DAFC.net
Home 18 October 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Courier sense all is not well
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 09:39

The Courier posted the below following our embarrassing result against Forfar, something they do regularly after games, be it Dundee or us is `4 talking points from X result against X...`

Whilst McPake has voiced his frustrations at a lack of recruitment this summer, supporters have been short of explanations from those further up the chain of command.

First, there was budgetary constraints being blamed by the management for Paul Allan being surprisingly released.

Then, there was McPake admitting he was unable to compete with big-spending Championship rivals for signing targets.

The club could rightly point to a £1 million loss in their latest set of accounts and to the investment in the training ground

But they rarely put their heads above the parapet.

Chairman and chief executive David Cook has twice addressed fans through official club channels this summer and has admitted communication should be better.

But the club’s Germany-based owners are the ones making the ultimate decisions and have not felt the need to explain themselves publicly.

Sporting director Thomas Meggle did speak at recent meetings with supporters but the wider fanbase then has to rely on word of mouth for what has been said.

With apparent tensions between management and decision-makers, and fan disgruntlement at performances and a lack of signings, perhaps it is time for that better communication to come from on high.

I`ve certainly not been in the panic merchants section of the support, and been pretty vocal in my support of the project, but I`m very much starting to get worried. Something as simple as not having a sub goalie for 2 competitive games has tipped it for me. An utterly embarrassing situation, and frankly reckless.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Courier sense all is not well
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 10:01

The Courier could have written that based on comments on this forum. Why don`t they go and talk to the people running the club and get their perspective on the issues and some answers for us fans?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kdy Par  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 10:32

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 18 Jul 10:01

The Courier could have written that based on comments on this forum. Why don`t they go and talk to the people running the club and get their perspective on the issues and some answers for us fans?

The standard of the reporting at The Courier has regressed massively in recent times.

They seem to be very pro Rovers these days.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 12:47

Spot on with your comments Wee Eck. Surely the Courier can approach Thomas Meggle for his take on things rather than ferment all the gossip going around during a rough time for the fans.
Disgruntlement at performances against League 2 opposition is nothing to do with communication from the top. It`s down to players and management. Although the squad is still light, they are supposed to be Championship level.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 13:05

The Courier and FFP are nothing more than Raith fanzines

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 13:21

is that because raith are maybe a more approachable club?

The rovers are also more of a good news club signings and just positive the complete opposite of Dunfermline just now
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 13:28

In my experience newspapers are just as interested in bad news as they are in good news. It seems to sell. A lot of papers just seem to churn out interviews and articles which fans can find from other sources and they have the cheek to charge a subscription for it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 13:28

Any journalist worth his salt would go and speak to the club rather than gossiping. As far as Raith goes, like I said before, it`s easy to be nice & approachable when you`re winning most weeks. Let`s see how luvvy they are when their form dips.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 13:36

To be honest, that is a fairly accurate write up of where we are currently from the Courier.

The communication from the club is a joke, we have had to rely on Chinese Whispers from their wee meetings with their selected supporters groups. That`s a crazy way to get information across.

If they have a message, a strategy, whatever that they want to get across, then have a bit confidence in it, and deliver the message
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 13:52

All about balance. If the courier were just regurgitating the official statements then that would be condemned by fans. It may be easy material for them but I`m glad they are printing fans concerns, regardless of whether it`s sourced from the man in the street or online.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 13:56

Maybe they have approached the club and the club have refused to speak to them, so they have gone to the fans boards to seek comments?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 14:07

Just lazy journalism from the courier. Click bait article adding nothing.

If they had approached the club, they would never included, "we approached the club for comment..."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 14:24

The Courier aren`t blameless. The club wasn`t happy with the way they reported McPake`s comments about competing in the transfer window. They reported them as a general statement that the club couldn`t compete with other Championship clubs but the manager said he was commenting on a specific question regarding Lee Ashcroft being offered £1700 a week by a C`ship club. He said there was no way we would pay that (quite rightly I would say) and it was reported as `can`t compete`.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 14:30

Quote:

Dave_1885, Thu 18 Jul 13:56

Maybe they have approached the club and the club have refused to speak to them, so they have gone to the fans boards to seek comments?

Well that`s a pretty bloody stupid way to behave as a journalist.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 14:34

Not so very long ago, one of The Courier`s sports reporters was outed as a Pars fan. Perhaps he is no longer there.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 14:54

When I was a Duty Manager at Carnegie. We had a drowning incident. The lifeguards successfully resuscitated the young girl.
Parents were singing their praises.
I was on the later shift but was in the hospital for something else when it happened.
It was a busy pool, and she was swimming along the bottom. Another swimmer stood on her, which is how she was discovered. There was no thrashing about or other easily noticeable warning.

I got a call from a Courier reporter.
I told him I wasn`t able to tell him anything because I wasn`t on shift, and strict protocol was for the Director to deal with it. I would have been disciplined for commenting, especially when I didn`t have all the facts.

The guy told me that if I didn`t give him a story, he would write something bad. I **** you not.
He wrote a load of pihs and finished it with, "... and this was in the same sports centre where a woman died in the gym last week."

The previous week, a colleague and I tried to resuscitate a poor woman who died of viral hypo-carditus. There was nothing we could do. It was very distressing for us and her friends who were present.

Bastards. I`ll never touch a Courier.
We got an apology in small print in an obscure part of the paper.

Post Edited (Thu 18 Jul 14:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 15:53

PARrot wrote:

> When I was a Duty Manager at Carnegie. We had a drowning
> incident. The lifeguards successfully resuscitated the young
> girl.
> Parents were singing their praises.
> I was on the later shift but was in the hospital for something
> else when it happened.
> It was a busy pool, and she was swimming along the bottom.
> Another swimmer stood on her, which is how she was discovered.
> There was no thrashing about or other easily noticeable
> warning.
>
> I got a call from a Courier reporter.
> I told him I wasn`t able to tell him anything because I wasn`t
> on shift, and strict protocol was for the Director to deal with
> it. I would have been disciplined for commenting, especially
> when I didn`t have all the facts.
>
> The guy told me that if I didn`t give him a story, he would
> write something bad. I **** you not.
> He wrote a load of pihs and finished it with, "... and this
> was in the same sports centre where a woman died in the gym
> last week."
>
> The previous week, a colleague and I tried to resuscitate a
> poor woman who died of viral hypo-carditus. There was nothing
> we could do. It was very distressing for us and her friends who
> were present.
>
> Bastards. I`ll never touch a Courier.
> We got an apology in small print in an obscure part of the
> paper.
>
>
>
> Post Edited (Thu 18 Jul 14:56)

Sadly, none of that surprises me. It’s become so much more common for journalists to deceive and bully for a story. Which is a real shame for the more talented of them that don’t resort to that.

The Courier has slowly become a complete Raith fan magazine, while we on the other hand are used for click bait for disgruntled pars fans and gloating wee team fans. The latest instalment may have some grains of truth in it, but it does read like extremely biased reporting.

Maybe the club should come out and address the article with some facts of their own if it’s inaccurate, or at least challenge the narrative more publicly. Or is there a fear that some of it is actually too close to the truth?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 15:59

If the club was not in such a mess from top to bottom then rags like the courier would have nothing negative to write about us.

What an opportunity we missed in 2014.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 16:13

Crikey, victim blaming has now reached .net!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 16:48

I thought it was well known that the courier’s
Sport reporter was a Rovers fan.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 17:01

Craig Cairns is a decent guy and relatively fair with his coverage of the Pars to be honest.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 17:16

Bannockburn Par wrote:

> Craig Cairns is a decent guy and relatively fair with his
> coverage of the Pars to be honest.

Most of the recent pieces hasn’t been by him.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 17:30

It`s one person`s view out of many different perspectives. The fact that it was written in a newspaper is of no consequence really.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Thu 18 Jul 21:37

Paul Allan wasn’t let go because he was good enough but we couldn’t afford to keep him. He was let go as mcpake had already saddled us with 19 players for this season and there was hardly anyone we could move on to get new faces in.

We never offered a contract to anyone who was out of contract.

If mcpake is not happy it won’t take long to translate into the results and the players, a house of cards can collapse pretty quickly in this game.

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 19 Jul 07:39

The Courier is an awful "paper". Click bait headlines to "premium" articles.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Fri 19 Jul 09:16

The courier clinging onto the Paul Allan thing is just weird. The management looked at the budget and decided it would be wiser to use the budget available to have a player like David Wotherspoon, rather than 2 players of Paul Allan’s level.

I don’t believe for a minute that the journo actually interpreted that piece of ‘news’ as he reported it. For whatever reason, the courier are twisting everything coming out of the club, to spread panic.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 19 Jul 09:31

As we found with all the speculation about Edwards, the press just scour places like this forum and report on it. They need to fill pages and don`t really care if it`s accurate. The more sensational the better for the web content. Keep them clicking, maybe they sign up for the 3 months for £1 and then forget they subscribed. It`s all a con.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Jul 09:43

It would seem the house of cards has already collapsed. It's mid July.

Post Edited (Fri 19 Jul 09:43)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Fri 19 Jul 14:34

Paul Allan should have been retained. It was plainly obviously he was developing nicely and one of the best dead ball crossers we had towards the end of last season.
I was genuinely surprised he was let go.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte

Post Edited (Fri 19 Jul 14:34)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Fri 19 Jul 14:40

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Fri 19 Jul 14:34

Paul Allan should have been retained. It was plainly obviously he was developing nicely and one of the best dead ball crossers we had towards the end of last season.

Agreed. He was obviously developing well and unfortunately it seems that some other club will get the benefit of our development work.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Fri 19 Jul 14:46

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Fri 19 Jul 14:34

I`m actually gutted for the lad and hope he kicks on. He would`ve really benefitted from witherspoon being alongside him. It makes me question what`s going on when they let him go.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 19 Jul 16:21

Hes that good he has been snapped up quickly this window…….oh wait…….
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Back_oh_the_net  
Date:   Fri 19 Jul 16:24

Quote:

Dave_1885, Fri 19 Jul 16:21

Hes that good he has been snapped up quickly this window…….oh wait…….

Exactly my thoughts
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Fri 19 Jul 21:27

I don’t see much wrong with the article. At least it is highlighting fans worries. If we had a capable first team and decent engagement there wouldn’t be a need for such an article.

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: irishmcbride  
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 01:31

Would this be the same Courier which willfully misquoted McPake a few weeks ago? They can do one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 01:52

Quote:

The Boss, Fri 19 Jul 21:27

I don’t see much wrong with the article. At least it is highlighting fans worries. If we had a capable first team and decent engagement there wouldn’t be a need for such an article.

Some fans worries

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 04:01

We are ***** have been for years. Going down. ***** who run the club don’t have a clue.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DNCH  
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 06:14

The problem with reporting like this is when it says things like "fans are getting restless" it`s clearly referring to things like Twitter/X posts. Anyone with a brain realize about 5% of Twitter/X users are 100% of the people who actually post on Twitter. But we`re expected to accept that as a cross section of fan sentiment. It`s poor, low quality and lazy journalism.

That said, they`re absolutely spot on.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 07:59

For what it’s worth, if chalmers had also been out of contract then I think Allan would have been kept and chalmers let go (or both let go) but Allan just wasnt good enough to regularly perform at this level.

Would like to see the total wage bill for all the championship clubs. I’d bet ours is mid table, it’s just feels like mcpake hasn’t used it as well as others as the higher earners are just not performing.

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 08:18

Quote:

Berkey, Sat 20 Jul 07:59

For what it’s worth, if chalmers had also been out of contract then I think Allan would have been kept and chalmers let go (or both let go) but Allan just wasnt good enough to regularly perform at this level.

Would like to see the total wage bill for all the championship clubs. I’d bet ours is mid table, it’s just feels like mcpake hasn’t used it as well as others as the higher earners are just not performing.

Last season, the squad performed better when allan featured. On a points per game basis.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 09:20

Time can ve both and advantage and disadvantage for us. I think we are behind the curve with respect to bringing in players for this seasons campaign. At this stage it looks like we will be relying on loans. In the longer term, I suspect we will be looking to bring players through the development system. This time I see as an important transition year for the club to bring these players through into the first team. I see us treading water in the championship to hopefully give the younger players the opportunity to break into the first team. If we get the development right, time is very much in our favour.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 14:01

Agree Indiapar, get through this season and hopefully some youngsters come through and we’ll also be able to free up enough wages next summer to allow for better experienced players who can contribute to be brought in.

I suspect it’s all about just staying in the league this year…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 14:33

Quote:

Berkey, Sat 20 Jul 14:01

Agree Indiapar, get through this season and hopefully some youngsters come through and we’ll also be able to free up enough wages next summer to allow for better experienced players who can contribute to be brought in.

Yes agree Berkey. We aren`t ready to compete in a higher league yet
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 14:41

Quote:

Berkey, Sat 20 Jul 14:01

It`s hard to believe mcpake will release the ones who need to leave.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 15:04

They either have a good season or there’s uproar if they are kept on despite not doing it on the park and in the end they will play mcpake out of a job.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Glenrothes Par  
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 15:29

I totally get this . Because I purchased tickets last season from the Raith web site
I get communications almost on a weekly basis from Raith Rovers about all the progress on and off the field. Not that I`m particularly interested but it says to me that Raith Rovers are very much more proactive regarding their supporters. Where there is a deathly silence of information from East End Park. Maybe they dont care about their supporters unless you want to spend money on new strips etc

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 15:52

Quote:

Glenrothes Par, Sat 20 Jul 15:29

I totally get this . Because I purchased tickets last season from the Raith web site
I get communications almost on a weekly basis from Raith Rovers about all the progress on and off the field. Not that I`m particularly interested but it says to me that Raith Rovers are very much more proactive regarding their supporters. Where there is a deathly silence of information from East End Park. Maybe they dont care about their supporters unless you want to spend money on new strips etc

Surely you get the weekly email from the Pars? They send out email communications every week.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Glenrothes Par  
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 16:06

Nope
No communication
I`m only a season ticket holder

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 16:52

Quote:

Glenrothes Par, Sat 20 Jul 16:06

Nope
No communication

Just counted, I’ve had 9 emails since the 1st June.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 16:58

I’m a season ticket holder and never get any.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 17:02

Quote:

dd23, Sat 20 Jul 16:58

I’m a season ticket holder and never get any.

Same here

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SteviePar  
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 17:05

If you’re not getting them dd23 it’s because they don’t have your email address, you’ve opted out at one point, or they’re getting blocked by your email provider. The club are sending out plenty of emails trying to sell us things. Just no information about what’s going on at the club.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jul 17:09

Quote:

SteviePar, Sat 20 Jul 17:05

If you’re not getting them dd23 it’s because they don’t have your email address, you’ve opted out at one point, or they’re getting blocked by your email provider. The club are sending out plenty of emails trying to sell us things. Just no information about what’s going on at the club.

They must have my email address because my season ticket was sent that way. Still, if it’s only marketing emails I’m not missing out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 22 Jul 19:41

Incidentally, I did see a sensationalist headline in The Courier today - "Hardest c**t in Dundee jailed". They (thankfully) at least added stars instead of spelling it out in full for us. The dialogue did make me laugh a bit though -

"On that occasion, Clark told them: “I’ll stick a f***ing needle in your neck.

“I’ll stab your dog, your cat, your maw, your gran, your daughter.

“You’re a dead man. I’m the hardest c**t in Dundee. Do you know who I am?"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Jul 23:02

Quote:

Glenrothes Par, Sat 20 Jul 16:06

Nope
No communication

So am I and I still get it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Jul 23:04

Quote:

red-star-par, Mon 22 Jul 19:41

Incidentally, I did see a sensationalist headline in The Courier today - "Hardest c**t in Dundee jailed". They (thankfully) at least added stars instead of spelling it out in full for us. The dialogue did make me laugh a bit though -

Is he Ronnie Pickering’s dundonian cousin?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 87Par  
Date:   Tue 23 Jul 03:31

Just got to hope he skies any strike against us. He could wip a baw in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 23 Jul 10:17

Quote:

Back_oh_the_net, Mon 22 Jul 23:04

Quote:

red-star-par, Mon 22 Jul 19:41

Is he Ronnie Pickering’s dundonian cousin?

I think Desperate Dan would sort him oot!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net