DAFC.net
Home 03 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Car Insurance
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 08:22

Has anybody renewed their car insurance recently? Mine is due in a few week`s time. Last year, it increased by less than £10. I got a shock when I received my new quote. It`s an increase of 30% on last year`s. They can go and sing for that. Last time they tried that nonsense, I made Mrs Riva the policyholder, so I`ll probably switch it back again and if that doesn`t bring the cost down, I`ll find myself a new insurance company. I do like Direct Line as my no claims bonus is protected even if we have 2 claims in a calendar year - not that we`re planning on doing so. 🙂

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Car Insurance
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 08:30

I just renewed mine GG

My old renewal was up quite a bit and it did not include breakdown cover

I have gone with the Bank of Scotland who I bank with Full comp protected plus really good get you home breakdown cover with the RAC

Cheaper than my old insurer

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 08:47

Certainly worth shopping around and telling them if you get a better quote (online quotation services are really useful).

One of ours didn`t go up much at all this year and they have been extremely flexible with a newly qualified driver and giving them up to 90 days cover for a really small increase.

Different story of our other car which has more than doubled but I think that`s due to an outstanding claim that the other party has now reneged on their acceptance of blame (it`s 3 years old or something).

What I have noticed is that over the past 3 years or so, they would be flexible if you challenged their quote but they now seem to be a lot less flexible and will only shave a little bit off their quote.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 09:07

I use Compare the Market every year as every year my insurance company bumps up the price 30% - I normally change provider every year and spend pretty much the same amount of money each year………they try the begging act but only reduce it by 10% so pretty much cancel every year.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 09:23

My renewal is due in a month but I have already been quoted a price by my current insurer. I was with `Flow` but they are now part of Allianz and they are quoting a price which is an increase of 14% on last year. They seem very adamant that this is their best price and non-negotiable but I always use comparison websites and go with the cheapest provided cover is comparable. I`ve still got plenty time to do that. Insurance companies always want customers to renew early but what`s the point of that when you`re still covered by the existing policy?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 09:56

I tried them all wee eck .. direct line .. NFU etc They were all more expensive than the BOS .. If I wanted to add breakdown to my existing policy it would have been £70 more than the BOS and not as good cover

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 10:11

I changed cars at the end of last year, changing to a Hybrid.

I had insured through the RAC for years, this time they wanted 30% more, putting cost up to just under £1000.00 !!!!

Shopped around and also came up with BOS, still dearer but not exorbitantly.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 10:31

What I can`t my head around is the quotes received from an insurance company to renew - then find the same cover from them a decent bit cheaper if searched on Go Compare etc. !!!

How does that work ?

Post Edited (Tue 23 Apr 10:31)
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 11:53

Word of warning, don`t change your car or insurance mid term, the exit fees are f***ing ridiculous!🤬🤬🤬
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 12:52

All car insurance has gone up. Being blamed on EVs but I suspect it`s more a lack of proper monitoring of insurance firms and said firms taking the urine.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 15:16

My van almost doubled with Direct Line. I called them and we reduced my mileage by 5k a year which I did not use anyway and eventually got the same price as last year.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: auldpar  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 16:07

I switched to Saga a few years ago after a ridiculous quote from my former insurers. They were very reasonable and I renewed last month - still reasonable. They are easy to contact too - very short waiting time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 16:59

This sort of thing is something that always puzzles me as a business decision. Why not give your loyal, existing business the best rates you can? It should be at least as good as you are giving to new customers. Surely it`s easier to retain customers than attract new ones. Less administrative costs as well.
The only thing I can think of is that most customers just accept this and can`t be bothered moving so it`s then worth their while to pump up the renewal price
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 17:48

Because so many people forget to check. Most providers seem to have removed or hidden the ability to NOT auto-renew. They then allow you to renew online but you need to phone to cancel. They`re at it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 20:48

At it on a massive scale.
Try going through topcashback. Should get you an extra £30 or so discount.

GG, I'm not sure about putting down your missus as the policyholder unless she is the owner on the v5?

Post Edited (Tue 23 Apr 20:49)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 21:26

That doesn’t matter, when my wife and I went down to one car we rotated insurance every year to maintain both our no claims discount…
Insurers don’t really care if a spouse is the main driver but their other half is down as registered keeper/owner

I’ve since bought a van and used my NCD on that and for the last two years my wife has insured the car (which is in my name)

Post Edited (Tue 23 Apr 21:27)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 21:37

Hastings renewal quote £208 last year
£328 renewal?

Ehhh no.

£227 with RAC

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 07:50

If shopping around does not reduce costs enough increasing voluntary excess (while not preferable) will.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 11:41

Quote:

P, Wed 24 Apr 07:50

If shopping around does not reduce costs enough increasing voluntary excess (while not preferable) will.

Adding £100 voluntary excess reduced the quote by about £4

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 12:43

Quote:

Luxembourg Par, Wed 24 Apr 11:41

Quote:

P, Wed 24 Apr 07:50

Adding £100 voluntary excess reduced the quote by about £4

£300 reduced mine from £279 to £204. £100 isn’t really a material amount so wouldn’t expect it to move much.

Post Edited (Wed 24 Apr 12:43)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Back_oh_the_net  
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 16:35

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Tue 23 Apr 11:53

Word of warning, don`t change your car or insurance mid term, the exit fees are f***ing ridiculous!🤬🤬🤬

Depends who you are with I was with elephant up until last year and when I switched from my old style Audi A1 to the newer style mid term they never charged me anything
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 17:09

100% increase with Saga. Robbing bar stewards. Exit terminated
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 20:57

They do it on purpose because they know a fair few out there will just let it roll over not knowing any different and I imagine it’s still worth it even with those deciding to move away.

You get robbed everywhere these days.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 21:33

Finally renewed mine today. Original provider had raised the price by 55-60%. Ended up paying 20% more than last year`s price by going elsewhere. These guys are at it. Same with the supermarkets - quick to put prices up, slow to bring them down. The exception seems to be Aldi where prices seem to be reducing whilst Tesco are continuing to charge high or reduced prices only with a club card.

I suppose this is the issue when you have a small number of companies providing the essential services.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 21:58

Shop around every year using comparison sites. Must have saved thousands over the years. Current favourite is TopCashbackCompare which, I think, uses the same system as confused.com with the added bonus of £40 cashback.

Oddly it was cheaper this year for me to reduce the voluntary excess from £250 to £100. Just by a few pounds but odd.

And if you care about fees, avoid Halifax. Charged me £35 (on a policy that was only £140) after I put 2nd hand alloys on a 15 year old car, even though it caused no actual change to the policy price.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 22:38

Quote:

Back_oh_the_net, Wed 24 Apr 16:35

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Tue 23 Apr 11:53

Depends who you are with I was with elephant up until last year and when I switched from my old style Audi A1 to the newer style mid term they never charged me anything

I meant changing companies mid term, when your existing company hike the premium on a new car, even though I had been running a new car with them for the previous 2yrs!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 16:50

Thanks for all the replies. I went on confused.com and have found a comparable insurance for just over half the quote provided by direct line, so they can do one.

Will have to contact them as they say they`ll renew my insurance otherwise. How does that work? I don`t remember authorising them to use my credit card details for future transactions.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 18:22

It`ll be in the small print. You`ll likely have to sit on hold to cancel too as they don`t let you do it online. It`s genuinely p*** poor. By principle I always cancel if they give me a crap renewal price. They had their chance and I don`t want them to succeed on convincing me to stay or they`ll just keep going with their crap process.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 18:38

Quote:

jake89, Thu 25 Apr 18:22

It`ll be in the small print. You`ll likely have to sit on hold to cancel too as they don`t let you do it online. It`s genuinely p*** poor. By principle I always cancel if they give me a crap renewal price. They had their chance and I don`t want them to succeed on convincing me to stay or they`ll just keep going with their crap process.

Maybe I can instruct my credit card company to block direct line?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 20:31

Just sorted my mother in law`s tonight. When we added myself and my wife as additional drivers, the premium dropped £80. Worth a try. Can`t understand how that decreases their risk?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 13:22

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 25 Apr 18:38

Maybe I can instruct my credit card company to block direct line?

NO!!!
They could auto-renew if you don’t cancel in time, then the failed payment counts as a default.
THEN you will need to pay a cancellation fee to get out of the renewal and to get your proof of No claims.

Always make sure that you cancel before the auto-renewal date, even if it means hanging on their line for ages.

Post Edited (Fri 26 Apr 13:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 13:44

In the past I`ve also told providers at the point of renewal that I don`t want to auto-renew the following year. Only for them to be incredibly helpful and set the autorenewal on.

If I change provider I also formally contact to cancel just to be safe.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 16:04

The majority make it so the autorenewal is on by default and that you have to call to cancel. They will also insist on giving you a quote. One time I ended up saying repeatedly "Please cancel my renewal, I don`t want a quote". These guys are trained to be persistent so I don`t enjoy being mean to them but I was sick of their nonsense.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 10:14

As reported in today`s Guardian :-

`The average price paid for comprehensive motor insurance in the UK was about a third (33%) or £157 higher in the first quarter of this year than a year earlier, according to figures from the Association of British Insurers (ABI).

Based on analysis of policies sold, the typical price paid in the first quarter of 2024 was £635, marking a 1% increase on the previous quarter, the ABI said.

In the first quarter of 2023, the average premium paid for private comprehensive motor insurance was £478.

The ABI said the 1% quarterly increase indicated an easing of the rises seen in 2023.

It said insurers were continuing to absorb growing costs, with the average claim paid rising 8% to reach a record of £4,800 over the same period.`

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net