DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Debenhams
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 13:48

Get any vouchers spent pronto.

Editing to add a wee note to say I wasn't intending to underplay the impact of those employed by Debenhams or any of the concessions within Debenhams.

Post Edited (Wed 02 Dec 20:18)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Debenhams
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 15:05

Sad sad state of affairs jake89 they have been going for over 200 years
All these poor people out of a job just before Christmas... unless Ashley`s offer is accepted ...but I think I saw he had pulled out ?? ...obviously not enough profit in it for him :(

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 15:05

Nice comment jake89 I assume you or none of your family will lose their job because of this through no fault of their own.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Tue 01 Dec 16:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 15:29

Quote:

Buspasspar, Tue 1 Dec 15:05

Sad sad state of affairs jake89 they have been going for over 200 years
All these poor people out of a job just before Christmas... unless Ashley`s offer is accepted ...but I think I saw he had pulled out ?? ...obviously not enough profit in it for him :(

JD were going to buy. However, as a lot of their money is from in store concessions like Burton's, Dorothy Perkins etc it just failed to make sense
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 16:06

Quote :-
Topic Originator: da_no_1 like | nolike
Date: Tue 1 Dec 15:05

Nice comment. I assume you or none of your family will lose their job because of this through no fault of their own.

No we are all fine da..... me and the Wife well retired and Son and Daughter still in work up till now

I hope there is some rescue solution before they have to close

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 16:10

I hope Vue cinema buy it and turn it into a decent picture house.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 16:10

Quote:

Buspasspar, Tue 1 Dec 16:06

Quote :-
Topic Originator: da_no_1 like | nolike
Date: Tue 1 Dec 15:05

Nice comment. I assume you or none of your family will lose their job because of this through no fault of their own.

No we are all fine da..... me and the Wife well retired and Son and Daughter still in work up till now

I hope there is some rescue solution before they have to close

My response was directed to Jake sorry

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 16:16

I did wonder da ....no harm done

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 17:07

It`s a real shame and couldn`t have come at a worse time. 25,000 impacted when you also include Arcadia
Quite a lot of local people will be affected and will add even more worry to what has been a **** year.

Will the council do the right thing and encourage businesses fill up the empty slots in the Kingsgate and High Street by reducing the ridiculous rent and rates they charge? Will they remove parking charges?

If they did, then the people who will lose their jobs could find alternative work

Sadly, I won`t be holding my breath. Absolute shower of cretins

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 18:14

Wasn't intending to upset you there, da. Obviously awful for their staff. Looks like Arcadia going the same way. Mostly impacting on women in terms of employment so particularly bad for them.

I think Ashley pulled out ages ago. It was JD Sports who were interested but suspect Arcadia looking like they'll fail will impact on the decision given Arcadia have concessions in Debenhams.

I'd agree with the suggestion of a cinema. Big name retail is dying out as you can order it online. You can't order the cinema experience online unless you're particularly minted. Cinema with more restaurants around it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hay Fever  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 18:42

Debenhams had a big investment in the Actual Kingsgate when built, hence the big sign on the Carnegie Drive side. Wonder what the consequences this will have with the whole centre?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 18:54

I don't think they invested. I think they were used to draw people in. Fairly sure the guys who built the extension went bust (was a Northern Irish company) and it's now owned by a private equity firm.

This will impact towns and cities across the UK and I'd expect there'll be some people looking to fill the gap.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 19:17

Analysis from Aunty to where it all went wrong :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55144922

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Dec 14:07

Ashley may buy it. Not someone I think will be good for the business but it sounds like it would protect jobs for 12 months potentially.

I didn't realise all their units are rented. Many people in Dunfermline seemed to think the unit in the Kingsgate was owned by them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 9 Dec 16:29

Was it not the Miners Pension Fund that financed it, later sold on to one of David Murray's companies?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 9 Dec 17:33

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Wed 9 Dec 16:29

Was it not the Miners Pension Fund that financed it, later sold on to one of David Murray's companies?

I cant figure out what you are talking about.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Dec 19:33

I think LA means the Kingsgate. Murray owned it for a bit and may have been the one who got the floors redone prior to it being sold. It was an Irish company that owned it when the extension was done. The building work was done by one of their sister companies. I think they went bust.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 9 Dec 20:22

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Wed 9 Dec 16:29

Sorry, should have said the Kingsgate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 9 Dec 20:48

I hope Debenhams remains open albeit it was only ever busy in the beginning. Too big a store for the town imo, although I like their choice of departments.

It would make an excellent cinema GZ.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Dec 22:50

I don't think it's too big a store for Dunfermline but too big a store in general. Dunfermline was always busier than the likes of the Ocean Terminal one. Debenhams was/is effectively its own shopping centre without walls.

I too would like a cinema but imagine the development costs would be too much. If Debenhams doesn't work out I fully expect a TK Maxx. Their lease in the Mercat must be up now unless they renewed it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 10 Dec 12:27

Debenhams is arguably the biggest operator in the Thistle Centre, Stirling - probably their largest in Scotland after Glasgow and Edinburgh, maybe just Glasgow ?

It`ll be a disaster across all our "High Streets" if it does bust.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Dec 12:38

They have a great store at Ocean Terminal vee its on 4 floors If I remember
Also the Thistle centre is a nice store

I can remember when the Thistle centre was built mid 70`s and it still looks good today

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Dec 12:41

It's a domino effect. Take a look at the likes of Princes Street. It's lost Fraser's and BHS already. It may now lose a large Debenhams and large Arcadia store. I think the old BHS is being replaced by a hotel and restaurant.

As soon as M&S food opens at Halbeath we can kiss goodbye to the town centre shop as people aren't interested in their clothes. If M&S were to buy out Arcadia then that may change. It's a shame as M&S is generally good quality. What we could end up with is the tat clothes shops like Primark and New Look.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Dec 22:48

"They have a great store at Ocean Terminal vee its on 4 floors If I remember"

Didn`t know that- never been there.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Sun 13 Dec 22:22

Quote:

jake89, Thu 10 Dec 12:41

It's a domino effect. Take a look at the likes of Princes Street. It's lost Fraser's and BHS already. It may now lose a large Debenhams and large Arcadia store. I think the old BHS is being replaced by a hotel and restaurant.

As soon as M&S food opens at Halbeath we can kiss goodbye to the town centre shop as people aren't interested in their clothes. If M&S were to buy out Arcadia then that may change. It's a shame as M&S is generally good quality. What we could end up with is the tat clothes shops like Primark and New Look.

Not only that but alot of the shops on Princes Street are moving into the new St James centre.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Dec 01:23

At least 5 stores on Princes Street listed for the new St James - Next, Boots, Zara, JD and one other I forget. Next were previously in the St James so may keep two open. I'm sure Boots own the horrid building they have on Princes Street so unlikely to move.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Jan 12:38

Looks like they are doomed :-

Fashion retailer Boohoo has bought the Debenhams brand and website for £55m.
However, it will not take on any of the firm`s remaining 118 High Street stores or its workforce.

Boohoo said it was a "transformational deal" and a "huge step". But the deal means that up to 12,000 jobs at the department store chain are set to go.

12,000 jobs bloody hell !!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 25 Jan 15:36

Sad day for the workers and the retail spaces left empty.
As business readjusts to this pandemic the shopping world will be very different.

Retail therapy for ladies (as ladies do enjoy a good shopping experience) may be gone forever. Imagine the poor husbands who will now have their better halves wanting to be entertained on a Saturday instead of going being allowed to go to the football!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 25 Jan 17:43

Jenners in Edinburgh closing too; plans to convert it into a hotel with some retail outlets.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Jan 18:42

Sad The Debenhams at Ocean Terminal and Thistle centre in Stirling were lovely big shops ...Will they be filled ... time will tell ...Q Primark and Tacky Macky

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Jan 18:50

Sad to see them go. Greats a big hole in many town centres and that's a lot of jobs going. Assume Burton's and DP may be next.

Hopefully this may encourage landlords to drop rates and encourage more independent retailers. Problem is that Debenhams stores are big units and there's only really John Lewis, Primark or TK Maxx who can fill these spaces.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Jan 19:45

"Sad The Debenhams at Ocean Terminal and Thistle centre in Stirling were lovely big shops ...Will they be filled ... time will tell ...Q Primark and Tacky Macky"

Primark already have a big store in Stirling on one floor - can`t see them wanting to decant into a multi floor unit.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Doves  
Date:   Mon 25 Jan 23:05

It would make a braw big cinema, all lit up outside. An IMAX would be the dream but dreams are not made up the toon.

Maybe some decent places to eat anaw. Basically beginning the process of the town centre sucking the life out of a retail park in a heart warming reversal of fortune.

TOON CINEMA NOW!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Mon 25 Jan 23:14

Quote:

Doves, Mon 25 Jan 23:05

It would make a braw big cinema, all lit up outside. An IMAX would be the dream but dreams are not made up the toon.

Maybe some decent places to eat anaw. Basically beginning the process of the town centre sucking the life out of a retail park in a heart warming reversal of fortune.

TOON CINEMA NOW!

Love this.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Tue 26 Jan 12:41

I well remember accompanying my office pal to Jenners way back in the day, as he was looking to buy his Mum’s birthday present.

We were reasonably presentable, allowing for long hair and squint ties. Pal had a bit of swagger about him being a city boy, where I was just a hick from the sticks.

He bounds confidently up to steps only to be blocked by the doorman resplendent in uniform...” Do you really want to shop here sir?” says he.

Oh well off to C&A!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: auldpar  
Date:   Tue 26 Jan 13:51

I was in Jenners men's department and heard this deep voice moaning and cursing about not being able to find what he was looking for. I could see the woman he was talking to but not him - until I went round the other side of the rack - it was Ronnie Corbett! Completely different to his TV image!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Tue 26 Jan 14:23

Jenner`s always had the best Christmas tree in Edinburgh.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Jan 15:25

I mind my late father saying that one of the Jenners was in his REME basic training intake during WW2.

Might have been the eldest son, heir to the family business.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Tue 26 Jan 16:24

It was a bit of a maze, maybe deliberately designed so you couldn’t find the way oot!.
Agree about the Xmas tree - super, but how on earth did they get it through the door..?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Tue 26 Jan 16:57

I'm sure they got there Xmas tree from blair adam Forrest aswell
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Tue 26 Jan 17:04

That got me looking for the year they provided it or if it was every year blair adam forrest provided it but it come up with videos on how they get it in there and decorated
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net