DAFC.net
Home 03 June 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Extra points
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sat 4 Nov 11:29

Jamie Hepburn Minister for ( snigger) Independence proposes immigrants who learn Gaelic would earn extra points. Classes in Calais available soon…?
He also assures us there would be no border post checks for cross border travel from England..what aboot the other way?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Extra points
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 4 Nov 12:03

I can`t be bothered checking the veracity of your claims but if what you say is true about the learning gaelic then I can only shake my head at yet another ill conceived initiative on how things would work in an independent Scotland. It`s little wonder people are turning away from independence as a priority in their lives.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 4 Nov 12:28

Yeah, let`s judge the immigration proposals on one unsubstantiated peripheral item which doesn`t even merit inclusion in the BBC`s account of them but which our resident anti-SNP obsessive feels the need to bring to our attention.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 4 Nov 13:03

Can a link be provided? I can`t find anything anywhere.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Nov 14:10

Poor Eck, he actually takes Hepburn’s job title seriously..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Nov 14:16

You`re the one who seems to seek out every word written or uttered about the SNP, not me.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Nov 14:33

TOWK, is plastering and promoting dual language all over Scotland when one is spoken by 1% of the population of whom only a fraction live on the mainland not proof we are run by raving nutters already?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Nov 14:38

Still waiting on that link, Parboiled.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 4 Nov 15:14

Its in the Times jake but I cant post it as they want me to sign up for a free trial

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 00:59

Funnily enough, being bilingual from an early age has been shown to improve various things such as numerical literacy, musical ability and so on and this has been seen both in Ireland and Wales. Teaching kids basic Spanish, German, French and Gaelic from Primary 1 onwards would be an excellent move for the future and far more worthwhile than wasting time on Burns and Shakespeare like many have to in High School. I still remember that at Higher English we weren`t allowed to do factual writing for the exam and I had to write some rehearsed pihs about Norman McCaig and Hamlet.

Just as an aside, I also found that I learned far more about grammar and so on through learning Swedish and Japanese than I ever did during English classes at school. Quite a few folk have told me the same and it does make me wonder if removing English and replacing it with something like "linguistic studies" that looks at various languages would be better. English is just bastardised German afterall...

I remember a former colleague of mine from my teaching days who was from Nova Scotia telling me that there were actually more Gaelic teachers in Nova Scotia than there are in Scotland proper. Never saw any official statistics but it wouldn`t surprise me if it was true.

Good news in the minds of Imperialists like Parboiled I guess...

Post Edited (Sun 05 Nov 01:01)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 08:06

"One aspect would be the creation of a “Live in Scotland” visa where people could earn “credit” to be granted permanent residence. The paper said that this would include “age, education, skills and work experience and language ability — and could include the opportunity to be credited for Gaelic as well as English”."

So not what Parboiled claimed then? 🙄

Edited to add the link to the actual paper evidencing Parboiled talking nonsense...again.

Click here

Post Edited (Sun 05 Nov 08:13)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 10:48

Not even sure why he has such a hatred towards people learning Gaelic really 🤔 its a strange one…
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 11:02

He seems to have an aversion to all minorities.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 11:07

As one of the gleeful 2014 majority I do enjoy rubbing the sad minority losers’ noses in it!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 11:09

Rub their nose in what? All that`s been said is extra points would be given to someone who would learn Gaelic in the same way as if they were to learn English? It`s pretty irrelevant too as it`s simply looking at how it would work IF Scotland were to become independent.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 11:12

What about the other minorities you constantly insult on here?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 12:16

‘English is just bastardised German afterall...’

Nothing against the German language, but I think it’s fair to say it lacks the sex appeal of English.

“I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse.” George V.

Otherwise, there were some goods points from HJ though to be fair.

For "linguistic studies", how about bringing Latin back? It’s interesting that the posh private schools still teach it long after our dumbed-down comprehensives abandoned it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 12:45

Meanwhile the lack of teachers in Scotland results in ever declining numbers of modern language pupils under this appalling apology of a government.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 13:27

If your last point is correct parboiled, I take it you, and everyone else schooled prior to the SNP government are all polygots then?

Post Edited (Sun 05 Nov 13:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 13:46

I would have thought Parboiled would have expected everyone to speak English so there would be no need for foreign languages.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 15:57

Quote:

Parboiled, Sun 5 Nov 12:45

Meanwhile the lack of teachers in Scotland results in ever declining numbers of modern language pupils under this appalling apology of a government.

Okay, now explain the reason for being unable to attract teachers to these posts...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 19:16

I suggest you direct that question to whoever is the Education Minister this week.
The Minister for Independence could assist, after all he’s doing eff all..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 20:15

How is the Minister for the Union performing? I wonder how many of the Great British public know who he is?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 11:01

Whoever they are, they are being ably assisted by Hepburn in maintaining the status quo!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 11:49

So you don`t know or, as usual, you choose to ignore what goes on at Westminster. If that`s meant to demonstrate the benefits of the Union, God help us.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net