DAFC.net
Home 09 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 You couldn`t make it up!
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 10:02

The UK minister responsible for the building of new pylons has been quietly reshuffled after it emerged he had campaigned against the structures in his own constituency.

The energy minister Andrew Bowie had been in charge of energy networks, including building pylons, since he took up his post in February 2023. In July he wrote on the blog he runs for his constituents in West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine that concerns among locals about new pylons were “a priority of mine”. He met local anti-pylon campaigners on multiple occasions.

In December the brief was passed to the climate minister Graham Stuart. No announcement was made but a change has been made on the government website.

It reads like a plot-line from `Yes Minister` or `The Thick of It`.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: You couldn`t make it up!
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 12:03

You have to laugh wee eck

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 13:22

That Andrew Bowie is an extremely unlikable character, a snivelling, sleekit, self-serving, slimy little barsteward.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 15:40

If I had been one of his anti-pylon constituents I would have demanded that he arrange a meeting with the Minister responsible.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 16:37

Judging by the content of your opening post Wee Eck I don`t see the problem. He met with some of his constituents who had a concern and he took their concerns seriously. Isn`t that what you want an MP to do?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 17:10

Isn`t there a conflict of interest? I think Bowie himself raised it as there was a potential breach of the ministerial code. How could a minister responsible for building pylons say concerns about building pylons in his constituency were `a priority of mine`? And why did it get to the point where responsibility had to be passed to another minister?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net