DAFC.net
Home 01 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Rebus
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 17 May 14:44

A new series of Rebus starts tonight with Richard Rankin in the title role. It plays around with time a bit as it`s set in the present-day and Rebus is younger than he was when the books first came out. Ian Rankin is happy with it though and the scripts are by Gregory Burke (Gagarin Way, Black Watch) who`s from Rosyth. It starts tonight on BBC Scotland at 10 pm (provided there`s no extra time at Stark`s Park!) although you can view it now on the iplayer if you can`t wait.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rebus
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 17 May 22:17

Tempted fate there wee Eck!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 May 22:44

Better late than never!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 19 May 13:02

It was OK - but I preferred Ken Stott.

I`ve not read any of the books - but was Rebus not a Hibee, that`s how I mind KS in the role ?

Richard Rankin confessed to being a Jambo in last night`s episode.

In real life KS is a Jam Tart.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 May 13:38

If they wanted to depict Rebus as a young detective there had to be a new actor. Richard Rankin is Glaswegian and is 41 - I thought he was playing younger than that and there was a trace of a Fife accent but that`s why they`re actors I suppose.

I think you`re right about the football allegiances - Rebus was a Hibee in the books and previous series and Stott is a Jam Tart. I thought Ian Rankin supported the Rovers but last night I saw an old documentary on BBC4 which saw him visiting his childhood home in Cardenden. He said he had football posters on his bedroom wall and I think the players mentioned were George Best - and John Greig!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 19 May 13:47

Not surprised, Cardenden is a hun enclave!😡
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 May 13:55

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 19 May 13:02

I`ve not read any of the books - but was Rebus not a Hibee, that`s how I mind KS in the role ?

Was trying to figure out the supposed Fife location last night, after ruling out Keir Hardie Terrace in Dunfermline and thinking about Auchterderran, Bowhill, Cardenden and Bowhill, couldn`t place it.

Looked more like Templehall or one of the Glenrothes ghettos!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 May 13:57

In the first episode of this latest series Rebus goes back to Fife to visit his brother. It didn`t say it was Cardenden but I presume it was filmed there. Is there a Keir Hardie Street there? I`m sure that was one of the street signs.

ETA - You anticipated my question LA!

Post Edited (Sun 19 May 13:58)
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 19 May 14:01

The only one that comes close is the Dunfermline one, though maybe there are newer builds?

I am going back to my Fire Service days when we were called out to these areas on a regular basis.🚒🚒🚒
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 May 14:18

There are a few references on the internet to the filming locations but all just mention places in Edinburgh and Glasgow. I suppose they may have used a village close to the cities or a scheme in the cities rather than send a crew to Fife.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Sun 19 May 14:26

Apparently the ‘Keir Hardie Gardens’ scenes were filmed in Airlie Gardens, Rutherglen.

Ian Rankin is a wee team fan, but he deliberately made Rebus a non-football fan to keep him out of football debates. Ken Scott is a Jambo, so they made him a Hibby as a wind-up.

Post Edited (Sun 19 May 14:41)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 May 14:32

Quote:

Tad Allagash, Sun 19 May 14:26

Apparently the ‘Keir Hardie Gardens’ scenes were filmed in Airlie Gardens, Rutherglen.

Ian Rankin is a wee team fan, but he deliberately made Rebus a non-football fan to keep home out of football debates. Ken Scott is a Jambo, so they made him a Hibby as a wind-up.

Cheers, binged the first 4 episodes last night on i player, 2 to go!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 May 16:59

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 19 May 13:55

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 19 May 13:02

Was trying to figure out the supposed Fife location last night, after ruling out Keir Hardie Terrace in Dunfermline and thinking about Auchterderran, Bowhill, Cardenden and Bowhill, couldn`t place it.

Looked more like Templehall or one of the Glenrothes ghettos!

I did the same. Wasn`t Fife I don`t think. Didn`t recognise flats like that unless it`s Methil or somewhere.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 May 17:06

There is a Keir Hardie STREET in Methil but it doesn`t seem to be flats.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 May 19:06

It`ll be somewhere in Edinburgh or Glasgow. For whatever reason, the BBC and STV rarely make a journey into Fife despite the likes of Outlander managing it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 May 19:14

As Tad Allagash states above the `Keir Hardie Gardens` sequences were filmed in Rutherglen (as confirmed on the internet). Expect their Tourist Office to be swamped with enquiries to see if it can be fitted in to an `Outlander` tour of Scotland.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 May 20:03

Would have thought sub titles might be required for our Unionist neeburs!🤔🤭
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect68  
Date:   Sun 19 May 23:09

So is Gregory Burke a Pars fan? Episode 2 a characters name is Andy Rolland and episode 3 talks about a character called Shaun Strang. .... I`m listening out for more
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 19 May 23:25

Quote:

Parfect68, Sun 19 May 23:09

So is Gregory Burke a Pars fan? Episode 2 a characters name is Andy Rolland and episode 3 talks about a character called Shaun Strang. .... I`m listening out for more

Yes, he is a Pars fan, it`s something discussed in quite a few of his early interviews

"At first glance, Gregory Burke does not look like the type of fellow you want to run into in an alleyway late at night.

With his shaved head, coolly obscure T-shirt and jeans, the 34-year-old Scot looks like a soccer hoodlum, an image in no way challenged by the fact that this interview is being held in a pub so that Burke can catch the afternoon game of his hometown team, Dunfermline Athletic. The only hint that he is actually a playwright is his David Mamet-worthy cursing when the opposing Glasgow Rangers score twice in the first few minutes of the match."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 May 23:32

He had a bit of fun with the name of the character `Jimmy McJagger`!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 May 08:49

Jim Leishman in the credits at end of programme!

"EPK " Pro?🤔😲
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 May 15:57

`An electronic press kit, or EPK for short, is a compilation of material to promote a film or TV project, a new album by a band, or an artist`s work.`

Not sure what Leish would have to do with that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 May 22:35

What are you on about? EPK stands for Eccentric Provost Ken?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 21 May 07:33

worth watching?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 May 10:25

I wasn`t impressed. Script felt quite weak on the first episode. Maybe it gets better?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 May 15:16

Watched a few more and it`s been not bad but the script seems to have a few holes. If someone kidnapped you and threatened to kill you, surely you`d have your own boys round to deal with them rather than suggest working together again? Also, why did Siobhan decide to follow up the guy with the metal leg simply because the guy mentioned his name. Seems a bit odd.

They seem to be suggesting the brother lives in or around Rosyth based on the car journey but it`s clearly not Fife and definitely not West Fife with those sorts of buildings.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 May 15:53

I`ve only watched the first two episodes so can`t comment on the points about the plot. Overall though, I think the script is quite witty.

Most of the folk watching won`t be wondering if his brother lives in Rosyth or even West Fife. I wondered how Rebus is getting involved in crime on the other side of the water but it`s fiction!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 May 17:07

Just felt it was a bit of a shame to depict Rosyth (or Fife generally) as a dump in contrast to Edinburgh where Siobhan lives in a trendy warehouse conversion and Rebus lives with a view of the castle 😂

I`m pretty sure the brother is less intense in the books, more an affable loser than a gangster.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Sun 26 May 20:26

The lockup was obviously North Queensferry with the rail bridge in the background.

The ‘Kier Hardie’ flats were apparently filmed in Glasgow, Airlie Gardens - but the journey to them appeared to turn left after the bridge and travel Westward with the Forth in the background.
Nae crappy flats in Limelins/Charlestown/Crombie nor in Torry/Newmills
Seems to point at High Valleyfield 🤣
Don’t recall a cross memorial there though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 10 Jun 15:12

Apart from the fact that Rebus seems to depict the Scottish polis as pretty corrupt specimens of lowlife, with very few redeeming features, which significantly detracts from the entertainment value and having some of the scenes in Glasgow and pretending it`s Edinburgh spoils the plot for those who are familiar with Edinburgh and Glasgow.

In the first episode where Rebus goes to pick up his daughter to take her to school from a mansion in Cleveden Drive Glasgow, where his ex and hubby live, they walk her to school and magically arrive at a school in Edinburgh.

Post Edited (Mon 10 Jun 15:14)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jun 15:22

Yeah, and `Rebus` isn`t a policeman, he`s an actor pretending to be a policeman. It`s fiction, not a documentary. Entire films are made in places pretending to be other places. It`s an illusion.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jun 16:24

The issues of using different places happens all the time. We just notice it less in Scotland as most UK TV programmes are filmed in places like London, Bristol and Wales. Even well known films like Trainspotting (and the sequel) are guilty of using different cities.

It turned out alright in the end and I thought Rankin did a good job with a slightly jarring cast. Few things that annoyed me:

Siobhan`s pointless flatmate and their crap flat. I get it, she`s a bit of a hipster but it was a bit blatant.

Michael not being aware there are gangster in Edinburgh when he seemingly lived in Rosyth.

Rebus` ex wife not feeling like someone he would ever have married in the first place. It felt like she was only in the programme to make a point of her annoying new husband who was far too much of a poshboy cliche.

Templar being much older than Rebus.

The accents for the Rebus brothers were pretty spot on but others were well off it for people supposedly from Fife/Lothians.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Mon 10 Jun 18:45

Line of Duty was the worst for messing with filming locations when they switched from Birmingham to Belfast like no one was supposed to notice.

Rebus was OK, but I reckon Irvine Welsh’s Crime with Dougray Scott on ITV was better.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jun 19:03

And as for the police drama "Crime" with Dougray Scott, which had the police involved in all kinds of despicable behaviour, they were filming some of the scenes round the corner from me. One morning when I looked out the window there was a temporary traffic light in front of my drive. When I asked the guy why it was there, he said, " I hid naewhere else ti pit it". The obvious suggestion came to mind but thankfully I resisted the temptation.

Post Edited (Mon 10 Jun 19:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 10 Jun 20:33

Quote:

Paralex, Mon 10 Jun 15:12

Apart from the fact that Rebus seems to depict the Scottish polis as pretty corrupt specimens of lowlife, with very few redeeming features, which significantly detracts from the entertainment value

Sounds like a very realistic portrayal of the Police then
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jun 20:57

Exactly. Look at the absolute fit up job the police managed in Kirkcaldy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Jun 21:31

A very sad reflection, if true, guys. And with some elements, it may be, but generally, here in the big smoke anyway, evidently not.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 01:34

It`s a long while ago, but Gregory Burke used to be on this site quite regularly. I am trying to remember his username, but he did identify himself when the thread topic was Gagarin Way. He is definitely a Pars fan.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 09:14

Quote:

OzPar, Tue 11 Jun 01:34

It`s a long while ago, but Gregory Burke used to be on this site quite regularly. I am trying to remember his username, but he did identify himself when the thread topic was Gagarin Way. He is definitely a Pars fan.

He used to regularly drop Pars players names into characters, don’t remember too many this series - Sean Strang being the only one I noticed…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 09:58

Somebody mentioned that there was a character called Andrew Rolland and there was a Jim Leishman mentioned in the closing credits.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 Jun 23:37

Managed to see it through to the end. Thankfully Rebus did exhibit some redeeming features. It was also nice to see inside and round the back of his ex wife`s mansion, which was recently refurbished. I also noticed a good friend who seemed to have a bit part as a prison warden in episode 3. Yes Jimmy McJagger raised a snigger or two. Perhaps the plot which brought both Rebus`s brother and ex wife in from different angles was rather fabricated.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net