DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Long posts
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 16:32

A few thoughts re long posts. There are exceptions but on the whole once a post goes beyond about 100 words I will avoid reading them.
I will read even less if it is not paragraphed or punctuated.

Do other folk have any views?
Keep it brief ;-)

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Long posts
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 17:03

Lazy git.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 19:55

JBob, your brief post was already a third of the way towards being too long for you to read back.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 20:13

I thought it was another fence installer topic
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 20:43

Like it ^^^^^ :)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 21:26

I dont mind long posts. What i loath is people copying the entire content when replying.
The first line is enough.

Makes threads miles long.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 21:37

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 28 Feb 21:26

I dont mind long posts. What i loath is people copying the entire content when replying.

Yeah I know 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 08:24

I don`t mind long posts at all if they have something to say. The secret is not to be repetitious. I am guilty of writing at length on occasions, as is sammer and GG and socks, and several others, but generally speaking, length is not an obstacle to good and interesting expression.

For me, the bugbear issue is grammar. Yes, I know that we didn`t all enjoy our English lessons at school and that could be as much down to a poor quality teacher as to an inattentive student.

In the past, I would tend to notice an individual error, suggesting that the error was probably rooted from schooldays. However, now I am frequently noticing more and more collective errors that suggest the root is more recent and broad spread.

Two good examples of this that seem to come up time and time again on dotnet are the misuse of "of" and "have", and "led" and "lead".

To be clear...

Should of, would of, could of are all wrong. Should have, could have, would have are all correct.

Similarly, the past tense of lead is "led", not "lead". "Roy Barry led the Pars onto the Hampden pitch..."

Yup, this is more than 100 words.

:)

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 08:27

You're lucky Peter doesn't post on here anymore. His typos used to be epic.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 09:10

Do schools teach grammar any more? Listening to professional communicators like broadcasters (and I don`t just mean football pundits) you`d think not.

Isn`t it the prevalence of `text speak` which causes people to write in a phonetic rather than a grammatical way? Confusing `lose` and `loose` is another common mistake.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 09:59

I have a problem with extra apostrophes, they make me physically cringe.

Missing apostrophes don't bother me nearly so much though.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 10:26

Quote:

widtink, Sun 28 Feb 21:37

Quote:

Yeah I know 🤣

Couldn't agree more
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 10:34

Quote:

Andrew283, Mon 1 Mar 10:26

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I know 🤣

Couldn't agree more

Hmmm. Maybe the app should offer a "New Post With Start of Quote" option? Or even better, just show the start of the quote with an option to tap to expand the rest, but not sure how I'd technically achieve that!

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 11:05

In longer posts you might just want to quote a part of it. I edit when doing this but it would be easier to select/highlight the text you want to quote and have the app "quote with selected".

While writing that I thought "maybe you can do that already", so I checked and can't even select text (Android app).

I also often give up on long posts, especially if just one mass of text. If on PC then far more likely to see how long it is before starting and therefore more willing to read to the end. The wider screen also makes it look shorter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 17:18

Quote:

Milos Drizzle, Mon 1 Mar 10:34

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I know 🤣

It is important to include a bit of what you are replying to. Remember when we had folk falling out because they thought someone replied to them but it was for a post further up.

Post Edited (Mon 01 Mar 17:20)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 18:26

Quote:

PARrot, Mon 1 Mar 17:18

Quote:

Milos Drizzle, Mon 1 Mar 10:34

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I know 🤣

It is important to include a bit of what you are replying to. Remember when we had folk falling out because they thought someone replied to them but it was for a post further up.

I agree 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 18:27

Quote:

parsfan, Mon 1 Mar 11:05

In longer posts you might just want to quote a part of it. I edit when doing this but it would be easier to select/highlight the text you want to quote and have the app "quote with selected".

While writing that I thought "maybe you can do that already", so I checked and can't even select text (Android app).

I also often give up on long posts, especially if just one mass of text. If on PC then far more likely to see how long it is before starting and therefore more willing to read to the end. The wider screen also makes it look shorter.

Note that you need to use the button in the post to "Enable text selection" in order to then select text in the usual Android way.

Having a "Post with selected quote" could be the best option on balance.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net