DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Iran attacks US air base
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 00:20

Oh dear. Here we go...

Iranian state TV says Tehran has launched "tens" of surface-to-surface missiles at an air base inside Iraq in response to America's killing of a top Iranian general.

An American official confirmed rockets had been fired at the Al-Asad airbase in Iraq, which houses US forces.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Iran attacks US air base
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 00:44

White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham said: “We are aware of the reports of attacks on US facilities in Iraq. The president has been briefed and is monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team.”

“At approximately 5.30pm [Washington time, 1.30am in Iraq] on January 7, Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against US military and coalition forces in Iraq,” a Pentagon statement said.

“It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US military and coalition personnel at Al Asad and [Erbil].”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 01:41

Unfortunately, not unexpected.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sacha  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 06:27

Target picked so they could "miss" but not lose face
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 08:23

Gas mask and ration book back out the cupboard
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 09:06

Nice explanation of the total mess we are being dragged into.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENhVZelXsAE-YOV?format=jpg&name=medium

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 10:26

So Trumps assassination if a top Iranian aid has nothing to do with starting this?
Iran haven't attacked anyone in 300 years.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 11:49

The latest quality tweet from the Pentagon -

"Iranian missile attack resulted in casualties among Iraqis only"

Iraqis only...

I'll just leave that here for a minute...

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 15:27

So Iran, in their attempt to kill Americans, killed Iraqis instead.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 16:08

It doesnt look like they did, it's just what Trump said in a very bad Tweet.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 20:35

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 8 Jan 15:27

So Iran, in their attempt to kill Americans, killed Iraqis instead.

Hold on...you take Trump tweets as absolute?
My condolences to your intellect...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 21:56

Just repeating what was said earlier in the thread Rasta.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 05:12

There are literally dozens of American military bases surrounding Iran.

The United States has repeatedly threatened to invade Iran.

The United States instigated a coup in Iran which overthrew the democratic Iranian government.

Yet we are expected to believe that it's Iran who are the aggressors?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 06:50

Iranians are among the most gracious and welcoming people on the planet. A high proportion of their 84 million population is well educated. They are a sophisticated people with a rich history and culture.

Iran is a large country with a far more complex topography than its Gulf neighbours Iraq and Saudi Arabia. This is not a land of endless deserts with small pockmarks of humanity; this is a densely-populated mountainous country where it can be snowing in one part and a sweltering 40+ degrees in another.

The reality is that it would be a nightmare to engage in a war with Iran. Add to this, Iran's ability to almost instantly close the Strait of Hormuz, thus choking much of the world's oil and gas supplies, and it all adds up to a prolonged and ugly war that would impact every Gulf State with immense economic consequences for us all.

We have to hope that even the clownish Trump can grasp these facts.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 07:27

The Americans know full well how difficult it is to invade Iran.

They invaded via a proxy in 1980, sparking one of the most destructive and bitter wars the region has seen. They then abandoned their proxy (Iran-contra affair) and armed Iran because the proxy was doing too well. But then Iran started doing too well too, so the US gave their proxy detailed intelligence about Iranian troop movements knowing full well that the proxy was planning to use chemical weapons.

Then, in 2003, the US invaded the proxy.

People in the region have pretty good reasons for not trusting the US.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 10:38

The whole world should be this point be at a point where they shouldn't trust the US
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 13:50

Quote:

Andrew283, Thu 9 Jan 10:38

The whole world should be this point be at a point where they shouldn't trust the US

Im already at the boycott everything American stage until Trump is out.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 14:46

Quote:

PARrot, Thu 9 Jan 13:50

Quote:

Andrew283, Thu 9 Jan 10:38

Im already at the boycott everything American stage until Trump is out.

Hope your on an Android posting this. 😁
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 15:38

Android is American as well isn't it?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 16:45

Well, Lance Henrikson certainly was but I'm sure Ian Holm is English...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 18:07

Surprisingly many Americans are nice, trustworthy people and, as Oz says, Iran has its fair share of pleasant people too.

Maybe if some of these people were in charge of their respective countries things would be a bit better.

And apparently android (or the modern use of it) pre-dates both Lance and Ian and could be French.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 18:07

I believe Lance prefers the term artificial person.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 18:29

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 9 Jan 15:38

Android is American as well isn't it?

Yes but the phones aren't
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 18:39

But the software they run on and have to pay to a license for is American.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 18:49

Quote:

aaaaaaaaaargh, Thu 9 Jan 18:07

Surprisingly many Americans are nice, trustworthy people and, as Oz says, Iran has its fair share of pleasant people too.

Maybe if some of these people were in charge of their respective countries things would be a bit better.

And apparently android (or the modern use of it) pre-dates both Lance and Ian and could be French.

42% of their elligible voters should be locked up with their Führer for enablement.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 19:05

I think Android is free but the specific Google apps that are licensed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 19:10

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 9 Jan 18:39

But the software they run on and have to pay to a license for is American.

Ok. Get your Linux phone out and use that. Or wait for Huawei to release their version or use xiaomi software. Or get CyanogenMod installed. There are options

Post Edited (Thu 09 Jan 19:13)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 19:18

Quote:

jake89, Thu 9 Jan 19:05

I think Android is free but the specific Google apps that are licensed.

That's correct. Android is free to consumers and manufacturers bit the likes of Google apps are licenced. That's how hauwei could lose access. Not to android but to all the related apps
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 09:52

Now seems increasingly likely that Iran was responsible for the downing of the passenger plane and the resulting 176 deaths. Of course no suggestion that it was intentional but that will be of no consolation to the bereaved. These incidents have happened several times in the past during times of heightened tension as Iran know all to well after an American warship shot down an Iranian passenger plane in the 1980s.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 10:08

The Iranian government is pretty screwed if they, accidentally or otherwise, shot the airline down given that they have been propogandising flight 655 (the Iran Airlines flight the US accidentally shot down in 1988).

There were anti-government riots in Iran before this episode kicked off and they stopped after the assassination, but if the Iranian populace starts to believe that their government shot down a civilian airline in similar circumstances to flight 655 then the riots may well kick off again.

Which makes me think that they will never admit to it - they will find it only too easy to spin it as American propoganda given how much real American propoganda they are exposed to.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 10:09

I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories but I'm really struggling to see why Iran would be launching missiles at an aircraft on a flight plan out of Tehran airport.

For any coalition aircraft to get that deep into Iranian airspace and potentially be viewed as enough of a threat that the Iranians felt they had to shoot it down, it would have to have had significant stealth technology that inexplicably failed over Tehran and the pilot then decided to travel at the speed of a commercial airliner over hostile territory rather than the high speed that aircraft with that kind of technology could travel at.

I have no idea what really happened but I'm not buying the current spiel.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 11:24

The same thing that happened with flight 655. A jumpy commander and protocols not fit for purpose. The Iranians were perhaps expecting an immediate response to their rocket attacks and mistakes were made.
A video now has been released which to my, admittedly very amateurish eye, suggests that the plane was hit by a missile.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 11:25

Oops, edited because I appear to have posted the same post twice.

Post Edited (Fri 10 Jan 11:26)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 11:45

It's probably worth pointing out that this won't reflect badly on the Ayatollahs any more than the Iraq war reflected badly on the Queen here.

So civil unrest wouldn't necessarily give the US what it wants because it would be unlikely to be aimed at toppling the regime - just the government.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 11:52

Aye but the difference is between the Queen and the Ayatollah is that the Queen doesn't call the shots over here. The Ayatollah is the supreme leader and isn't just a ceremonial figurehead.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 11:59

The Queen has more political influence, and the Ayatollahs less, than folk believe. The Ayatollah's obviously have a much more tight control on processes and who can access political office, but they aren't really managing things day-to-day, so, for example, military training errors wouldn't be pinned on them any more than they would the Queen.

But I was more referring to the way that they are viewed in their society. Because neither has political scrutiny and strong establishment backing they are somewhat protected from criticism and this helps to keep them popular.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 13:02

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 10 Jan 11:24

The same thing that happened with flight 655. A jumpy commander and protocols not fit for purpose. The Iranians were perhaps expecting an immediate response to their rocket attacks and mistakes were made.
A video now has been released which to my, admittedly very amateurish eye, suggests that the plane was hit by a missile.

Sorry I've re-read what I posted and I'm not necessarily writing off the potential it was hit by a missile just that I find it extremely hard to believe it was mistaken identity that caused the shooting if it was one.

I'm obviously not a military tactician so I could be talking utter wash but I think there are some really big differences between the two scenarios.

The line from the US on the shooting down of the Iranian aircraft was that it potentially looked like a single war plane that could have been preparing to attack. They clocked it on radar at takeoff and continued to monitor it and made 10 attempts to contact it and then shot it down when they didn't get a response. 2 other US warships in the area apparently identified it as a commercial aircraft but this one didn't.

In the case of the Ukranian airliner that's just been shot down we're expected to believe that Iran's air defence system wasn't capable of detecting a commercial airliner taking off over its capital. It was an aircraft that somehow got into Iranian airspace undetected (probably not impossible with US stealth technology but then why would it crop up on radar?) but then appeared over the capital and the Iranians failed to either identify or contact the flight then mistook it for an enemy aircraft even though the chances of an enemy aircraft being there must be slim?

The amount of mistakes the Iranians would have to make for that to be feasible are way beyond the mistakes the US made in shooting down the Iranian airliner. Are the Iranian's really that incompetent? I don't think they are personally.

The US have claimed that the Iranians had been tracking the flight on radar and reports state that the plane had only been in the air for 2 minutes so if both of those bits of information are correct, Iran tracked an aircraft taking off from Tehran airport then shot it down within two minutes?

If it was hit by a rocket, I'd argue there's more potential that it was done deliberately to either stop something or someone leaving Iran (by either side) or as an outright false flag attack. I just think the mistaken identity argument has way too many holes.

There is obviously still a possibility it wasn't shot down despite current reports and everything I've typed is moot.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 13:17

Oh right I get what you're saying now. I'd have to assume it's a tragic error lest the Iranians have murdered a plane full of people.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 16:25

Or would anyone else have an interest in taking down the aircraft?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 16:40

Well if the video is accurate it looks like a ground to air missile.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 16:55

Tin hat time: every country has some sort of resource they can call on in pretty much every country and quite a few have the capability to remotely access systems to cause carnage.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 17:19

The usual Tories rubbing it to a stump over war....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 17:24

What have they been saying like?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 22:21

Quote :-

Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks like | nolike
Date: Fri 10 Jan 16:40

Jesus wept .. our self appointed political correspondent and war historian is now an aficionado on surface to air missiles
Do you think it was the RIM-7 sea sparrow or the FIM-92 stinger towk ?
Happy New Year
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 22:26

Sigh. And so it begins again.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 22:34

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 10 Jan 16:40

And so it begins...again.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 22:38

What begins again? You and Buspass's obsession with me? Nah that never ends so it can't begin again.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 22:49

LOL towk my last obsession was Ruby Murray great singer and lovely looking girl You are well down the list :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 23:00

Phew, I was getting worried for a second. Have a nice night now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 23:10

You too towk .bed time noo .. take care
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 Jan 05:37

I stand corrected - Iranian government has accepted that it was their missiles that brought the airline down and have called it an "unforgivable mistake"

Although the cynic in me noticed that the conciliatory and regretful statements were made in English and I'd like to know what tone was used in Farsi statements.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 Jan 07:34

Yeah that looks like I got that completely wrong! Apologies TOWK, appears you were correct!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 Jan 08:26

You were right towk well spotted appears you were correct RIP all the poor souls
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 11 Jan 09:00

The yanks were bound to have spy satellites monitoring everything in that area, would think they are bound to know what happened.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 Jan 09:27

I wasn't exactly being insightful. It was widely reported that many suspected the Boeing model, with an incredibly good safety record, didn't come down because of mechanical error. Even to a layman layman like myself the video footage looked like some sort of missile. A flash of light travelling from the ground to the plane and then exploding certainly fits into how I'd imagine a surface to air missile to perform.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 11 Jan 09:46

Iran has now admitted that they shot down the airliner - after vehemently declaring that they had no part in its destruction.

This tragedy is hugely embarrassing to the Teheran regime as well as their military.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 12 Jan 11:10

Now hearing that they had arrested the British Ambassador in Teheran.

Trump will be smugly watching the Iranian regime making a complete erse of themselves.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net