DAFC.net
Home 27 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Kinema/Ballroom/Velocity
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 22 Mar 21:08

It appears to have finally sold. Quite an expensive building so hopefully something will be done with it rather than it sit empty awaiting development like Sinkys next door or Johnson`s over the road.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Kinema/Ballroom/Velocity
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 22 Mar 23:17

Will be another failed project no doubt. Shame that so many of the clubs from my childhood are gone - Johnsons, Harlem, Lourenzos, Ballroom and then the likes of the Brasshouse and Life are not what they used to be either 🤷🏻‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 23 Mar 06:11

Clubs are old hat nowadays. You can meet umpteen potential partners from your sofa so the need to get wasted in a club in the hope of finding your new flame are largely gone. My club times were in Edinburgh and they`re all gone - Revolution, Gaia, The Ark (it was called something else but everyone still called it that), Cavendish, Eros, Massa, (original) Bongo, Studio 24. I think even Opium is maybe gone now and has split in two like it used to be.

People are more interested in pubs, live music, entertainment.

Somewhere like the Kinema would be a great entertainment venue but I would expect it`ll remain a restaurant given how much they spent on the refurb. I`d love it back as a live music venue but it`s an awkward size for attracting bands.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sat 23 Mar 08:19

I’m intrigued by “The Ark” - did the clubbers go in two by two?
As for the sofa, in my day that was the desired destination not where you started from!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 23 Mar 09:29

Cinderella Rockerfellas and Chevy’s were where I spent my dancing days 💃

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 23 Mar 10:34

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 23 Mar 08:19

I’m intrigued by “The Ark” - did the clubbers go in two by two?
As for the sofa, in my day that was the desired destination not where you started from!

I heard it was flooded with cheap drink that tasted like rainwater. They got 40 days to sort themselves out but ran aground on a mountain of debt.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Mar 10:37

You didn’t lose a slipper by any chance…?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 23 Mar 11:35

😘

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 23 Mar 13:46

In the Swinging Sixties there was a place called The Place in Edinburgh’s Victoria Street. A disco in old cellars as I recall.
My place of work was just up the road from there. Now and then some of the more sophisticated city lads would kindly include my spotty 17 year old self in going there on a Friday, after a few after work drinks and a quick bite someplace.
Not doon the Grassmaket though…that place was definitely a no go area in those days!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neil_Philp  
Date:   Sun 24 Mar 17:24

Had many a good night there.
Some great memories made with my pals back in the day

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 30 Mar 20:01

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 23 Mar 13:46

In the Swinging Sixties there was a place called The Place in Edinburgh’s Victoria Street. A disco in old cellars as I recall.
My place of work was just up the road from there. Now and then some of the more sophisticated city lads would kindly include my spotty 17 year old self in going there on a Friday, after a few after work drinks and a quick bite someplace.
Not doon the Grassmaket though…that place was definitely a no go area in those days!

What was the scene in the grass market in the 60s

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 31 Mar 09:29

I was warned not to go down there and never did. I only worked in the Victoria St office for a couple of years anyway, we got moved out to a new building in Chessor Avenue

You’ve actually prompted my curiosity about the Grassmarket’s history though, and a fascinating one it is. Very dark, murders, executions, Burke and Hare type villains etc.

According to the article I’ve read there used to be weekly cattle markets there until 1911, the area declined after that and became the haunt of petty criminals, vagrants, problem drinkers, with a number of hostels for the homeless.to quote “even as recently as the 1970’s it was known as an area to be avoided because of the anti social behaviour of meths drinkers”

“Since then improvements to the area such as pedestrianisation and the emergence of a now thriving cafe culture it is now a popular destination for locals and tourists alike and boasts some of the best pubs in the city.”

I must pop down for a look!

Ps my old office building is now a trendy Virgin Hotel

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 31 Mar 09:54

Grassmarket was pretty seedy late sixties and definitely not the tourist trap it is now.

I worked in Lothian House at the time and never really ventured off Lothian Road, which was thriving at the time with bars and boutiques.

Last time I was at the Grassmarket was mid eighties
when my daughter started at Edinburgh College of Art, she shared a flat up at the "pubic triangle " which really was and probably still is seedy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 31 Mar 11:20

I don`t think it was as bad when I was at uni in the late 90s but there was still a lot of proper tramps with alcohol problems going about who congregated in the Grassmarket. The pubs were alright but it wasn`t exactly glamorous
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 31 Mar 11:49

There was a hostel for the homeless called the Castle Trades Hotel at the east end of the Grassmarket which attracted some unsavoury characters. The whole area was gradually `gentrified` to become a tourist attraction. I think you can get a deep-fried Mars Bar there now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Wed 3 Apr 18:56

When I first started working with the BTS, in 91,our processing lab was at the wee roundabout where the grassmarket meets The Cowgate. It`s a hostel now. The drunks and the down an outs, used to congregate in our car park. The amount of times that you`d come out and there`d be someone p ishing on your car or a human present left in between cars, was almost a daily occurance. Skanky cants

Post Edited (Wed 03 Apr 19:00)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net