DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Next UK PM (2)
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 13:50

Sunak throwing his hat in the ring? Hunt saying he won’t.

Who else?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Next UK PM (2)
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 14:11

Does it matter? There`s not a decent one among them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 14:12

Early odds:

Next Prime Minister, UK

Rishi Sunak 2/5
Penny Mordaunt 4/1
Ben Wallace 7/1
Boris Johnson 10/1
Kemi Badenoch 18/1
Michael Gove 25/1
Theresa May 30/1
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 14:23

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Thu 20 Oct 14:12

Early odds:

Next Prime Minister, UK

Rishi Sunak 2/5
Penny Mordaunt 4/1
Ben Wallace 7/1
Boris Johnson 10/1
Kemi Badenoch 18/1
Michael Gove 25/1
Theresa May 30/1

If Boris stands he wins it easily.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 14:28

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Thu 20 Oct 14:12
Fixed it for you.... 🤣
Early odds:

Next Prime Minister, UK
A lettuce. 2/1
Rishi Sunak 2/5
A Greggs sausage roll 3/1
Penny Mordaunt 4/1
Rachel Riley. 6/1
Ben Wallace 7/1
My mates dog 8/1
Boris Johnson 10/1
Charlie pontoon. 12/1
Kemi Badenoch 18/1
Mr Blobby. 20/1
Michael Gove 25/1
Bill Bailey. 27/1
Theresa May 30/1
Peter Griffin. 30/1

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 15:03

Boris went from 12/1 to 3/1 in last hour!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 15:08

Larry the Number 10 cat is not ameowsed…another tummy rubber to be trained up in between mousing. He at least will remembered in pawsterity for not telling tails

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 15:33

It would save a lot of time if they just had a game of musical chairs to choose their next leader.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 15:51

Love it wee eck .. can just see Boris the Brave bumping them all out the way !! :-)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 16:07

Aye, like he clattered that wee boy when he was playing rugby!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 16:11

Steve Baker will hopefully go for it, with Krishnan Guru-Murthy as his campaign manager....that would be lively.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 16:17

I think Johnson, Badenoch, or Braverman would probably be even worse than Truss. I wonder which one they will choose.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 16:25

bjo_xhjcve

Post Edited (Thu 20 Oct 16:26)

Post Edited (Thu 20 Oct 16:29)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 17:53

I think the lettuce has a chance but its policies might be too green for some Tories.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 19:20

Quote:

aaaaaaaaaargh, Thu 20 Oct 16:17

I think Johnson, Badenoch, or Braverman would probably be even worse than Truss. I wonder which one they will choose.

I thought we`d hit rock bottom with the Blustering Buffoon, but Truss managed to dig down even deeper. I wouldn`t rule out the next incumbent making an even worse mess....

The Labour Party must be rubbing their hands.....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 22:29

Run Scotland run, before it’s too late.

Get away from these expensively educated, dangerous, incompetent, crooked, blithering idiots before they completely destroy society and our wonderful country ( Scotland )

And as was said up above , I don’t give a fig which one of those jibbering idiots becomes the next PM as they are all cut from the same cloth and none of them care in the slightest about the well-being of the Scottish people.

They make me physically sick. As do people in Scotland who enthusiastically support them and their doctrine.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 23:27

Watching the post-mortems on Truss`s premiership I don`t think the Tories are taking ownership of the chaos they have caused in the financial markets and the effect that has had on people`s lives with higher mortgage and borrowing costs. They seem more concerned about their electoral chances and think they deserve the chance to put things right so they don`t lose the next election by a landslide.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 08:40

Need to remember that the Tories are not the UK. Most in the rest of the UK now feel the same about the Tories. The issue is that they voted for them in great numbers, whereas Scotland didn`t.

Westminster is broken. It`s so outdated in its approach it`s incredible. They need to review the election voting approach, have an ELECTED second chamber and get some bloody electronic voting system put in. Close Westminster, make it a museum, move parliament to a building that`s actually fit for purpose.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 10:28

Boris is now 13/8 second favourite to be next PM.

You really couldn`t make it up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 10:33

I see Truss, like all former PMs, can claim a grant of up to £115k pa to cover `necessary office and secretarial costs arising from their special position in public life`. At first I thought it was a one-off grant but in fact they can claim it every year as long as they are still active in public life and the length of their tenure as PM is irrelevant.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 10:52

There must be a way of measuring that though? Are the likes of Tony Blair and John Major still receiving it?

Surely there should be a minimum period related to eligibility?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 11:05

According to the Guardian :-

`The former prime ministers are entitled to claim for necessary office and secretarial costs arising from their special position in public life. In 2020-21, John Major and Tony Blair claimed the maximum allowance; Gordon Brown claimed £114,712; David Cameron claimed £113,423 and Theresa May £57,832.`

I presume they have to substantiate their claims in some way.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 11:24

Quote:

moviescot, Fri 21 Oct 10:28

Boris is now 13/8 second favourite to be next PM.

You really couldn`t make it up.

Thought he was coming back to face the covid enquiry?

He is in the Caribbean on holiday just now, probably donated by one of his supporters, is that 6/8 weeks holidays he has been on? Who is running his constituency?

As usual the TV interviews still find his supporters, unfortunately all about my age, do they not know what he has been up to?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 11:58

I do find it odd that no one in the media has questioned why he is on holiday when Parliament is in session. Prior to going on holiday I think he was doing promotional stuff abroad.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 13:05

He will be subject of investigation by Privileges Committee due to missing 10 days (or 14 days) of a sitting parliament.

There will be a recall petition which will likely to him loosing his seat and forcing a by-election!

But then again when has BJ ever stuck to the rules.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 14:13

Maybe I am massively oversimplifying things, but it looks like Boris Johnson is going to be PM again by this time next week and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

They way they have set the rules, he is almost certainly going to get the 100 nominations to be in the running on Monday. If he gets the 140+ nominations that people are talking about, then it will be very difficult for 2 others to get 100 nominations each. That would mean he will probably be in a head-to-head that will be chosen by the party members. I don`t think there are any other candidates that will beat him.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 14:27

He`s got that committee looking into whether he lied to Parliament. I don`t think they can stop him becoming PM but I think they can ban him from the H of C which might be awkward.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 14:51

It`s going to be another huge mess. It wouldn`t surprise me if we have another PM next year.

The only tiny chance they have of avoiding Johnson is to hope that there is a 3-way MP`s vote then do lots of scheming to make sure the other two make it through. In the unlikely even that this happens, the next PM will probably be Mordaunt (or maybe Badenoch).

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 15:00

Badenoch is unlikely to run apparently. Some MPs are threatening to resign the whip if Johnson is elected.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 15:56

Mordaunt has confirmed she is running.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 16:08

There is going to be a lot of fighting in the next few days, then.
It would be fun to watch them tearing lumps out of each other if they weren`t in power. Their nonsense will affect lives.

If it is clear that Johnson will lose his majority if he is elected then he might have second thoughts and stand aside. Then again he might just take the job then call a general election. Many of the MPs who resign the whip would probably end up losing their jobs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 16:47

The only chance the Tories have, and even then it is a slim chance, is to bring back Johnson and call an immediate election. It would be a move from the `so ludicrous it might just work` book. If they wait another 18 months things will likely be even worse economically. Right now I fear is the lull before the storm in that regard.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Oct 17:28

Topic Originator: wee eck
Date: Fri 21 Oct 15:56

Mordaunt has confirmed she is running.

This will be enough to get her the job !! :-))

3rd down press play

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62163328

Post Edited (Fri 21 Oct 17:30)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 20:25

Quote:

aaaaaaaaaargh, Fri 21 Oct 14:13

Maybe I am massively oversimplifying things, but it looks like Boris Johnson is going to be PM again by this time next week and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

They way they have set the rules, he is almost certainly going to get the 100 nominations to be in the running on Monday. If he gets the 140+ nominations that people are talking about, then it will be very difficult for 2 others to get 100 nominations each. That would mean he will probably be in a head-to-head that will be chosen by the party members. I don`t think there are any other candidates that will beat him.

He`s now second fav with the bookies at 15/8, behind Sunak. If he can get into the final 2 with Sunak, the party members will put him back in No 10. There`s no way the majority are going to vote for a man (or woman) from an ethnic minority background and a different skin tone to boot.....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 21:12

If Johnson is elected he`ll have a hard time getting legislation through the Commons as so many MPs are against him. For that reason there seem to be moves afoot by some senior Tories to persuade him not to stand because they know if it goes to the members he`ll probably win. For probably the first time in his life will he do something which isn`t motivated by self-interest?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 22:08

Well it looks like the only person who can save us from Boris Johnson is Boris Johnson. Let`s see if he is capable of putting his ego to one side.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 22:33

If that blustering *******, forced out of office in disgrace, does go on to become PM again, we really will have reached the lowest point in the political history of the UK. I heard some radio coverage of it this morning and felt thoroughly miserable afterwards. For the first time ever, I had the thought that I might just chuck everything, leave the country, and go and work abroad. If he comes back from that after a couple of months, I really will be left wondering what the point is.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sat 22 Oct 23:34

Quote:

Socks, Sat 22 Oct 22:33

If that blustering *******, forced out of office in disgrace, does go on to become PM again, we really will have reached the lowest point in the political history of the UK. I heard some radio coverage of it this morning and felt thoroughly miserable afterwards. For the first time ever, I had the thought that I might just chuck everything, leave the country, and go and work abroad. If he comes back from that after a couple of months, I really will be left wondering what the point is.

We`re already at the lowest point. The inevitability of Boris coming back is just the icing on that cake. Independence now!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 08:25

Quote:

Socks, Sat 22 Oct 22:33

My sentiments entirely, Socks. Scotland has been my home for over 60 years now, but the English Tories are hell bent on wrecking it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 09:11

"He`s now second fav with the bookies at 15/8, behind Sunak. If he can get into the final 2 with Sunak, the party members will put him back in No 10. There`s no way the majority are going to vote for a man (or woman) from an ethnic minority background and a different skin tone to boot....."

Its not the colour of the mans skin that concerns me .. Its the fact that Sunak and his multi millionaire wife tried to cheat the system and not pay tax while he was Chancellor

If the papers are to be believed Sunak has had a meeting with Boris the Brave
If true I can see a deal coming

Sunak .. PM
Boris .. Foreign Seccy

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 10:53

I`m pretty sure Johnson will be PM or a backbencher. I would be very surprised if he accepts something in the middle.

I read that Sunak and Johnson would talk today, and I expected that Sunak would only announce that he would stand once Johnson had agreed to stand aside, but that doesn`t appear to be the case.

Unless Johnson finds a conscience in the next 24 hours, or some rich tory offers him a `business opportunity` if he agrees to step aside, then he is the next PM. Maybe the independence vote shoul be brought forward to next week.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 14:27

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 23 Oct 09:11

"He`s now second fav with the bookies at 15/8, behind Sunak. If he can get into the final 2 with Sunak, the party members will put him back in No 10. There`s no way the majority are going to vote for a man (or woman) from an ethnic minority background and a different skin tone to boot....."

Its not the colour of the mans skin that concerns me .. Its the fact that Sunak and his multi millionaire wife tried to cheat the system and not pay tax while he was Chancellor

If the papers are to be believed Sunak has had a meeting with Boris the Brave
If true I can see a deal coming

Sunak .. PM
Boris .. Foreign Seccy

I`m sure his skin colour is of no concern to you, BPP, but to many of the 170,000 mainly white, middle aged, mostly wealthy, Tory party members, (the Little Englanders) this will certainly be a consideration. Why else did they vote in that clueless woman ahead of him, last month, when Tory MPs had consistently voted for Sunak in every round?

It`s an ill wind, though. Truss has totally destroyed any credibility the Tories had left after the mess Johnson left and there`s no way Sunak can sort that out before the next GE.

Johnson`s odds have now lengthened to 27/5 suggesting he may not get the 100 nominations needed and even if he does, he may not have the brass neck to stand again.. on second thoughts... 🤔

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 14:53

On the radio earlier I heard them refer to Sunak but then it was Penny when talking about Mordaunt.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 16:12

One thing that annoys me is when BBC journalists, who are are supposed to be neutral, refer to Johnson as `Boris` as if he were a cuddly toy or a family pet.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 16:27

He is wee eck.. Boris the Gruffallo

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 16:36

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 23 Oct 16:12

One thing that annoys me is when BBC journalists, who are are supposed to be neutral, refer to Johnson as `Boris` as if he were a cuddly toy or a family pet.

Me too. I think it comes across like he was everybody`s favourite uncle. He`s anything but. A lying, unprincipled, repugnant individual who acted with impunity from the moment the result of Brexit was announced until he was forced to resign. Not an ounce of humility. My only Tory pal said he was the worst PM ever - that was before his resignation. It must be a dead heat between him and Truss.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 18:07

I don`t think I have read a better description on Boris the Brave than the above from G.G.

Factor in :- JRM .. Gove. Truss .. Raab .. Shapps .. Hunt .. Sunak .. Dorries .. and we have the full set

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 19:39

Boris and Penny Vs Sunak. I`m fairly sure it was Radio 4 I heard it on too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 19:43

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 23 Oct 18:07

I don`t think I have read a better description on Boris the Brave than the above from G.G.

Factor in :- JRM .. Gove. Truss .. Raab .. Shapps .. Hunt .. Sunak .. Dorries .. and we have the full set

Why thank you, Sir. One does one`s best to report factually and accurately, without fear or favour. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 23 Oct 21:31

Johnson has folded his hand. Whether it ever contained his claimed 100 MPs is open to doubt. Even if it did, there was a danger that he might lose if a vote went to the membership. Sunak polled 42% last time amongst them and if Johnson lost in such a ballot he would be finished politically for all time. His Churchill moment now depends upon a full scale European war, which I am sure he will be happy to promote.

I don`t think the race angle was so significant for Sunak last time out. More a case of him being the man who wielded the dagger to remove Johnson. Badenoch and Braverman are darlings of the Tory faithful despite their ethnic heritage.

How Sunak copes as PM we will discover but he does clearly have the backing of the banking classes. If he can retain that without sparking too much public discontent, then Starmer has a job on his hands to show why he is any different from the man he wants to replace.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 06:32

The BBC`s Nick Eardly has just said Johnson`s public supporters were less than 60. Perhaps the remainder were too embarrassed to openly endorse him or perhaps he`s just lying again? On previous form.....

In some ways it`s a shame he`s withdrawn - he could have further extensively damaged the Tory party, which is already riven with divisions and infighting, like starving rats on a sinking ship.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 06:45

Yes, it`s a shame he has withdrawn. I suspect they will find a way of fighting about being "forced" to led by Sunak now.

Hopefully they will wake up soon and remember they are meant to be running the country rather than squabbling.

The sooner Angela Rayner is deputy PM the better.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 10:56

Raynor certainly comes across as an impressive and savvy operator. Certainly more so than the shadow Chancellor Rachel Reeves. At pmq`s she sits there grinning away, no doubt enjoying the mess the Tories are in and that she is heading for one of the biggest jobs after the next election. Raynor remains steely eyed knowing the hardship ordinary folks are going through which such turmoil is only worsening.

Having a European nation led by a second generation immigrant, one who is a Hindu, is actually a tremendous achievement and one we can all be proud of. I`m quite certain that it wouldn`t happen in any other major European state.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 11:46

Indeed TOWK, Labour and Tory benches at Westminster reflect UK diversity, the SNP ones don’t. Not everybody up here is white and looks likes they ate all the Scotch pies…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 12:06

Humza Yousaf would disagree with you Parboiled

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 12:09

We can always depend on you to lower the standard of any discussion to the lowest common denominator. Have you got any stats to support your point, especially regarding weight? I doubt if there`s any public information available on that subject.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 13:04

TOWK, Humza doesn’t sit in Westminster. He is most noted for falling off his mobility scooter in a Holyrood corridor.
Thankfully he is only half the weight of Blackford or his equally obese deputy at Westminster, so the only damage was to his pride.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 13:29

No stats then.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 13:36

So ethnic minorities are allowed in parliament as long as they don`t eat too much? Is that how it works?

Interestingly the Scottish parliament actually has better representation of ethnic minorities than the UK parliament. 6 of the 129 MSPs are from ethnic minorities, which is slightly above the national average. In the UK parliament there are around 10 percent which is slightly below the national average of 13 percent.

Currently 1 out of 44 SNP MPs in Westminster are from an ethnic minority background. If they had a second one then they would actually be slightly overrepresented.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 13:38

Quote:

Parboiled, Mon 24 Oct 13:04

TOWK, Humza doesn’t sit in Westminster. He is most noted for falling off his mobility scooter in a Holyrood corridor.
Thankfully he is only half the weight of Blackford or his equally obese deputy at Westminster, so the only damage was to his pride.

Anum Qaisar is an MP.
That`s 1 out of 47 SNP MPs which isn`t great. However I believe 3 other people from ethnic minorities stood but were unsuccessful. Tasmina Ahmed Sheik being most noticeable as she was sitting MP and lost her seat. If she had held her seat then more than 4% of SNP MPs would have been from ethnic minorities. Scotland has an ethnic minority population of just under 4%.

22 Tory MPs are from ethnic minorities. Make 6.16% UK ethnic minority population is 14.4%
41 Labour MPs are from ethnic minorities. Making just over 20% of their MPs.

The party failing most to represent the diversity of the countries population are the Tories.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 14:21

Don`t even waste a second of your valuable time replying to his bait.

He is a heidbanger..........

He is the same down his local too.........

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 14:27

🎣

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 14:38

I see Ms Quaisar has already thrown Sunak one 🥥

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 16:23

JRM .. More faces than the Toon Clock :-

More reaction now to Rishi Sunak`s victory, this time from Jacob Rees-Mogg.

The current business secretary, who backed Liz Truss in the summer leadership contest and Boris Johnson this time around, says he "will support [Sunak`s] leadership".

"Now is the time for party unity and I congratulate Rishi Sunak on his victory,"

Rees-Mogg, who previously referred to Sunak as a "socialist" for raising taxes when he was chancellor

Post Edited (Mon 24 Oct 16:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 16:32

He`ll be hoping for a job.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 16:35

Ff1qGXzWQAAxM-4.jpg

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 17:22

Quote:

desparado, Mon 24 Oct 14:21

Don`t even waste a second of your valuable time replying to his bait.

He is a heidbanger..........

He is the same down his local too.........

What local is this?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 18:00

Is it maybe worth highlighting that only 4% of Scotland`s population isn`t white? We are a far less diverse country in terms of race than England.

Having just one non-white MP would give the SNP an acceptable quota, though quotas would be a ridiculous way of identifying suitable candidates imo (the SNP would need to chuck one of their MSPs as they`d be over the "quota").

What IS important is having proactive MPs/MSPs who effectively deliver for their constituents. The colour of someone`s skin shouldn`t be relevant.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 19:42

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 24 Oct 10:56

Having a European nation led by a second generation immigrant, one who is a Hindu, is actually a tremendous achievement and one we can all be proud of. I`m quite certain that it wouldn`t happen in any other major European state.

I`d put that 2nd only to Obama being elected USA President, TOWK, but I doubt he`d have made it if Johnson had gathered enough nominations to put it to the Tory party members. (He says he had 102 MPs backing him, but quite frankly, I don`t believe that for a nanosecond. A man who has the brass neck to attempt a comeback only weeks after being forced to resign, would never pass up the chance if it presented itself.)

If the members voted for the wooden Truss over Sunak, they would surely have also preferred Johnson over Sunak, many of whom see him as a loveable rogue. 🤢

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Oct 21:34

Well there ye go :-

First Asian P.M.

Elected with no votes

No mandate

Tried to cheat the UK tax system when he was Chancellor

Stabbed Boris between his rather broad shoulder blades

Failed miserably at his first attempt to be P.M.

But hold the tiger .. Tory jobs are at stake here

So lets welcome Rishi Sunak with open arms

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Oct 11:21

There has been a lot of discussion this morning about him being our first Asian PM but it has also been pointed out, sometimes by fellow Asians, that he was privately-educated, got a PPE (Hons) from Oxford, worked in the City and is very wealthy, albeit mainly via his wife`s family fortune. He ticks a lot of Tory boxes and he`s a pretty right-wing one at that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Oct 11:32

Would you also hold it against Humza Yousaf for being privately educated and is it a black mark against millionaire Ian Blackford for being a former investment banker?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Oct 11:46

I don`t `hold anything against` Sunak apart from him being a Tory. I was simply pointing out that his route to the leadership of the Tory party was hardly unconventional.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Oct 13:24

The UK is "doomed" and on a path to being "the sick man of Europe" because of the way Brexit was negotiated, according to a past Tory supporter.

Guy Hands, who runs private equity firm Terra Firma and has been a Brexit critic, warned the UK faces higher taxes, lower benefits and a possible International Monetary Fund bailout.

Mr Hands said the Conservative Party needed to admit it has made "mistakes".
A Treasury spokesperson said the UK economic fundamentals were "resilient".
Mr Hands`s comments come after a tumultuous period sparked by the mini-budget.

But he suggested the problems facing the UK go back much further.
"The reality is when they did Brexit, they had a dream. And the dream was a low-tax, low-benefit economy," he told the BBC`s Today programme.

Outgoing Prime Minister Liz Truss had tried to push through those policies, he said, but it had not worked.

"Once you accept that you can`t actually do that, then the Brexit that was done is completely hopeless, and will only drive Britain into a disastrous economic state," Mr Hands said.

"So I think [if] the Tory party can own up to the mistake they made and how they negotiated Brexit and have somebody leading who actually has the intellectual capability and the authority to renegotiate Brexit, there is a possibility of turning around the economy, but without that the economy is frankly doomed."

However he added that the Conservative Party was, in his view, not fit to run the country.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Oct 14:47

The Truss administration of 45 days ticked all the diversity boxes with Kwarteng, Braverman and Cleverly masquerading as Chancellor, Home Secretary and Foreign Secretary.

Except a closer look tells us there was little diversity whatsoever. All four had either been privately educated and/or attended Oxbridge universities. This is the norm and barely commented upon by a media controlled by people from a similar background themselves. Only 1% of university students attend Oxbridge yet these two universities have supplied 13 of the 17 Prime Ministers in my lifetime, an astonishing statistic. Of the 4 ‘outsiders’, Callaghan, Major and Brown only got the top job because their PM resigned while in office. The notion that Oxbridge produces the cream of political talent has surely been demolished by the efforts of Truss and Kwarteng over the past few weeks.

Truss is not exceptional in being a wealthy member of government. It’s estimated that 2/3rds of the recent cabinet members have been millionaires. These are people who preach water and drink wine.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Oct 17:08

I have heard private education and Oxbridge mentioned many, many times today on the BBC. I suppose they didn`t get the memo telling them not to talk about it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Oct 17:23

Where someone went to school or how much money they have is pretty irrelevant tbh. Where it becomes problematic is when we have a disproportionate number of people in parliament with very similar backgrounds. That simply isn`t representative.

Pointing to Sunak`s wealth is a nonsense and a smokescreen.

I`m unlikely to ever vote Tory, but he seems to be the best of a bad bunch and he`s got rid of Rees-Mogg so is off to a solid start.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Oct 17:31

I always thought Sunak would be PM as he is the total opposite of the buffoon known as Boris .. but trying to cheat HMRC when his wife gets £18 million a year from her Dads business finished that thought for me

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 25 Oct 17:47

He’s brought Cruella and Grabby Hancock back, too

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 25 Oct 18:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRDLIOME47c

Post Edited (Thu 27 Oct 13:36)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Oct 19:01

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic comes to mind, usual mugs in the cabinet!

Coffey.....3rd appointment, she will be a success sometime.

Braverman.....back in the same job she just resigned from.

Williamson appears in Downing Street....send in the clowns!🥳🥸🤓🤡

Absolutely stinks of ERG!💩💩💩💩💩
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Oct 19:05

There ye go Raymie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRDLIOME47c

Superb btw I have posted many times on the book Britannia Unchained

Post Edited (Tue 25 Oct 19:15)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Oct 09:47

I see the Lard of the Isles had kind words and a consoling hand on a detested Tory shoulder yesterday..poor thing was disappointed in the post she had been given.
Maybe trying to lure her over to his side? Need to squeeze up though, she is nearly as hefty as him.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Oct 11:55

She`s got the right post if she wants to bring fox hunting back, pity the poor horse that`s carrying her!🦊🐺🐎
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 09:19

Looking like the pledged triple lock is back in doubt .. Sunak needing billions to plug the economic hole .. So lets take it from the poorest paid pensioners in Europe :-((

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 10:27

Quote:

buffy, Tue 25 Oct 17:47

He’s brought Cruella and Grabby Hancock back, too

I feared Sunak might sort out the Tory party enough to give them a fighting chance at the next GE. I needn`t have worried. Cruella even makes Priti Patel look like an almost reasonable human being. 😨

The quicker we get rid of these imposters and charlatans the better.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 16:33

Breaking from Aunty :-

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak will not attend the COP27 climate conference in Egypt next month, No 10 says

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Oct 19:35

Pharaoh enough

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Nov 12:15

Quote:

Buspasspar, Thu 27 Oct 16:33

Breaking from Aunty :-

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak will not attend the COP27 climate conference in Egypt next month, No 10 says

That lasted a long time!🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Nov 14:53

The sooner this lot are gone the better. The NHS is on its knees, public sector is being further starved of funds making areas like social care even harder to deliver, tanked the economy, cocked up immigration, destroyed relationships with neighbouring countries. What a mess.

I genuinely struggle to remember when I last felt things were going well in the UK.

The only thing I think anyone can do is have a chuckle at the brexiteers who can`t blame Europe anymore.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Nov 16:35

Apparently 321 MP`s are holding Irish passports, giving them freedom of movement,

Brexit eh!!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Nov 11:04

Why the Buffoon didn`t make a comeback....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/06/boris-johnson-quit-pm-race-over-risk-to-10m-earnings-sources-say

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Nov 12:37

Infosys in Russia becoming a thorn in Rishi`s side!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Nov 14:55

Starmer consigning Labour to the bin in Scotland, " to many foreigners in the NHS" and "you`ve lost freedom of movement, it ain`t coming back"

Surely vote winning statements!🤔😲🤣
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Nov 16:13

In a way he`s right. The NHS is crying out for more doctors and nurses. Why aren`t people born here taking these jobs? Why aren`t we training enough of them?

Where he`s not right is that simply turning off that tap of educated foreign labour is stupid.and the UK can very much return to the EU should it wish to.

The problem with Labour is they can`t decide if they`re left or right. They don`t want support Scottish independence as Labour voters in Scotland wouldn`t vote for them. Unfortunately, those Labour voters have jumped ship already.

Unless they become more centrist, they are unelectable even with these idiots in charge. Sunak could leave a turd in every toilet in England and those numpties would still vote Tory. He could knock down their homes and they`d thank him.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Nov 17:43

Labour have got to appeal to right-of-centre voters in England and left-of-centre voters in Scotland. That`s tricky on issues like immigration and the EU.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sun 6 Nov 18:58

I heard him on the radio this morning. Talking about the collapse of labour support in Scotland and what they`re doing to regain it. It was something along the lines "listening to what people want, not taking them for granted and dictating to them".

This just a minute or two after rejecting the idea of another referendum as it`s "not my priority".

It was the usual story of using the Scottish media to talk to England.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Nov 19:05

Thing is a very small majority of the electorate in Scotland don`t want a referendum so in someways he is speaking to Scotland.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Nov 19:53

Apparently he agreed the UK was a voluntary union but dodged the question when asked what the democratic route was for Scotland to hold an independence referendum. He`s just kicking the can down the road like all unionist parties.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Nov 20:48

Jesus. Just watch the interview. Complete car crash. Says NOT to allow immigrants to take up health service jobs. That`s EXACTLY where they`re needed, especially in Scotland.

This is where the union really doesn`t work. England considers itself "full" whereas Scotland`s population remains broadly static but aging. We NEED young people in this country.

I really cannot comprehend why the opposition is so against another vote. If it`s so confident that Scotland is better off in the union, why not allow a vote? The fact they even need to "allow" one speaks volumes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Nov 08:14

It`s not going well for Labour in Scotland...

Click here
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 7 Nov 09:13

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 6 Nov 19:05

Thing is a very small majority of the electorate in Scotland don`t want a referendum so in someways he is speaking to Scotland.

If he`d said "it`s not the Scottish people`s priority" I`d have let it pass. It was the contradiction I was pointing out. It`s same old Labour, telling us what`s best for us.

His thoughts on immigration and Brexit were also, and more so, directed at swing voters in England rather at Scotland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Nov 10:00

Maybe it has always been this way, but I get the impression that there is a growing tendency to present everything as black and white when it is clearly not the case.

The simple fact is that a minority of people in Scotland are strong supporters of independence and a minority are fervent unionists. Trying to present either `camp` as being a dominant majority is pointless (and clearly wrong).

The same is true of immigration. Is immigration a good thing? Sometimes. Is immigration a bad thing? Sometimes. Can we identify `good` and `bad` immigrants? Not always, and even if we can it takes a lot of time and money.

Basically everything is boring, grey and in the middle despite the `efforts` of politicians and newspapers to make it look different.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 02:15

Westminster`s shambles telling Scotland`s far more democratically elected government that it`s not allowed to enact the headline policy upon which it was elected is the mask of equality slipping to reveal just a hint of the familiar face of British colonialism.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 09:00

Ahem…the Tories we’re returned with a majority, the SNP weren’t.
We are not a colony.
As as I’m aware, two referendums have taken place where the decision was to stay British. Gibraltar’s 99.99% and us 55%.
Speaking as one of the 55%, iI would welcome anther opportunity to tell the Nats to do one.

Post Edited (Tue 08 Nov 13:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 09:11

Good news then parboiled, folk would stop voting for them after independence. No point then.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 09:39

Wasn`t the voting system for Holyrood elections designed to minimise the possibility of one party gaining a majority of seats to encourage collaboration? Despite these strictures didn`t the SNP achieve a majority at one election and come within a seat of it at the most recent one? Comparing a majority at Westminster based on First Past the Post with a majority at Holyrood is like comparing apples and oranges

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 10:16

PR maybe fine on some occasions but anomalies do happen, there should be a limit on election attempts.

Conservative list MSP Murdo Fraser has had a 22 year career in the Scottish Parliament without once winning an election.
This has cost taxpayers over 1 million pounds
Murdo was Firstly rejected by the electorate in 1997 to last 2021 election.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 13:17

Meanwhile our great Leaderene is in Egypt promising millions of quid from Scot Gov budget to compensate for loss and damage suffered by developing nations due to climate change.
That is a reserved matter, the UK has a foreign aid budget for which Scots taxpayers contribute to already.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 13:50

What sort of relationship would it be if one half tried to force the other half not to even consider leaving?

What about if they forced you to break off contact with your European friends against your will?

Would anybody honestly describe that scenario as an equal relationship? Or would it be more correctly described as abusive?

How would the UK public have responded had Brussels tried to dictate whether they could hold a referendum to leave the EU?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 21:09

Sir Gavin Williamson has resigned as a government minister after allegations of bullying, saying he aims to clear himself of "any wrongdoing”.

He said he "refuted" how his "past conduct" had been characterised.
However, he said the claims had become a distraction from the government`s "good work".

He added he would comply with a complaints process concerning messages he sent a colleague, and that he had apologised to the recipient.

In his resignation letter, he said he was leaving government with "real sadness" but offered Prime Minister Rishi Sunak his "full and total support from the backbenches".

Just waiting on Cruella now .. Rishi the backstabber re-appointed both misanthropes

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 22:37

`Refuted` is the preferred word for politicians since it suggests some proof exists to discredit an allegation.
The more accurate term would have been `denied` or `disagreed with` which requires no concrete proof.

The Guardian sketch writer John Crace produces knockabout comedy from Westminster but his judgment on useless politicians seems very accurate. He has in the last couple of years identified Chris Grayling, Matt Hancock and Gavin Williamson as being utterly inept at their paid jobs and in every case he has been vindicated. Suella Braverman rates little higher than Liz Truss in his estimation. He sees the full frontal, unexpurgated horror of their incompetence on a regular basis.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 08:24

We’ve had years of full frontal horror nearer to home. She’s even got a pot belly now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 12:43

`Refuted` is the preferred word for politicians since it suggests some proof exists to discredit an allegation.

This is a good point and one I have made before (elsewhere).

The unwary will draw the inference that an allegation is untrue, when it has merely been disputed. Rebutted or repudiated might be better alternatives.

(I actually thought you were referring to someone else - it seems like it is a deliberate trick)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 17:18

Is that you shaming people on their body shape parboiled?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 17:30

Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 9 Nov 08:24

We’ve had years of full frontal horror nearer to home. She’s even got a pot belly now.

That`s either a low blow against our First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, or against Parboiled`s missus. Whichever it is, it`s uncalled for and lowers the tone of what little argument he can put up
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 19:20

What’s he done to deserve a knighthood, other than being a useless cabinet minister ?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 20:54

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Wed 9 Nov 19:20

What’s he done to deserve a knighthood, other than being a useless cabinet minister ?

He seems to hold the dirt on them!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net