DAFC.net
Home 30 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Smoking Ban
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 05:50

Will Sunak`s proposed smoking ban really happen, and why did so many mainly Tory MPs vote against it or abstain? Ties to Big Tobacco companies, perhaps?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68832709

The introduction of the ban on smoking in enclosed public places has been an outstanding success, with the number of smokers gradually decreasing from around 36% of the population to an estimated 13% now, according to the BBC.

Will such a ban be the precursor to a smoke-free Britain, or will it play into the hands of contraband sales?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smoking Ban
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 08:20

Was in Menorca about 16 years ago and my usual corner store had empty shelves where the fags used to be. New law,you could only get them from licenced tobacco stores, over 18’s only.
Off to Ciutedalla on the bus, lots of Brits wandering about looking to get their cartons of cheap ciggies!
Don’t know if this made a significant dent in sales of the evil weed, or deterring young folk in Spain taking up the habit though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 08:42

At first I thought this was a good idea but have slowly started to change my mind as it could be argued that it intervened in people`s civil liberties.

The government, in my humble opinion, have not yet exhausted all avenues of prevention or reduction.

Raising the tax on cigarettes by 10% - 20% year-on-year may have been a bigger deterrent and ultimately pricing them out of consumer demand.

I suspect the timing could have contributed to the governments own target to reduce inflation at the moment.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 08:52

This argument about civil liberties is a nonsense in my opinion....ironically it is being pushed by MPs who often commented on "woke nonsense".

There is enough evidence that....
- this stuff doesn`t do you any good
- this stuff does you harm
- it is good for tobacco firms who make a fortune out of it. They are literally not pushing this for the good of our health
- it wastes a lot of health service resources on avoidable stuff
- there are enough non smokers who get lung disease, and even if not all are caused by tobacco, I`m pretty confident some will be

On a personal level I still hate walking down the street and having to inhale someone else`s smoke. Where`s my liberty for clean air?

Well done Rishi Sunak for pushing this. Can`t come quickly enough in my view.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 09:09

Will never, ever be enforced 😂 and when it is it will just cause unwanted problems for shop workers etc.

imagine the scenario where someone born on 31st December 2008 wants to buy fags and then someone born on 1st January 2009 is next to them wanting them to - I mean, thats just a recipe for disaster.

Also, look at the amount of school kids using ecigs and disposable vapes these days - your meant to be 21 to buy them…..seen kids that look as young as 10 brazenly walking down the street in groups puffing on these things…..

Its a joke
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 09:48

Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 17 Apr 08:20

Was in Menorca about 16 years ago and my usual corner store had empty shelves where the fags used to be. New law,you could only get them from licenced tobacco stores, over 18’s only.
Off to Ciutedalla on the bus, lots of Brits wandering about looking to get their cartons of cheap ciggies!
Don’t know if this made a significant dent in sales of the evil weed, or deterring young folk in Spain taking up the habit though.

They just smoke themselves to death in Tenerife now, cheap as chips and readily available!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 11:02

Quite supportive of this ban but it seems crazy that as we rightly continue to get tougher on tobacco there seems to be a momentum gathering behind legalising cannabis.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 11:51

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 17 Apr 11:02

Quite supportive of this ban but it seems crazy that as we rightly continue to get tougher on tobacco there seems to be a momentum gathering behind legalising cannabis.

Because cannabis has been proven to have various medical benefits?
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 11:58

And a good deal of negative health effects.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 12:18

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 17 Apr 11:58

A bit like alcohol then?

Then you have processed meats, gambling , caffeine, contact sports, prescription drugs etc etc. All are proven to be detrimental to you on one level or another-should they all be illegal, too?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 14:08

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 17 Apr 11:58

Tell that to people with debilitating illnesses that THC helps alleviate...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 14:27

The main difference between marijuana and tobacco is that there are zero positive health benefits for fags.

Marijuana has remarkably few negative health implications for fully developed adults if it isn`t smoked, however alternative consumption routes are less available to folk who might want them due to the illicit nature of it.

I`d argue that prohibition has caused more damage than consumption when you think about the lives destroyed by criminal gangs and the legal system.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"

Post Edited (Wed 17 Apr 14:27)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 16:34

I certainly couldn`t have any argument with derivatives of cannabis being prescribed by a medical professional to alleviate pain and suffering and I`ll bow to your knowledge Wotsit of marijuana being reasonably safe as long as it isn`t smoked. If it was legalised it would have to be done so along side a massive public health campaign to help discourage people becoming addicted to the substance. It would also, like alcohol is now, need to become socially and morally unacceptable to drive while having the drug in your system or at least in your bloodstream over the legal limit.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 16:57

I`m pretty ignorant to the whole thing but to me this will likely go one way - dodgy imports from mainland Europe and a black market trade. A better solution would be to approach it like other countries and only have these substances available in licenced premises that ONLY sell these products rather than having them in every supermarket, corner shop or petrol station. That way sales are much more controlled, the availability is reduced and the likelihood of underage sales is better enforced (loss of an entire income stream for a business is a bigger risk than losing a licence for tobacco sales in a business also selling other goods).

Same applies to other drugs too. You will never stop people using things like cannabis so why not provide it in a safer and more controlled way and tax it? Right now for cannabis many will be smoking resin that`s made up of god knows what.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 19:40

Tbh if you know the right people who know people that can get cheap fags,booze and drugs then banning anything is never going to work. It just makes the guys richer who are breaking the law…plus our new fast scale immigrants coming into the country have all the info on selling certain cigarettes/booze for a good price.
This may stop young people smoking cigs/vapes but you can get 20 cigs for around the £6 a pack..they are not fake either🤷

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 18:19

Quote:

Alter Ego, Thu 18 Apr 19:40

Tbh if you know the right people who know people that can get cheap fags,booze and drugs then banning anything is never going to work. It just makes the guys richer who are breaking the law…plus our new fast scale immigrants coming into the country have all the info on selling certain cigarettes/booze for a good price.
This may stop young people smoking cigs/vapes but you can get 20 cigs for around the £6 a pack..they are not fake either🤷

Agreed. Banning stuff like fag`s n booze just makes criminals richer.
Better to decriminalised and control
I hardly ever see anyone smoking nowadays.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 18:37

An entire generation of smokers has largely moved to vapes. One day in Edinburgh I saw a tiny lad puffing on one. There seems to be almost no control and god knows what`s in some of them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 22:59

We have lost our vanguard.

Next up:

Booze.
Cakes.
Sunshine.
Driving.
Flying.
Life.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 01:18

Quote:

Bletchley_Par, Sat 27 Apr 22:59

Next up:

Booze.
Cakes.
Sunshine.
Driving.
Flying.
Life.

Oh no, banning a substance that has no positive to it and that won`t affect me due to age, however will my tiny Trumpist mind cope?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 16:52

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 28 Apr 01:18

Quote:

Bletchley_Par, Sat 27 Apr 22:59

Next up:

Booze.
Cakes.
Sunshine.
Driving.
Flying.
Life.

Oh no, banning a substance that has no positive to it and that won`t affect me due to age, however will my tiny Trumpist mind cope?

How do cakes have no positive to them?!?! 🤔😂
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net