DAFC.net
Home 18 October 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Olympic opening ceremony
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 26 Jul 19:33

Madder than a box of Frogs…braw!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Olympic opening ceremony
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 26 Jul 20:08

Quote:

Parboiled, Fri 26 Jul 19:33

Madder than a box of Frogs…braw!

I bet you are raging, boats, all these faces that aren`t white.......you will be shouting at the telly "Stop The Boats!"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Steviethepar2  
Date:   Fri 26 Jul 20:24

Utterly dreadful

Post Edited (Fri 26 Jul 20:25)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Steviethepar2  
Date:   Fri 26 Jul 20:26

Bring back Danny Boyle

Post Edited (Fri 26 Jul 20:27)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jul 20:40

More ruddy boats than sailed to bring back Helen of Troy

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 26 Jul 21:07

While I appreciate them trying something different by not having it take place within a stadium and therefore making the city itself the stage thus far at least it has made for a poor spectacle. London 2012 really did set a considerably high bar when it comes to opening ceremonies.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 26 Jul 22:30

Once it got to the bit around the Effiel Tower it became more of spectacle but as is often the case with these things it dragged on to long.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Jul 23:58

I see Christians are losing it over the Satanic Ritualistic visualisation in the opening ceremony. The metal band playing while blood spurted from the windows of the palace and the disembodied head of Marie Antoinette sang, the pale horse and single rider walking on water, and most blasphemously, the recreation of the last supper featuring a bunch of drag queens and trans folk
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sat 27 Jul 05:31

Quote:

red-star-par, Fri 26 Jul 23:58

I see Christians are losing it over the Satanic Ritualistic visualisation in the opening ceremony. The metal band playing while blood spurted from the windows of the palace and the disembodied head of Marie Antoinette sang, the pale horse and single rider walking on water, and most blasphemously, the recreation of the last supper featuring a bunch of drag queens and trans folk

Excellent 😃 get it up them I say!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sat 27 Jul 12:35

Quote:

Blasphemy is a victimless crime.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 Jul 13:08

If they’d lampooned another faith the city would still be ablaze

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 27 Jul 14:13

This is where people do themselves no favours. This just feeds the bigots.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 27 Jul 15:04

Quote:

Conspiracy theorists moving away from the fat orange fraud and onto this has been a lovely sight this morning
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 27 Jul 17:12

"I see Christians are losing it over the Satanic Ritualistic visualisation in the opening ceremony."

Just as well Salman Rushdie`s "Satanic Verses" wasn`t used as an inspiration for the festivities then !!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sat 27 Jul 18:04

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 27 Jul 13:08

If they’d lampooned another faith the city would still be ablaze

100%.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sun 28 Jul 16:04

Disrespecting/lampooning the Catholic Church has been a French tradition since before the Revolution.

Are folk suggesting that the French abandon their long-standing traditions to pander to snowflakes in other countries fighting weird culture wars?

Post Edited (Sun 28 Jul 16:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 30 Jul 08:12

What has the Last Supper etc., got to do with the Olympics ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Jul 11:56

Quote:

veteraneastender, Tue 30 Jul 08:12

Because it`s edgy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neil_Philp  
Date:   Tue 30 Jul 18:46

It was..................different.

Changed days since James Bond and Mr Bean in 2012 anyway.

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Jul 19:45

That was The Feast of Dionysis, not The Last Supper.

And what does Paddington Bear etc have to do with the Olympics?

The enemy travels by private jet, not by dinghy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Jul 20:01

Quote:

Wotsit, Tue 30 Jul 19:45

Paddington is based in London which is where the Olympics was being held. He`s named after the station.🤦
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Jul 20:30

Quote:

jake89, Tue 30 Jul 20:01

Quote:

Wotsit, Tue 30 Jul 19:45

Paddington is based in London which is where the Olympics was being held. He`s named after the station.🤦

Oops 🫢😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Jul 21:29

So we`re agreeing that the opening ceremony is about the host city/nation, its people, and its culture as well as the Olympics themselves?

The Feast of The Gods (the painting portraying the Feast of Dionysus (an Ancient Athenian festival)) is held in a museum Dijon and covers both bases.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Jul 22:25

The person in the middle of the scene, wearing the crown, apparently posted on Instagram with the picture of the scene they depicted, alongside The Last Supper, with a caption, "The New Gay Testament".

I think they knew fine what they were doing, trying to get out of it with their whole Dionysus line, which they probably developed as a potential excuse in case they got Charlie Hebdo`d
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Jul 23:03

There were 27 people in this supposed "Last Supper" at one point.

It was definitely supposed to be a diffferent, only slightly less famous, painting with a strong connection to France and the origin of the Olympics, but folk can feel free to be offended by an imagined slight I suppose, that`s totally up to them.

Post Edited (Tue 30 Jul 23:08)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 31 Jul 16:07

Quote:

Wotsit, Tue 30 Jul 21:29

So we`re agreeing that the opening ceremony is about the host city/nation, its people, and its culture as well as the Olympics themselves?

The Feast of The Gods (the painting portraying the Feast of Dionysus (an Ancient Athenian festival)) is held in a museum Dijon and covers both bases.

Dijon is quite far from Paris and it`s a bit of an odd choice even if thinking of something that is synonymous with France generally. Like think Paris and it`s Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, baguettes, berets etc, not a Dutch painting that lots of people confused with something completely different!

Let`s just be honest - someone thought they were being edgy and bit controversial and failed on both counts. More like something from Euro Trash 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 31 Jul 16:51

Folk saw what they wanted to see: something that would allow them to feel outraged. That`s fine, I`m not going to judge them for that, but I do find it odd that folk persist with it even now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 31 Jul 16:56

True enough. Each to their own.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 20:12

Yes it seems that blasphemy against the Christian faith is fair game since there are no immediate repercussions and if it`s not true, feel free to join in. The only problem is that it just might be true and if so, "we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ". Would you take the risk?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 20:54

Quote:

Paralex, Sat 3 Aug 20:12

Yes it seems that blasphemy against the Christian faith is fair game since there are no immediate repercussions and if it`s not true, feel free to join in. The only problem is that it just might be true and if so, "we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ". Would you take the risk?

For christ sake christ isn’t real 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ hr is as real as Gandalf and Harry Potter!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 20:57

Quote:

Paralex, Sat 3 Aug 20:12

I`d say there`s a fair chance the folk prancing about at the Olympic ceremonies"Gay Testament" won`t be getting into heaven anyway, if such a place exists.

Christianity is a bit of a soft, easy target, if they had done something similar aimed at Islam, Paris would still be burning yet
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 20:58

So obviously you are prepared to take the risk, Dave 1885. Remember that a clear warning was given.

Don`t forget Red Star par that Jesus made a point of associating with " sinners", the way is open to all, to confess sin and receive full and free forgiveness. "The vilest offender, who truly believes, that moment from Jesus a pardon receives."

Post Edited (Sat 03 Aug 21:03)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 21:00

Quote:

Paralex, Sat 3 Aug 20:58

So obviously you are prepared to take the risk, Dave 1885. Remember that a clear warning was given.

Your god gives children cancer and creates famines around the world…..Im glad I don’t believe in his mythical existence 👍🏻
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 21:13

You must tell Him that when you meet up with Him Dave, but I guess you`ll find that all illnesses are caused by human rebellion against God and embracing evil. Also register the fact that God allowed Himself to be put to death, in the form of His Son Jesus, to free us of our sin and bring us back into a loving relationship with God. In the meantime take care with taking God`s/ Jesus` name in vain because those who do that will "not be held guiltless".

Post Edited (Sat 03 Aug 22:53)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 22:28

Any being as malevolently judgemental as the one you describe is not worthy, or capable, of sharing a truly loving relationship.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 22:50

He took the judgement of our sins upon Himself. How is that being malevolently judgemental? He gives us the opportunity to accept the free gift of forgiveness of our sins. He gave us life and made us in His image. He wants us to freely acknowledge Him but we choose self indulgence and sin instead. We don`t know the love God has for us until we experience it. He will never force anyone to come to Him but when we do we find that we "have been made alive, when we had been dead in trespasses and sins". The heart of the problem, is the problem of the human heart. Desperately wicked, we are told. Just look around the world and see. "He breaks the power of human sin, He sets the prisoner free, His blood can make the foulest clean, His blood availed for me". ( Charles Wesley)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 22:55

Quote:

Paralex, Sat 3 Aug 21:13

You must tell Him that when you meet up with Him Dave, but I guess you`ll find that all illnesses are caused by human rebellion against God and embracing evil. Also register the fact that God allowed Himself to be put to death, in the form of His Son Jesus, to free us of our sin and bring us back into a loving relationship with God. In the meantime take care with taking God`s/ Jesus` name in vain because those who do that will "not be held guiltless".

Wait a second - have you just claimed that children as young as 1 have rebelled against god and embraced evil to be given cancer? 🤔 f*ck me what a bellend you are if thats your thoughts 🤦🏻‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 23:07

God in His infinite wisdom has taken young children to be with Him in heaven, which is far better than living here. Indeed I have had the great privilege of sharing the stories of Jesus with such children in Yorkhill Sick kids hospital many years ago. The thing that amazed me was that these kids didn`t rage against God, as you seem to be doing, but had an angelic like simplicity that trusted they were going to a better place. You may rage against God on your own account but please don`t do it for the kids because maybe they were wiser than you.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 23:09

Quote:

Paralex, Sat 3 Aug 23:07

God in His infinite wisdom has taken young children to be with Him in heaven, which is far better than living here. Indeed I have had the great privilege of sharing the stories of Jesus with such children in Yorkhill Sick kids hospital many years ago. The thing that amazed me was that these kids didn`t rage against God, as you seem to be doing, but had an angelic like simplicity that trusted they were going to a better place. You may rage against God on your own account but please don`t do it for the kids because maybe they were wiser than you.

Wow, just wow 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 10:49

Christians really are beyond precious 😂😂 that nasty blue painted man has done a wonderful job rattling you lot.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 10:50

Quote:

Paralex, Sat 3 Aug 23:07

This is vile
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 13:38

And yet, the most inspirational Christians I have met, are those who have suffered most. My friends who lost both daughters before the age of 19. My former boss who lost his son at the age of 7. There is never an easy answer to suffering but when accepted in faith and trust in our God who knows all things, it can have remarkable effects in producing powerful Christian character. Trust in God is never in vain and those who allow Him to meet them in their deepest sorrows discover ever new depths of the Love of God.

And my observation is that those who come out with the pretended indignation of illnesses of children, are the very one`s who are keen to promote "pro choice" which is the polite way of assenting to the murder of children in the womb.

Post Edited (Sun 04 Aug 13:54)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 16:09

It was Dionysus.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 12:02

I want to meet the creator who created god/the cloud wishing fairy, in fact the Karen in me wants to go even further up the management structure to meet his creator, I have some feedback.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 13:11

You`d have to meet about 3 billion individual beings, given that everyone who`s religious has their own unique notion of what their supreme being is like. Not even sub-sects can agree, never mind entire religions.

Yet folk with faith are always prepared to tell us what we`re doing wrong in the most confident and self assured fashion.

It`s almost like gods are created internally by each individual who believes in them.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 14:20

Quote:

Wotsit, Mon 5 Aug 13:11

It`s almost like gods are created internally by each individual who believes in them.

Your own, personal, Jesus
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 16:18

I prefer the Johnny Cash version.

The Depeche Mode version is good too, although I suspect that it`s about heroin whereas the Johnny Cash version seems like a more literal, Jesusy, take.

The Maralyn Manson version can get in the bin.

I suppose we do all have our own personal Personal Jesus!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 01:06

One poster wants to know who created God. The Bible makes clear that God is an uncreated being and that created gods are idols. God wouldn`t be God, if He was created by someone else. The being who created him would supercede him as God. We can`t get our brains round that because we ourselves are created beings. Another poster says that everybody makes up details of their own God but the Bible is quite clear as to the characteristics of God. He is Father, Son and Holy Spirit, He is the creator of all things, He is Spirit, infinite and eternal, He transcends space, time and matter. He has created us in His image, He has revealed Himself in the scriptures of the old and new testaments, which clearly spell out the fall of humankind and the measures that He has taken to remedy the situation.

Read through the whole Bible, the world best seller of today and all time, and you will have very little scope to make up your own God because it is very specific. Jesus also spells out Who He is and refers to the old testament prophecies that refer to Him. Our very calendar dates from His life. He is the watershed of world history and the Cross of Christ is the answer to the human dilemma ie why am I here, is there any purpose in life and what happens when I die. No wonder true Christians are confident about their beliefs Jesus by His Spirit living in their hearts, has opened their minds to understand the scriptures.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 06:02

But the bible is a fantasy fiction book written by men 🤷🏻‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 07:28

I read the bible as a teenager. The whole thing. It turned me into a lifelong atheist.

It is an abhorrent book, full of genocide and hate, men offering their daughters to be raped, petty vengeance, pointless cruelty, an obsession with power and control, justifications for slavery, etc, etc, etc.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 08:28

Quote:

Wotsit, Tue 6 Aug 07:28

I read the bible as a teenager. The whole thing. It turned me into a lifelong atheist.

It is an abhorrent book, full of genocide and hate, men offering their daughters to be raped, petty vengeance, pointless cruelty, an obsession with power and control, justifications for slavery, etc, etc, etc.

Sounds about right for this “god” that they all believe in 🤷🏻‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 09:44

Sorry guys, you`ve been listening to the negative propaganda. An easy mistake to make because the human heart is naturally anti God. There is a natural inclination to twist the text to make it say something it doesn`t. For example " an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" means only an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth and no more. It is a check on human vendetta and vicious reprisals. But the central message is that Jesus Christ, God incarnate, gave His life for you and me. It is personal. He can answer the dilemma you have about life and death. " I am the resurrection and the life, he who believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live". Sure, it seemed that God wanted to use His people, in the old testament to wage war and deal with nations which had descended into the depths of depravity. But didn`t he require our parents, grandparents and great grandparents to do something similar to the wicked Nazi regime. The history of humankind is far more twisted than you can imagine. Don`t be fooled by the easy answers.

Slavery as it is described in the Bible is not the same as the slavery of the 18th and 19th Centuries. And there is no indication that God was in favour of it. In the Bible it mostly refers to a situation of employment or paying off a debt and most of the references are for fair dealing and protection of the " bond servant". Sure, some wicked people have misinterpreted texts and used them for their own evil ends. Slavery in our own country only came to an end because predominantly Evangelical Christians opposed it in the House of Commons. There was a majority of our ancestors who were in favour of it by voting for it to continue or by remaining silent. We are all implicated. It took decades of tireless campaigning by evangelical Christian William Wilberforce and others before anti slavery laws were introduced. Nowhere does the Bible condone forceably capturing and enslaving another person and it was only those who were touched by the grace of God in the Bible who were brave enough to oppose it.

Post Edited (Tue 06 Aug 10:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 11:02

The bible is propaganda, huh?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 13:01

Quote:

Wotsit, Tue 6 Aug 11:02

The bible is propaganda, huh?

It`s OK though, it wasn`t the BAD slavery. They enjoyed it 🙄😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 15:38

Andrew283 wrote:

>
Quote:

Wotsit, Tue 6 Aug 11:02
>
> The bible is propaganda, huh?

>
> It`s OK though, it wasn`t the BAD slavery. They enjoyed it
> 🙄😂

It was a situation that the Israelis inherited and not one that God commanded. The good side of it was that it provided some security where there was no social security. The alternative for many would be sleeping rough. You could say our government hasn`t caught up with the compassionate principles in the Bible because every time I walk down Sauchiehall Street or visit Edinburgh the evidence of rough sleeping, homeless individuals is plain to see. So I wouldn`t be so self righteous, if I were you.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 16:06

So instead of working hard as a homelessness outreach worker (in Edinburgh) I should be more compassionate towards those whom society has failed by - checks notes - enslaving them?

Post Edited (Tue 06 Aug 16:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 16:46

No, in fact, by not kicking them out when they have no means of support and nowhere to stay. But I`m sure you knew that.🤔

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 17:04

Cheese Puff is always trumpeting his goody goodness..probably hangs his halo on the bedpost overnight.
And dinnae get into theological battle with his mate, that’s just cruelty to an eejit

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 18:13

Quote:

Paralex, Tue 6 Aug 16:46

No, in fact, by not kicking them out when they have no means of support and nowhere to stay. But I`m sure you knew that.🤔

What`s any of that got to do with deities?

It`s also worth pointing out that most people on the streets are there because they escaped from even more awful circumstances. Some of the most awful things imaginable happen under the camouflage of "family". This abuse happens often in Christian families as well as non-Christian.

The majority of the ones who were kicked out were kicked out because they were making their family`s lives unbearable through violence or addiction. The circumstances under which this behaviour occurs is unrelated to faith

Then there`s the mental health aspect (although that`s more chicken and egg) which impacts people on the street.

I agree that empathy is hugely important when looking to help people who are struggling, and faith organisations are really good at that.

For example, one area where Christian faith organisations excel in Edinburgh is with provision of high quality services. The only winter emergency shelter is run by Bethany, whilst various churches provide food and accommodation services.

Another area where faith can help is in recovery from addiction. Many people are more likely to succeed if they replace the power the addiction has over them with faith. It works and it saves many people`s lives. The "giving oneself to a higher power" thing is the cornerstone of The Twelve Steps used by AA and related addiction recovery models.

Faith has a positive contribution to make to society imo, but its secret sauce is its empathy, not its judgement.

Sorry for the long post, I`m on a long bus journey and would rant about homelessness for hours if anybody would let me!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 22:19

Good on you, Wotsit. That`s a tough gig!

Faith can definitely help people. What`s interesting though is people typically pick and choose which bits of a religion to follow whether that`s Christianity, Judaism, Islam or whatever. Religious scripture is almost always filled with contradiction and downright bizarre things.

I don`t take things too seriously but I don`t believe in mocking someone`s religion. There are a lot of challenges for the LGBT community but surely the people at the ceremony would realise how their actions would be perceived? It`s not fair to pin the stupidity of a few individuals on the whole community but it`s obvious that would happen.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 22:59

Wow, Wotsit, you`re almost commending people with Christian faith and recognising the power of God in the gospel to reach out to the most desperate of people. I have several friends in Glasgow, who work for Bethany trust, and give great help to various kinds of vulnerable people. Maybe the Bible`s not all that bad afterall, if it inspires people to help the helpless in society.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Aug 00:01

I haven`t thought that religion should be abolished since I was a teenager, even that degree of maturity showed me that there is a place for it in society. It provides structure and purpose for people who may otherwise struggle to find them.

I`m not going to say that the Jesus flavour is better than the others though because the Mighty Mo, Buttery Buddha, and Ganesh flavours, among others, provide the above too.

None of them are for me though.

I don`t see the problem with ridiculing religion if you do it in an even handed and informed way. Lots of people do see a really big problem with it though, but I don`t want to let them win because the biggest flaw in faith imo is its single-minded belief in a rigid set of rules which can, if faith groups gain too much unchecked social influence, lead to absolute carnage for those of us who would rather not follow those specific rules.

Post Edited (Wed 07 Aug 00:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Aug 01:34

The thing is, Wotsit, that there is absolutely no comfort to be taken from Christianity, if it`s not true. Some nurses in a hospital, I visited recently remarked that the patients that had faith seemed to get a lot of comfort from it. But its delusional comfort if it`s not true. Jesus claimed pre eminence. He made extravagant claims about Himself. He let it be known that He was the Messiah, God the Son, the King. He told people that He would rise from the dead and return to this world in the last days in power and great glory. He can`t be lumped in with every other religion because either He is an absolute fake, totally deluded and taking us all for mugs, or He told the truth. You can`t believe Christianity and other religions at the same time because Jesus made Himself out to be unique.

The religions of this world are all very different but only one does not require us to do good works to achieve salvation, and that is Christianity. "Salvation is by grace through faith, not by doing good works." Of course, what we believe, should have an impact on how we live. We don`t do Christianity, we receive it as a free gift. That`s why the dying thief on the cross got into heaven. It was too late for him to do anything, he just received it.

Post Edited (Wed 07 Aug 01:37)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net