DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Driving while wearing a Niqab
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 06:35

I saw someone I presume to be a Muslim woman, driving a car the other day. She had the full face veil with a narrow slit for the eyes - is that a niqab?

At any rate, it was a filthy, wet day - visibility was poor and there were lots of kids around as schools had just finished. A couple of kids had a narrow squeak. I don't know if they stepped out in front of the car but the driver had to break sharply and tooted the horn before driving off.

I wonder if the face veil contributed to the poor driving conditions by reducing the driver's visibility even further? I know that if I get into my car with a hooded rain jacket in wet weather, the first thing I do is remove the hood before driving off as it impairs my peripheral vision. I've no idea if the face veil does the same but it might.

Is it legal to drive while wearing a niqab or does someone have to be seriously injured or worse, before it is outlawed?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Driving while wearing a Niqab
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 07:01

Look at the youngsters driving with their hoodies too GG

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 07:26

I would imagine that there isn't enough data to show if it is safe enough or not.
They should probably do some tests in driving simulators to see if there is an increased risk of accidents.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 08:49

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 08:54

Probably because stores have been robbed by guys wearing motorcycle helmets but no store has ever been robbed by a woman in a Niqab.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 09:11

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 09:40

I've never, in all my life, read such outrageous racism
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 09:42

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 10:39

To be fair I did say a store has never been robbed by a woman in a Niqab. I dare say it is possible that you could find a story of an example of this (not a man wearing one)but it is incredibly rare. What wasn't comparatively rare was for robberies to be carried out by individuals wearing motorcycle helmets. It's just businesses using common sense.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 11:02

Quote:

renegade master, Wed 6 Nov 08:49

GG Riva

A motorcycle helmet?

When it comes to the debate however, why should a motorcyclist be asked to remove their helmet when entering a store but not a Muslim woman/man (you don't know) removing their headgear for identification purposes when entering a store?

Funny you should post that, RM. Only last week, I heard on an Italian news channel that their Parliament is in the process of passing a law that would require anyone wearing a face veil to remove it when entering a public building, " to counter the threat of terrorism."

That will go down really well with Italian Muslims, if passed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 11:55

That's a really good move considering Europe has been inundated with attacks in public buildings from Muslims with covered faces.

Clearly the next step is to ban cars everywhere.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 20:32

It shouldn't be about the item, it should be about the fact you're conceiling your identity/limiting your field of vision.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Thu 7 Nov 01:32

So we should ban motorcyclists from wearing helmets, wet people from wearing their hoods up, builders from wearing dust masks, children from being in prams, etc, etc?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 7 Nov 02:04

In short, yes Wotsit.

I advocate banning EVERYTHING...

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 Nov 07:45

Quote:

Wotsit, Thu 7 Nov 01:32

So we should ban motorcyclists from wearing helmets, wet people from wearing their hoods up, builders from wearing dust masks, children from being in prams, etc, etc?

If the helmet severely restricts your field of vision then I'd suggest it's not a good helmet. The other things you mention wouldn't normally be worn whilst driving (fun fact - a mate of mine failed his driving test years ago for wearing a cap that the instructor felt impaired his vision).

In terms of being in public, many shops and petrol stations ask for helmets to be removed and hoods taken down.

It's all about being safe and sensible.

For driving I would suggest the bigger safety concern is people who don't understand how indicators work, are incapable of moving their bodies to LOOK at where they plan to manoeuvre their car, can't perform basic manoeuvres such as reverse parking and fail to understand that box junctions aren't just for decorative purposes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 Nov 17:56

I can tell you from experience that for a motorcycle helmet to do its job (protecting the head from massive impact) then it will, almost by definition, restrict your field of view. They are also quite heavy so it can be difficult to turn your head for a quick glance.

They do come in quite handy from time to time though.

I've seen people driving with their hoods up. Infinitely more often than I've seen some by driving in a niqab actually

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Thu 7 Nov 21:14

GG Riva - "I heard on an Italian news channel..."

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Nov 07:41

Quote:

Wotsit, Thu 7 Nov 17:56

I've seen people driving with their hoods up. Infinitely more often than I've seen some by driving in a niqab actually

Surely, that's irrelevant, Wotsit? It's not about the relative numbers of people doing it, but whether it's likely to endanger the lives of others.

Personally, I'd make it illegal to drive with either hoods or niqabs. Of course, the latter may leave me open to charges of racism, but, as "a foreigner in a foreign land", I'll take a chance on that. ☺

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Fri 8 Nov 21:20

Saw a boy getting hit by a car a few days ago on halbreath road. It was a combination of his own lack of attention and wearing a massive hood.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Nov 22:02

Based on driving today I'd definitely say wearing clothing that obscures vision is a minor issue. On a half hour drive I saw:

1. a guy in a Merc slam his brakes on because a lorry indicated it wanted to move in. Based on how his brake lights flashed it was obvious he'd set off his ABS. No idea why he slammed the brakes on as the lorry was clearly waiting until he passed.

2. A driver in the left hand lane (the one with a big left arrow) deciding they were actually going straight on and then almost driving into the side of the number 19.

3. A woman deciding it was too dangerous to drive at 40 past the leisure park so went 20(!) instead!

4. Some numpty going up the M90 with their hazards on. They were on a go slow and rather than pulling over they just carried on and were headed off on the A92 turn off as I passed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 00:55

<<1. a guy in a Merc slam his brakes on because a lorry indicated it wanted to move in. Based on how his brake lights flashed it was obvious he'd set off his ABS. No idea why he slammed the brakes on as the lorry was clearly waiting until he passed.>>

I drive a Mercedes GLC250 coupe and it has a built-in sensor that detects dangerous issues ahead. It automatically engages the brake at an intensity that the system deems appropriate at the time. It could well be that this is what happened when you saw it slam on the brakes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 06:13

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 8 Nov 07:41

Quote:

Wotsit, Thu 7 Nov 17:56

Surely, that's irrelevant, Wotsit? It's not about the relative numbers of people doing it, but whether it's likely to endanger the lives of others.

Personally, I'd make it illegal to drive with either hoods or niqabs. Of course, the latter may leave me open to charges of racism, but, as "a foreigner in a foreign land", I'll take a chance on that. ☺

You don't think that it's interesting when something receives more attention than it would appear to, relatively speaking, deserve?

In this case I wonder whether the cultural novelty makes us more likely to single it out whereas we are less likely to pay attention to something similar but more culturally familiar.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 08:34

Quote:

OzPar, Sat 9 Nov 00:55

<<1. a guy in a Merc slam his brakes on because a lorry indicated it wanted to move in. Based on how his brake lights flashed it was obvious he'd set off his ABS. No idea why he slammed the brakes on as the lorry was clearly waiting until he passed.>>

I drive a Mercedes GLC250 coupe and it has a built-in sensor that detects dangerous issues ahead. It automatically engages the brake at an intensity that the system deems appropriate at the time. It could well be that this is what happened when you saw it slam on the brakes.

The lorry was on the left and indicated as the guy in the Merc was beside him and near the front of the lorry. The lorry wasn't beginning a manouvre and it was fairly obvious they were hoping to be let out AFTER the Merc had passed. It turned out this was because the person further up had put their hazards on and continued driving rather than pulling into the hard shoulder. This meant the lorry assumed they were about to break down so indicated they wanted to move. Anyway, for whatever reason the Merc brakes and presumably began skidding. It was the saloon Merc (E class?).
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 10:36

Thanks, jake.

I don't know the answer to that one!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 10:45

I do - it was an idiot 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 12:42

Genuine question. Is a Niqab any more restrictive than long hair while driving?

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 12:45

In an open convertible, I would completely agree with you, AAPS...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 22:51

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net