up and the doctor had never seen anything like it so I had 4 doctors round me trying to figure out what it was๐Ÿ˜…

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 20 Jan 19:04

I`ve had shingles - uncomfortable to say the least. I`m sure they offered the shingles vaccine with the annual flu vaccine recently and I had it with no ill effects.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 20 Jan 19:13

Still waiting for an appointment for shingles jab, was advised they would be done by June last year.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jan 20:02

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 20 Jan 19:04

I`ve had shingles - uncomfortable to say the least. I`m sure they offered the shingles vaccine with the annual flu vaccine recently and I had it with no ill effects.

Can you clarify, please, eck? Did you have the vaccine before or after getting shingles? Can you get shingles more than once? I`m trying to work out if the vaccine helped you or not.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jan 20:17

Ah Iโ€™m to young to be offered the vaccine yet so itโ€™s all you coffin dodgers first!

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jan 20:26

I had the shingles years ago, GGR. I don`t know if a vaccine was available then. It was after I retired that I was offered the vaccine.

I had chicken pox as a kid and I thought that gave protection against shingles but it doesn`t. Similarly, I don`t think having had shingles once gives you protection against getting it again. That`s why I took the vaccine.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jan 20:40

Honestly why are we all getting vaccines nowadays?

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sat 20 Jan 22:21

Quote:

Alter Ego, Sat 20 Jan 20:40

Why would we not?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sun 21 Jan 01:32

Quote:

We have always had vaccines tbf, the only thing that has changed is the rise of conspiracy theorists and spread of misinformation upon social media that means theres now more debate about taking vaccines.

No vaccine will come without errors - but it wont stop people driving cars or popping pain killers or antibiotics - same chance of something going wrong with them and vaccine - its all by chance.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Jan 07:26

Quote:

Alter Ego, Sat 20 Jan 20:17

Ah Iโ€™m to young to be offered the vaccine yet so itโ€™s all you coffin dodgers first!

Cheeky pup! ๐Ÿ˜  I`m older than you but hardly a coffin dodger.

I don`t think we can lump all vaccines together in a "one size fits all." The Covid vaccines were rushed through, without the usual meticulous testing period, because of the pandemic and we were all put under moral pressure to be vaccinated. My grandkids caught it twice, each time after going back to school following a lockdown. On the first occasion, neither parents or grandparents caught the virus. I put it down to all 4 of us having had 2 doses of the vaccine. We all caught it 6 months later, by which time we`d had a 3rd vaccine dose. Go figure. We were told that this was due to the virus mutating to a more transmissible form - Omicron. Perhaps so. Who knows? Maybe the vaccines weren`t all they were cracked up to be?

I`m not sure why the shingles vaccine is now being rolled out to we senior citizens and why an auld fogey like Lochgelly Albert has been ignored. Maybe he`s one of the people Boris Johnson meant when he said, "I`m not having another lockdown. What`s the point? All these old people are going to die anyway." ๐Ÿ˜ฑ As far as I`m aware, there isn`t a shingles epidemic at the moment, so I don`t feel under any pressure to rush off to be vaccinated.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 21 Jan 08:36

Quote:

To avoid illness - why do you think?

Shingles vaccine programme started over a decade ago so not exactly new news

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Jan 10:26

Cheers GG!๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜Ž
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sun 21 Jan 10:48

I had it my early 20s, worst thing I`ve ever had. Not sure what brought it on for me but I think it can be triggered when you`re a bit run down or suffering from something else.

So, the older you are the more succeptible you are too pretty much everything, being vaccinated against shingles helps to avoid piling one ailment on top of another when dealing with the first might be problematic enough.

On another note: I wonder why there`s a big measles outbreak on at the moment?๐Ÿค”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Jan 11:13

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 21 Jan 10:26

Cheers GG!๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜Ž

You`re most welcome, LA. ๐Ÿ™‚

Auld folk like you, refusing to die, probably cost that loveable rogue his job. ๐Ÿ˜ช

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Jan 18:34

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 21 Jan 11:13

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 21 Jan 10:26

Cheers GG!๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜Ž

You`re most welcome, LA. ๐Ÿ™‚

Auld folk like you, refusing to die, probably cost that loveable rogue his job. ๐Ÿ˜ช

Dinnae worry Covid had a good shot, along with Grant and Hughes, I was tettering on the brink!!!๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅถ

Post Edited (Sun 21 Jan 18:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 22 Jan 18:40

GG, can I ask if you get the flu jag every year?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Jan 18:50

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 22 Jan 18:40

GG, can I ask if you get the flu jag every year?

I`ve had it for several years now as I`m allegedly cardiopathic, but this year I went to my GP surgery and they said they don`t do them anymore, so I haven`t bothered arranging one elsewhere. C

Perhaps foolish, but I`ve had my fill of vaccines since Covid.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 22 Jan 20:42

When you think back to my day we had poliomyelitis .. measles .. mumps .. chicken pox (which can mutate to shingles) and whooping cough .. I had measles .. mumps and chicken pox one after the other .. I was off school for weeks

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 22 Jan 20:51

You forgot the Black Death, BPP

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Jan 06:29

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Mon 22 Jan 20:51

You forgot the Black Death, BPP

That Raymie`s a cheeky pup, BPP. He`s obviously got you mixed up with Methusalah. ๐Ÿ˜„

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 23 Jan 08:39

That made me laugh GG/Raymie

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 24 Jan 21:56

I got a flu jab from the doctor at the tail end of last year and immediately caught the flu...

:)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Jan 22:50

I was reading today about the outbreak of measles in England and Wales. There were over 200 cases confirmed in the last quarter of last year but in Scotland there was only one case confirmed in the whole of 2023. The reason is the high uptake of vaccination in Scotland where it was over 95%. That more or less guarantees elimination apparently.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sun 28 Jan 21:19

Quote:

parsfan, Sun 21 Jan 10:48

On another note: I wonder why there`s a big measles outbreak on at the moment?๐Ÿค”

The lower the vaccination rate, the higher the incidence of the disease. Things are getting particularly bad in Eastern Europe, where conspiracy theories are rife.

https://www.unicef.org/romania/press-releases/measles-cases-europe-and-central-asia-skyrocket-3000-cent-year-compared-last#:~:text=Romania%2C%20which%20announced%20last%20week,immunisation%20coverage%20across%20the%20region.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sun 28 Jan 21:34

Quote:

GG Riva, Sat 20 Jan 18:03
Anyway, anyone on here had either shingles (not a lot of fun, I`ve heard) or the vaccine? Is it tried and trusted and worth getting or should I bin the invitation?

I saw the pain my dad went through with recurring bouts of shingles, and I wouldn`t wish it on anyone.

I haven`t had shingles myself, although having had chickenpox as a child I am susceptible to its being reactivated as shingles, so I had the vaccine a couple of months ago without any problem.

The shingles vaccine has been around for a long time and side effects are minimal - it doesn`t eliminate the risk of shingles but it significantly reduces it - although it seems the benefits are lower for those over 80.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[

Post Edited (Sun 28 Jan 21:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ghoulz  
Date:   Mon 29 Jan 22:01

Shingles can take your eyesight.

Your friendly neighbourhood Ghoulz.

The Whole Story of The Famous Kinema Ballroom
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 30 Jan 01:57

Whatever happened to whooping cough?
It was very popular in the 70s.
You never hear of it these days ๐Ÿค”

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Tue 30 Jan 09:45

Quote:

widtink, Tue 30 Jan 01:57

Did it not get eradicated from the UK? Been replaced now by more frequent bouts of Bronchitis and now the new 100 day cough
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Tue 30 Jan 09:54

Quote:

widtink, Tue 30 Jan 01:57

Pregnant women are offered pertussis (aka whooping cough) vaccination so they pass on protection to their newborn. The baby is then vaccinated themselves at 8 weeks as part of their usual vaccinations.

Has been that way for some years so protection from birth means the incidence should be much lower than it used to be.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Tue 30 Jan 14:56

I nearly died from whooping cough as an infant in the 70โ€™s, full on boy in the bubble stuff then a period of sleeping in the kitchen with parents on night long duty boiling the kettle for steam so I could breath but luckily barely remember the worst of it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Tue 30 Jan 20:31

Iโ€™ll think the Shingles vaccine has been about for a while, tried and tested. I had Shingles in my late teens and it was hellish. A wee patch on the centre of my back. Iโ€™d recommend taking the vaccine. Funnily enough I seen something about the vaccine recently and looked up to see if I could get it because Iโ€™d had it before but you need to be over 65 to just get it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MessiPar  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 16:42

I had shingles 15 months ago and although it was uncomfortable, I had it under arm a small bit at elbow and on scapula, it wasn`t unbearable. You can get nerve damage and a few times at night I was lying with my arm in the air due to shooting pains. I think I was lucky as a guy I know had it in side of his head and said it made him look like John Merrick and when he went to doctor the doctor said he was lucky he came in when he did as his occurence could have been fatal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 18:56

Lunacy vaccine should be available for the person that thought this rule up.

Youโ€™re eligible for the free shingles vaccine if you were aged 70 or 65 on 1 September 2023. This excludes people who were aged 66 to 69 on this date.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/healthy-living/immunisation/vaccines/shingles-vaccine

Post Edited (Thu 01 Feb 08:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Snevets  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 12:11

My 15 year old son had shingles over the festive period. He has autism and cannot speak but he was in a lot of discomfort. He had a really sore looking rash on his upper right arm. Too young for a vaccine and too young to be seen by a pharamacist we found out too

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
ยฉ 2021-- DAFC.net