DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Was meggle more than we thought
Topic Originator: Dafc96  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 04:50

Do you think that now meggle and co are on their way out, do you think James and Dave will have more of a freedom to choose their own formation and style of football they want the team to play, all our manager has known is meggle and I feel he’s had this mentor effect on James and Dave. I feel from day one with James being a relatively young manger meggle seen this as a mentoring position as a “ come here son I will show you how to put a team on the park” situation.
I think meggle has had a stranglehold of everything DAFC
Is it time to let go of the reigns and show people that maybe just maybe meggle had more to do with what happened in the pitch than we all realised.
The next few weeks will tell especially if he can sign who he wants and where he plays them to play and especially get us up that league.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Was meggle more than we thought
Topic Originator: Back_oh_the_net  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 05:24

You could be right I mean even before James and Dave came in players were being played out of position case in point being dom Thomas virtually unplayable most weekend before these cretins came in then then he’s played out of position under grant and yogi time will tell though
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 06:17

I don’t know how much influence Meggle had on the team but I think it’s safe to assume he had some at least. The question is, why? What has Meggle achieved in football as a player or his short stint as a manager to merit any say on how a football team should be set up? Like, who is he?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 08:11

Whilst I don’t know if Meggle had any influence on how the team set up formation and tactics wise, I believe he didn’t pick who was signed to play in that formation. So the lack of quality experienced players in certain position is down to mcpake.

It would be great if mcpake suddenly changed tactics and we started attacking teams and being more offensive, it might even be enough for me to regain the faith in him.

I’m sure i read mcpake favoured the back 5 formation at dundee so not holding my breath.

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NMCmassive  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 14:45

Tbh I really think we won’t see much different from James and Dave. What’s happening in this team is what happened with his Dundee team.

Meggle came in with a big reputation but I’m wondering what he’s actually brought to the table? We won’t ever find out here but if he’s in Germany all the time, what could he bring? Unless it’s contacts and recruitment it’s basically nothing apart from a football chat over the phone 🤷🏻‍♂️

Could he have been a real asset? yeah.

Has he been? Not that I can see anyway

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 14:50

It`s not the case that he was `in Germany all the time` though was it? I`ve no idea what influence he had but I don`t think he was stuck in Germany.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 68guns  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 15:05

Don`t really think Meggle had much of a say other than to agree or disagree with potential signings identified by the manager.
The formation the manager plays probably relies heavily on a fit Matty Todd to go box to box and that`s been intermittent for the past season and a bit through injury.
We haven`t really had players playing out wide since league 1 and most of the players that played well have been signed full time like KRH, Otoo, Kane and Weatherspoon (although on reputation not on field performances).
Would have loved Fagan Walcott and Welch Hayes to have been signed but one is destined for higher and the other probably still out our price range.
With everything that`s went on this week it will be interesting to see if any of the local Directors step up to the mark and take a bit control.
A lot not right at the moment but need a bit unity and strong resolve to get through this.
As Berkey alluded to with McPakes preferred 5 at back formation, although he was on a winning run when he lost his job, a lot of the support were fed up watching negative football and not sad to see him go.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 15:37

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 17 Aug 14:50

It`s not the case that he was `in Germany all the time` though was it? I`ve no idea what influence he had but I don`t think he was stuck in Germany.

No he wasn’t stuck in Germany but how much influence can he have on the football if he’s no here for large parts of the season? Little to none I’d suggest

COYP
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 15:52

I don`t remember it ever being suggested he was intended to have a massive impact on the way we played. I thought it was more of a mentoring role.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 16:27

In fairness that’s how I remember it. Maybe the current state of affairs has everyone over analysing everything 🤷🏻‍♂️ I probably have been

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 16:34

Fair comment, NMC!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 17:01

So he had a mentoring role? Mentoring who? Peter Grant, John Hughes or James McPake? What would any of those 3 learn from someone with as little experience as Meggle? Unless I’ve completely got this wrong.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsAreTheLoveOfMyLife  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 18:53

I think Mengele had a massive influence on how the team was selected, and had a big say on who was signed.

Mengele will go down in history as someone who set pars back a few years.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 20:48

Well we can only see how we start our next game????

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 20:54

`Mengele will go down in history as someone who set pars back a few years.`

I hope that was a mis-type rather an attempt at a joke which is in very bad taste. Either way it should be corrected or deleted.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 21:07

Miss type Jake? Do you really think the club is in a better place now compared to 3/4 years ago?

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 21:14

What`s Jake got to do with it and is that another very tasteless joke?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 08:01

How on earth can someone say Meggle was involved in the signings?

90% of our signings had previous links to mcpake and his assistant.

As mentioned, mcpakes dundee team was a meh to watch, it’s how he wants his teams to play and he’s signed players with that in mind, hence the lack of goals or attacking options.

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 08:50

You would assume that Meggle’s knowledge of Scottish players would be pretty limited, so you could say with a good degree of certainty , that he would have gone with the manager?

In terms of team selection and tactics, then again, it’s fair to assume that he had some input during these Friday calls?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 09:18

Quote:

Alter Ego, Sat 17 Aug 21:07

Miss type Jake? Do you really think the club is in a better place now compared to 3/4 years ago?

No idea, Stevie.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 09:20

I`d be surprised if Meggle made the signings. Unfortunately MCpake overall has spent his albeit limited resources poorly giving new deals to players who aren`t good enough to compete at this level and the guys he has signed haven`t done that much. There have been maybe 2 successes but more bad ones than good ones.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARadise  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 10:57

I recently read the statement of when Grant was sacked i believe, which specifically stated that meggle would be involved in daily footballing matters, whatever that means we wont know but that suggests a significant influence and also as being a board member i can imagine being a manager working in that condition to be quite difficult

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 12:38

Signings were McPakes we can pin stuff on the owners but the signings were the managers. He hasn’t done well with his experienced signings.

Predictor league winner 2012/2013
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 13:00

Courier, December last year.

James McPake has hailed as ‘priceless’ his relationship with Thomas Meggle at Dunfermline Athletic.

The Pars boss has revealed the club’s German sporting director has ‘opened his eyes’ to some aspects of management over the course of their 18 months working together.

But he has stressed that Meggle has never once overstepped the mark and tried to influence his team selections.

Meggle and Nick Teller, a fellow board member and another of Dunfermline’s consortium owners at DAFC Fussball GmBH, were over in Scotland to visit the club last week.
McPake held lengthy discussions with the pair on Thursday ahead of the 2-1 defeat to Partick Thistle, which Teller watched from the main stand.

And the Fifers manager has explained the bonus of being able to tap into Meggle’s wealth of experience from his time as a player, assistant, head coach and sporting director with German side St Pauli.

McPake said: “It is brilliant to meet up with them, I genuinely mean that.

“Unless they have other business commitments I’d say [they’re here] probably every six weeks.

McPake: ‘Outside influence is brilliant’
“But I speak to Thomas most Mondays just to go over the game, which is great.

“Normally on Friday we have a video call: ‘What’s the team on Saturday, what are we looking for in the game?’.

“Thomas will say this himself, he has never once said, ‘you should play him, you should do this, do that’.

“From my point of view it’s priceless for me and Dave [Mackay, assistant] to have someone who has experienced a very high level of football in a foreign country. I have never had that.

“I have worked with Gordon Strachan [at Dundee], who was fantastic in terms of his career and the level that he had worked at. He had played international football.

“But Thomas has managed, played, coached and been sporting director at a German club.

“So, getting that outside influence for me and Dave is brilliant because it is a completely different game. It has opened our eyes up to certain different things.

“We believe we are better for it.

“It was a case of, ‘if you are comfortable, we would like to have these meetings’.

‘His career speaks for itself’
“Of course, we jumped at it because we wanted to ask questions.”

Whilst McPake and Mackay relish the sounding board, the Dunfermline boss is content they have free rein to make their own decisions.

McPake added: “Thomas watches every game, as do all the board members and Thomas is the footballing person on that.

“His career speaks for itself so he gives us his input.

“But the one thing I’ll stress, and he will stress it himself, is that he gives us his feedback – and then it’s up to us.”

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 13:57

One of the players I know confirmed that there was definitely an "ethos" that was preferred. Do the players share or like that ethos? No they do not.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 14:12

Quote:

sonofpetrie, Sun 18 Aug 13:57

One of the players I know confirmed that there was definitely an "ethos" that was preferred. Do the players share or like that ethos? No they do not.

Coming from Meggle rather than McPake?

Ethos in what sense? Formation, playing style?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 14:21

Quote:

fcda, Sun 18 Aug 14:12

Quote:

I`m guessing it`s the sportsmanship stuff that many if here pointed out was bollocks. I`m not suggesting our players become absolute gits, but everyone secretly enjoyed it when Cardle would show his olympic diving abilities in the box.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 17:10

Quote:

ParsAreTheLoveOfMyLife, Sat 17 Aug 18:53

I think Mengele had a massive influence on how the team was selected, and had a big say on who was signed.

Mengele will go down in history as someone who set pars back a few years.

Mengele 😂

It would be funny if his grandad was named Joseph

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 17:14

Quote:

Makes me wonder what this ethos is/was?

I’m sure it was Jim Leishmann that put up the winning team sign and in terms of ethos/club culture-I thought that was it. Work as a team to win 🤷🏻‍♂️

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 18:32

Quote:

jake89, Sun 18 Aug 14:21

Quote:

fcda, Sun 18 Aug 14:12

Quote:

I`m guessing it`s the sportsmanship stuff that many if here pointed out was bollocks. I`m not suggesting our players become absolute gits, but everyone secretly enjoyed it when Cardle would show his olympic diving abilities in the box.

From Meggle. A general expectation of playing style leading to McPake`s formations to accommodate.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 18:41

It`s funny how there have been quite a few fans on here saying that when McPake was at Dundee he had them playing the same way and a lot of Dee fans didn`t like it. Now it`s being suggested he plays this way with us because of Meggle`s influence. Both views can`t be right surely?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 19:23

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 18 Aug 18:41

It`s funny how there have been quite a few fans on here saying that when McPake was at Dundee he had them playing the same way and a lot of Dee fans didn`t like it. Now it`s being suggested he plays this way with us because of Meggle`s influence. Both views can`t be right surely?

I see what you’re saying and I think you’re correct.

What I really want to see is if he would he be able to develop a squad beyond the point that he had previously at Dundee but under the current restrictions, I don’t know if he’ll get that opportunity 🤷🏻‍♂️

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 20:23

I highly doubt Meggle was telling McPake how to play…more of McPake played what he could and it’s dire… But Dundee fans did tell us after a while his tactics/play was brutal so??

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 20:29

Quote:

Alter Ego, Sun 18 Aug 20:23

I highly doubt Meggle was telling McPake how to play…more of McPake played what he could and it’s dire… But Dundee fans did tell us after a while his tactics/play was brutal so??

So.......no one gives him a chance ever again?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 20:35

McPake being the manager is always going to carry the can for poor performances and results but I do wonder what Dave McKay brings to the table ? They are both too similar for my liking…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 21:37

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 18 Aug 20:29

Quote:

of course someone gives him a chance it’s just some on here would rather take a few rat dundee fans word for it and confine the guy to the managerial scrap heap
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 21:51

Quote:

Back_oh_the_net, Sun 18 Aug 21:37

Quote:

Quote:

of course someone gives him a chance it’s just some on here would rather take a few rat dundee fans word for it and confine the guy to the managerial scrap heap

I hope you’re no putting me in that category. I think he deserves a chance but I’m not sure he’s getting a fair crack of the whip to have a go. The squads that thin he must be feeling restricted. I’d be much happier if he had got 3/4 players we should have got over summer.

COYP

Post Edited (Sun 18 Aug 21:51)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 21:52

Quote:

NMCmassive, Sun 18 Aug 21:51

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hope you’re no putting me in that category. I think he deserves a chance but I’m not sure he’s getting a fair crack of the whip to have a go. The squads that think he must be feeling restricted. I’d be much happier if he had got 3/4 players we should have got over summer.

Of course I’m not 👍🏻
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 22:00

Quote:

Back_oh_the_net, Sun 18 Aug 21:52

Quote:

NMCmassive, Sun 18 Aug 21:51

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hope you’re no putting me in that category. I think he deserves a chance but I’m not sure he’s getting a fair crack of the whip to have a go. The squads that think he must be feeling restricted. I’d be much happier if he had got 3/4 players we should have got over summer.

Of course I’m not 👍🏻

👍🏻

I’ve been critical of him but I’m definitely not saying we should sack him.

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 09:04

I understand the constraints he’s been put under, supposedly, but that doesn’t let him off the hook and Im still 100% calling for him to go. We are absolutely dire.

This is possibly the worst Pars team Ive seen in my time of being a fan and Im shocked it’s beating the Potter one of League One fame…….

Managers make the signings, managers set the tactics, managers set the formation. Im not buying this “Meggles been in his ear every week” b*llocks posted on here. He’s even said himself that Meggle has zero influence on his team selections.

His time is up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 09:28

Given what`s happening at the club just now, who would take the decision to sack the manager and who would be responsible for appointing a replacement? I can`t see anything happening just now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 09:36

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 19 Aug 09:28

Given what`s happening at the club just now, who would take the decision to sack the manager and who would be responsible for appointing a replacement? I can`t see anything happening just now.

I suspect it would be the board with more weight being handed to local members who are staying. That being said, the outgoing members are not going to let their investment deteriorate. So it will be a balancing act.

When the time is right, they will all know its time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 09:40

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 19 Aug 09:28

The club is still being run in the same way as before, the only difference is that the investment group are now looking to sell their part of the business. That shouldn’t impact on decision making as they may not make a sale for years.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 09:55

Having just been allocated additional funds for his playing budget, the manager`s position would not appear to be at risk at the moment.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 15:56

The board remains the same until someone comes in to buy out Meggle and Co. I don`t know what sort of investment would be needed but there are quite a few local businesses who already sponsor the Pars.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net