DAFC.net
Home 08 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The birds and the bees
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Tue 16 Jul 14:01

No…not sex education I got in school 65 years ago.

Got a big garden; lots of flowers, fruits on bushes , bird bath yet all I’ve seen for quite a few days is a solitary robin. ( they like to be solitary btw and will battle any intruding robin to the death

No hum of bees either, or even wasps.

What’s going on?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The birds and the bees
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Tue 16 Jul 14:04

Have you seen the weather? Got to be the worst summer Ive seen in my 35 years……so far we’ve had 3 days of sunshine since the end of May - and spring was horrendous too.

But climate change is a myth……….
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Jul 14:20

I was wondering if they have built in weather sensors so they knew it was coming and are hiding till it blows over!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Jul 14:22

…or buggered off to drier climes!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 16 Jul 15:02

Bees are dying out. You`re doing a great job having a nice big garden with lots of flowers and plants. Sadly, many gardens have been replaced with driveways and astro-turf grass. Similarly, enormous areas like Duloch have been built on. Not a criticism - people have to live somewhere.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Jul 15:41

Well that’s a shame.

Regarding the robin, they don’t migrate, so this is his patch all year round. Never actually seen it fighting an intruder, but read in a gardening column years ago where the guy found two of them locked in mortal combat rolling down his path!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Tue 16 Jul 18:09

In our Duloch garden we get magpies, a pair of x rated pigeons, a robin, doves, up to 10 goldfinches at once, various varieties of tits, sparrows, blackies, finches, a gang of starlings, an occasional woodpecker as well as squirrels, sometimes 3 at once and an odd hedgehog.

Post Edited (Tue 16 Jul 18:12)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 16 Jul 18:47

The Duloch magpies are pricks. Constantly yacking.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Tue 16 Jul 19:21

Quote:

JTH123, Tue 16 Jul 18:09

In our Duloch garden we get magpies, a pair of x rated pigeons, a robin, doves, up to 10 goldfinches at once, various varieties of tits, sparrows, blackies, finches, a gang of starlings, an occasional woodpecker as well as squirrels, sometimes 3 at once and an odd hedgehog.

What does hedgehog get up to ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 16 Jul 19:55

I have pigeons, gulls, including wee babby ones, jackdaws, and magpies.

Parboiled, my neighbour downstairs has just planted a mature buddleia and there’s lots of butterflies already around it. A big bumble bee landed on my window ledge yesterday morning so that’s encouraging. I do think the wild weather is to blame for their low numbers so far this year.

I’m just waiting on a peacock 🦚 tottering about the garden here and I’d be chuffed to bits.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Jul 08:02

Yes we did also have some xrated pigeons a while back = a pair occasionally joined by another for a threesome. Ruddy insatiable.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 17 Jul 08:33

We get all the same birds as you JTH123 .. the Goldfinch is a beautiful wee bird
I have never seen a hedgehog for years .. not even a dead one on the road .. I think they must be in serious decline

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Jul 08:48

Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 17 Jul 08:02

Yes we did also have some xrated pigeons a while back = a pair occasionally joined by another for a threesome. Ruddy insatiable.

I mind we took the wee one up to the Meadies a couple of months back and had front row seats to the ducks and swans mating seasons 😂 full blown fights and chases going on all over the loch.

More worryingly there were elder gentlemen next to us that had no idea what was going on…..even my 3 year old was more cottoned on to it 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Wed 17 Jul 09:52

Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 17 Jul 08:02

I wouldn`t mind but they insist on doing it on a balustrade right in front of the kitchen window.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Jul 09:55

😂
The female pigeon in the garden here just keeps dodging the male. He’s no giving up though. Poor sod.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Wed 17 Jul 21:10

I think I`ve seen 2 bees total this YEAR actually flying. Every other is dying on the ground. It`s going to be a serious problem trying to pollinate crops in future
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 20:55

We had a pigeon in the house last week .. walked in the back door .. through the scullery .. into the living room and perched on the tv
Then chaos .. it managed to get behind the venetian blinds .. ornaments and pictures scattered .. sh1t every where .. I managed to get it out the front windae minus a few tail feathers .. and before ye start buffy they were the pigeons and no mine

Post Edited (Fri 19 Jul 08:29)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 21:08

Quote:

Buspasspar, Thu 18 Jul 20:55

We had a pigeon in the house last week .. walked in the back door .. through the scullery .. into the living room and perched on the tv
Then chaos .. it managed to get behind the venetian blinds .. ornaments pictures scattered .. **** every where .. I managed to get it out the front windae minus a few tail feathers .. and before ye start buffy they were the pigeons and no mine

Id rather a pigeon than a bat…..had 2 in the house last year thanks to the cats 🙄 not much carnage but f*ck me they were hard to deal with whilst still alive and kicking (well trying to bite)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 22:55

😂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Jul 08:58

2 nights ago it was a ginger and white cat…..cornered my wee girl (cat) on the stairs (in our back patio 🙄) then proceeded to hiss and scratch at me as I tried to move it on! Thing is always on our window sills “speaking” to our two, but we reckon its feart of our male as it literally shakes when it faces him - and he’s the worlds biggest sh*tebag!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 10:34

The Pollinators is a great movie about the plight of the bee in America. I just cannot believe the extent we go to for mass food production, then I watched the Biggest Littlest Farm in the World and there are people in the world who know what to do. Just that it will not make profit without food being more expensive. Governments just pass this down the line until there will be no line left.
On the up side there were bundles of bees on the Mull of Kintyre. I think it is because it is mainly untouched.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 12:51

Sorry Dave did you mean to say you`d rather have a pigeon than a bat or did you mean cat?

Post Edited (Sat 20 Jul 12:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NMCmassive  
Date:   Thu 8 Aug 20:13

Well Brucefield is full of tits… make of that what you will

Seriously though we used to get a flock of small birds ( I think they were house sparrows but I’m definitely no expert so I could be wrong) that would hover over the back of everyone’s adjoining back gardens but I’ve not seen them this year. We definitely still get the bees tho. I can tell because I sit smoking my vape at my front door and the bees must use it as a way point cos pretty regularly they fly up to my door, look at it then move off in the same direction.

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NMCmassive  
Date:   Thu 8 Aug 20:14

And no the good tits either…

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 00:25

Quote:

parsmad68, Sat 20 Jul 10:34

The Pollinators is a great movie about the plight of the bee in America. I just cannot believe the extent we go to for mass food production, then I watched the Biggest Littlest Farm in the World and there are people in the world who know what to do. Just that it will not make profit without food being more expensive. Governments just pass this down the line until there will be no line left.
On the up side there were bundles of bees on the Mull of Kintyre. I think it is because it is mainly untouched.

Always wanted to eventually have a garden with a beehive. Fascinating creatures. We will be very much worse off without them
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 16:25

Our bird bath attracted a bunch of wee sparrows today. There were six of them in it at one stage, two or three more squabbling to get in. Turned into a mass brawl!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sun 11 Aug 21:52

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/blog/joe-llanos/groundhog-day-pollinators-bee-killing-pesticide-approved-uk-use-again.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net