DAFC.net
Home 27 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 You’ll have had yer porridge
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 09:01

Jenni “thicko” Minto, Minister for Public Health, has included porridge and other oat based breakfast cereals in a proposed list of junk foods which could be controlled by sanctions on promotion and product placement.

Can’t stand it myself, but unsurprisingly this is causing much consternation and furious sporran twitching…

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: You’ll have had yer porridge
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 09:25

It`s the instant porridge oats pots that ar loaded with sugar that she is referring to.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 09:41

Aye, but Parboiled is in on the secret that any amount of sugar is rendered harmless by the simple addition of an oat.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 10:17

Yes I see that has been clarified now…but only after a furious backlash. Anyway what the eff is to with her and her nannying ilk if some folk prefer the convenience of ready to eat products?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 10:20

https://www.scotsman.com/health/researchers-find-clear-difference-in-health-of-scottish-and-english-children-4540109

From the Scotsman, Wow!!!🤔😲😲😲

Post Edited (Sat 02 Mar 10:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 10:25

I think it makes perfect sense that we tax more dangerous products at a higher rate to offset the increased costs to the NHS.

Asking people to cover the cost of their lifestyle choices is actually a pretty conservative notion.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 11:29

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 2 Mar 10:17

Yes I see that has been clarified now…but only after a furious backlash. Anyway what the eff is to with her and her nannying ilk if some folk prefer the convenience of ready to eat products?

Whats the issue with buying cheaper, healthier porridge oats, then just adding the sugar that you want yourself? 🤔 rather than buying a ready meal version of them…
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 11:40

The wider issue here is that the food industry and their allies in the food retailing industry would be quite content to slowly kill us all in the pursuit of profit if left to their own devices. Business doesn`t like government interference (unless it`s dishing out public money to them) but sometimes it`s necessary to protect the masses.

Post Edited (Sat 02 Mar 11:44)
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 11:57

The masses…how patronising

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 12:05

Just read that LA. Shame they’ll likely die younger.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 12:27

Any way who would put sugar in porridge .. Its salt !!

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 12:47

The issue I have with this and sugar tax is it doesn`t make healthier options cheaper. As we`ve seen with sugary drinks, the sugar one just goes up in price. Pepsi quietly removed a lot of sugar from normal Pepsi last year and replaced it with artificial sweeteners. Did the price drop? Did it hell.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 12:54

Hear hear! It has got to be salt every time, BPP.

Mind you, my grandfather liked a spoon of treacle in his porridge. They had odd tastes back then. He also had an addiction to sweeties called Oddfellows, which I haven`t seen in a very long time.

:)

I think a sugar tax is a pretty good idea. It follows the same principles as a cigarette tax, which was spectacularly successful here in Australia. I was shocked to discover that a packet of 30 cigarettes costs $60 here in Oz, which explains why only 10% of the population smoke today.

If consumers can be similarly weened off sugar products, the health benefits for everyone would be enormous.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 12:55

Quote:

jake89, Sat 2 Mar 12:47

The issue I have with this and sugar tax is it doesn`t make healthier options cheaper. As we`ve seen with sugary drinks, the sugar one just goes up in price. Pepsi quietly removed a lot of sugar from normal Pepsi last year and replaced it with artificial sweeteners. Did the price drop? Did it hell.

Also, look at the small print on the bottles where they have introduced artificial sweeteners. Many, such as IRN BRU, now have a warning about causing behavioural problems in children with ADHD
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 13:02

Careful with the salt,linked to high blood pressure. You cannae win..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 13:44

You`ll be surprised to know that the head of British Sugar is married to a Tory MP!🤔😲
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 15:33

Quote:

red-star-par, Sat 2 Mar 12:55

Quote:

jake89, Sat 2 Mar 12:47

Also, look at the small print on the bottles where they have introduced artificial sweeteners. Many, such as IRN BRU, now have a warning about causing behavioural problems in children with ADHD

I believe that`s the colouring rather than the sweetener but I can`t say I`m a fan of sweeteners. Taste horrid.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net